X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobEddie
    • May 2005

Newbie needs some advice.

Hi im looking to get a new strereo set up, nothing fancy or expensive, just a bit of an upgrade from my crap. All i have is a sony mini hifi, hooked up to some audioline :roll: speakers. 130 watts i think. Theyre big but thats about all, they sound ok to me, but thats caus i dont have better to compare too. I wanted to get a turntable, and ive decided on the simple Pro-ject debut 3, and maybe rotel RA-01 (i dont have much money), and any B+w speakers for around $500-800 aus. if thats possible. Would i be better off getting cheaper brand speakers or different amp? thanks for your help.
  • turbokuo
    • Feb 2005

BobEddie,

I would use most of your budget on speakers like a pair of 602's...Best bang for the buck and it will sound much better than what you have now.
    Last edited by turbokuo; 10 May 2005, 17:50 Tuesday.

Comment

• stringzz
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by BobEddie
      Would i be better off getting cheaper brand speakers or different amp? thanks for your help.
      I would stick with the B&W's and you can always upgrade your amp/receiver later down the road. If you are buying bookshelf speakers, you might want to think about a subwoofer to fill in the gaps of the low range.

I think your better off with a decent speaker IMHO.

Yes budget is a concern, but in hi-fi, the budgets always seem to break Good luck!

Comment

• perato
        • Jan 2005

The price point of 602 is very competitive. Some people have liked Axiom, which might be a better value. There is nothing wrong with the 602 though.
        In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

• brendon
          • Aug 2004

Hi Bob ,The B&W602 is a lovely bang for the buck speaker .If you wish to compare a simalar speaker try the Focal JM lab Chorus 707s which is slightly cheaper but also good value and both are widely availible here in Australia.
          Brendon

Comment

• georgev
            • Jul 2004

I would go for good speakers first and the work on the amp. later.
            Try to obtain used CDM1NT's. They do appear for less than 1K on audiogon. They are superb and you can add a sub. later.
            Their prices have further dropped since the new 700 series have come out.
            They are in a different league from the 602's and not very different in cost(but used).

Comment

• BobEddie
              • May 2005

What about these "Monitor Audio Silver S2 Main" instead of B+w's. How do they compare for price and quality. Some people say theyre as good or better, what do you guys think? are they totally crap?

thanks.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"