X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adejoie
    • Dec 2005

Classe CDT-300 vs. CDP-300

Hi all, this is my first time posting but I have a question about the Classe CDT-300 vs. the CDP-300. I've already purchased the SSP-600 and the CA-5200 and am trying to decide on the CD/DVD player. Is there a significant cost difference between the CDT and CDP? I know the CDP is $6500 retail but cant find any pricing info on the CDT. Also I'm planning on using with an all B&W system: 803s, ASW825, HTM3s and either in celing speakers like the 8NT or the SCMS. any suggestions?
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

I don't think the CDT is out yet, but my dealer said it would be going for $4500.

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
      • Dec 2005

What are supposed to be the differences between the two as far as sound quality and format/features?

Thanks,
      Dave

Comment

• Kobus
        • Aug 2005

What will be the primary use of your system?

Kobus

Comment

• skuzzyb
          • Mar 2006

From what I have read, the CDT is a Transport, the CDP has post processing. The CDT is mainly designed to be mated with the SSP900 which is scheduled to be released soon. So, if you want all the video processing, then the CDP is the way to go from what I have read.

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

I have not heard any details about the SSP-900, so to assume that it has a 2 channel DAC is purely speculation...

Basically, a transport does not have any DACs and a processor does. If you don't have them onboard, you have to buy an external DAC to do the digital to analog conversion.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• rickc
              • Sep 2006

I had the same decsion to make when I purchaed my system 6 months ago. I have the Classe SSP600, B&W 802D's, 5200 and the Classe CDP-300. The difference between the CDP and the CDT is the ability to play DVD-Audio thru the analog inputs/outputs on the CDP. The CDT has no analog inputs/outputs, just digital. The price difference is about $2,000. So I thought long and hard and figured that if I was going to spend $50K for a dream system, then I wasn't going to pass up the CDP. Additionally, the analog outputs do sound warmer then the digital outputs. In fact I play alot of two channel music thru the analog outputs versus the digital outputs.

The other question that you need to consider is how much DVD-Audio music do you have in your library? They are very hard to find and their is only certain types of music that you will find. That is something that you should consider? I would be tempted to look at the new Classe 502, because it has the best audio set up from the CDP202. But it is about $8K vs $6.5K.

Feel free to ask any additional questions thru this site. I love my system, but I am considering to trade up the Classe 5200 to 2-Classe 400 mono block's and a 3200. The 3200 will drive my rears and the center channel and the CAMs will drive the 802D's. If anyone has made this comparrison please let me know your thoughts. I believe that it will cost me about $10K for the upgrade because my dealer will take back the 5200 and provide a $2K credit toward the new amps

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

The CDT-300 will play DVD-A discs, but with the SSP-600 you will not get the high resolution audio tracks. The only way to get them is through the HDMI output and since the SSP-600 does not have HDMI you would have to use the other digital conections for audio. The TOSLINK, S/PDIF (coax), and AES/EBU (balanced XLR) will do the standard two channel and DD or dts only. If you want to do DVD-A discs and get the high resolution audio tracks then get the CDP-300. I have not done a comparision of the CDT-300 with the SSP-600 as the DAC and the CDP-300 using the SSP-600 as a preamp only. It sounds like rickc has and liked the CDP-300.

If your focus in on movie playback and video performance, they are the same in that regard.

As for the SSP-900. It will not exist. Classe has decided not to build it. They are going to have a new model or two next year, but the SSP-900 will not be one of them.

I hope this helps.

Eric

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

Preampli

Hi,
                  I live in Switzerland and at this monment my set is B&w803s mains, htm3s center, 805s rear. 750sub. Rotel Rsp1068 + 2x RB1092 (2x500watt pro pc. mains & rear) plus a RB1091 (mono 500w. center)

I want hcange my Preampli:
                  Classè SSP300 nice but not XLR, 600 much better and not only for XLR (a price differnt is not only in XLR output).
                  contra: not scaler , hdmi.
                  Meridian same "problem"

Freind say me Anthem D2: what do you thibk?

Omar

Comment

• Celt16
                    • Dec 2006

Anthem vs Classe

Omar,
                    Note - my experiences are with the AVM-50, not the D2 - but I'm told they are virtually identical. I tried Anthem's AVM-50 in a similar set-up - B&W 803 fronts, 805 rears and an ASW850. I had troubles with a number of Anthem units, and was unimpressed with Anthem's tech support - especially versus Classe's tech support.

Classe makes me feel as if I bought a Rolls Royce - really responsive, and they didn't mind helping me diagonose the WHOLE system - Classe AND other gear. Classe has first rate customer service, and offered me a world class experience. Anthem's support made me feel like I bought a Yugo - I was not impressed with their support. When the preamp arrived, the AM/FM tuner didn't work. I tried 2 FM and 2 Am antennae - to no avail. Anthem support told me to move my AVM-50 to another room to see if that fixed the problem) ... yeah, like THAT was going to fix a non-functioning tuner.

Anthem eventually replaced the unit, which fixed that problem. But the replacement unit also thumped through all speakers on power-on and power-off - Anthem says it's normal, but it doesn't happen with other preamps. Finally, several months later, the new unit stopped outputing video. In my opinion, their QC dept needs an overhaul - this is not how a $5K preamp should behave.

I am not out to do an axe-job on Anthem - I know their stuff is highly regarded, and other people have ahad very positive experiences. However for my money, and with my experiences - there is no choice - I'll spend my money with Classe, Rotel and B&W from here on out.

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Classe's technical support is second to none. It's THE reason why I keep coming back and THE reason why I will remain a loyal customer and THE reason why I can recommend them without hesitation and Classe' knows it because I personal told them so.

They are not perfect but they will go to extreme measures to correct their mistakes and ensure that you are a FULLY satisfied customer, often times at their expense. They are the BEST and this is not an opinion. I challenge anyone to contradict it.

I have been through the process, twice, I have friends that have been through the process and have seen other people like you go through the process and the story has always been the same... great service.
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Minardi2
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by rickc
                        Feel free to ask any additional questions thru this site. I love my system, but I am considering to trade up the Classe 5200 to 2-Classe 400 mono block's and a 3200. The 3200 will drive my rears and the center channel and the CAMs will drive the 802D's. If anyone has made this comparrison please let me know your thoughts. I believe that it will cost me about $10K for the upgrade because my dealer will take back the 5200 and provide a $2K credit toward the new amps
                        What are you currently using for the surrounds? I am considering purchasing a CA-3200 (as it's sitting in my HT right now on loan) with the intentions of it driving my 803S and HTM3S. But having a 6.1 system, I was thinking I was crazy to have two CA-3200s, with one driving my three DS7s. It just doesn't seem worth it to go that route, hence my question as to what you have for surrounds.

The price change for '08 has sort of forced my hand to make a decision earlier than I would have liked. In fact, I need to let my dealer know Wednesday if I'm keeping the 3200 or bringing it back. I have this (insane) vision of getting the SSP-800 when it comes out, and having all Classe gear would be nice, but I think I'm reaching diminishing returns on investment from the Krell Showcase gear I currently have.

I noticed your signature says you're in Chicago - - I'm assuming you bought your gear at Audio Consultants?? I've spent a lot with them in '07. 8O

Comment

• rickc
                          • Sep 2006

It has been a while since I posted on this site.

A few months back I purchaed two Classe CAM 400's and also all new Transparent power cords and speaker cables for my system.

Currently I have the following system and I have been very happy with my choice of having all Classe with B & W

Classe SSP-600
                          Classe CDP-300
                          Classe 5200
                          Classe CAM- 400's
                          Richard Gray 1200
                          B&W 802D's
                          B&W SCMS
                          B&W HTM2D
                          B&W ASW 825 Sub

I have the can bus feature working with all of my Classe gear and it is working great.

My next step may be to upgrade my CDP-300 to a CDP-502 or just add a CDP-202. I have been interested in making my two channel system sound the best that I can? I have a balanced setup and I am close to upgrading my interconnects to Transparent as well? I bought my speakers from Barretts and the Classe eqipment from Sound and Vision. I purchased my interconnects and speaker cables from Audio Consultants. I replaced my Audioquest cables with Transparent cables.

Has anyone out there compared the CDP 300 to the CDP202? I have read all of the reviews and understand that it it is a better cd player. But is it worth $6500??? over the CDP-300???

I will send some pictures in a few days

Comment

• KnyazHM
                            • Jul 2014

CDT-300 can output digital stream DVD-Audio 24/192 on COAX or AES?
                            Mark Levinson No.512, Marantz UD9004, Toshiba SD-900E, Toshiba SD-9500, Line Magnetic Mini 218IA EL84 SE, Agape Audio Labs 2A3 SE, Omega MaxHemp with Hemptone FR6.5, Audio Note AN-K\LX

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"