X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wrightie
    • Apr 2005

7 series setup

Hi all, just jumped into the B & W cult by purchasing a 7 month old set of 703's. I have two sets of CMM 65's in my kitchen & Dining Room, sound beautiful. Advice needed:

1. I would like a set of 705's or similar for the rear speakers in the lounge to complement the 703's, any comments or thoughts would be useful.

2. I would like to get a HTM1 as the centre speaker. Would this balance well with the 7 series.

3. Any other advice on positioning, toeing in, placing on granite etc most welcome.

I've never before touched HiFi stuff before (I'm a newbie) so please keep things simple, thanks.

Regards

Wrightie
  • martino
    • Aug 2004

A assume you mean the old HTM1...I feel that would be overkill with the 703's.. I have the old HTM2 (now HTM4S) with 704's and am very pleased. I feel one should keep the ctr channel within the same product range as the mains..unless you plan to upgrade the mains to 800 series in the future (i am going from 704's to 803's next month).
    As far a toe-in etc.....just listen and play around with set up..try to keep the 703's about a foot from the wall (if they have a rear bass port like the 704's).

Have fun!

Martin

Comment

• Wrightie
      • Apr 2005

Hey Martino,

Thanks for replying quickly. I'm not sure if it's the "Old" HTM1 but it's in the Nautilus range. I think it looks great with the 703's & will sound good too. However, with you saying it may be overkill could be a deciding factor. Do you think it may "Out perform" the 703's?

I've looked at the HTM7 & it looks "Boxy" to me. Aesthetics matter in my setup as I know I don't have to worry about the quality of the sound......

I've also been looking at the "FPM5" flat speaker which will match my LCD screen when I get it, any thoughts?

Thanks once again, keep up the good advice.

Cheers

Comment

• RobP
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

I would have to disagree on the HTM1 being overkill, That center is the best that you can buy (besides the new line). Its FSt midrange is going to be a closer match for the FST midrange in the 703. I used a HTM2 with my 803's for a short time and didnt like it. You should make all of your front speakers match. I dont know why B&W didnt make a center that matches the 704 and the 703, that would have been a smart move.
        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• martino
          • Aug 2004

Perhaps "overkill" was not the best choice of words...I forgot the 703's have the FST midrange that my 704's don't...inthat regard soundgravy is correct. Yes i think the HTM1 would "outperform" the 703's.
          The FST midrange match however makes good sense to me...go for it and enjoy!

Martin

Comment

• Wrightie
            • Apr 2005

Thanks guys for the replies

Comment

• JCL
              • Apr 2005

HTM1 is a big speaker, yes it will outpreform but is there a problem in that? I know lotts of people with that kind f setup who swaped there HTM7 for a HTM1 (Nautilus offcourse not HTM1D) because they missed something in there HTM7 or even in there HTM2. So whatever you want, just try it out in the store or at home (if the dealer agrees on that) and make the choise that you are happy with.

Comment

• Wrightie
                • Apr 2005

I'm going to sit on the fence for awhile & ponder the choices, also the great info you guys have given. I'm even thinking about getting an FPM centre speaker to match the LCD screen I'm going to buy.............eventually.

Thanks for all the views. Keep them coming, to help me get off the fence of course.

Wrightie

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"