X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stringzz
    • Apr 2005

B&W 805 with a pushed in tweeter

Hi there,

Does anyone know if a pushed in tweeter would effect sound. Actually, I took the tweeter apart and pushed it back out from behind. Now it looks like a wrinkled alum tweeter, but I got it back to it's original shape as best as possible without ripping it.

It is driving me crazy knowing that it is damaged. I don't hear any problems coming from it though.

FYI, No, I did not push it in out of curiousity.
    Last edited by stringzz; 27 April 2005, 17:19 Wednesday.
  • Ash
    • Dec 2004

If i was in this situation, I would try to replace the dameged peice, even if it did not effect the sound. I would not rest untill it is replace, I would go crazy jumping from right to left speaker to try and notice the difference between them.

I know this doest answer your question. But this is what I would do.

Good luck

Comment

• stringzz
      • Apr 2005

Ash,

I am feeling like that. I am just wondering if the cost is warranted. My plan was to get a HTM2 (center) and replace the tweeter with the 803. I guess I need to price the cost of a tweeter.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

I'd replace it as I couldn't stand the thought of having that happen to any of the tweeters on any of my speakers.

My friend caved his in when pulling it out of the box...and he just left it. We can't notice any difference in sound and since he has the grill on the speaker you can't see it...so he's fine with it. But for me... ehhh no way, I'd have to get that replaced.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• Ash
          • Dec 2004

I dont think it will be that expensive to replace the alluminum peice. I mean, the rest of the tweeter is fine, its just going to be that individual part that needs replacing.

Im guessing that fixing it won't be expensive. However, there is a possibility that you have to wait for the part to be ordered.

However, I'm wondering if the alluminum part of the Nuatilus series could be replaced by the same aluminum part in the 600 series tweeters. This could be an option.

I dunno, I'm just brain storming

Comment

• stringzz
            • Apr 2005

Ash,

Good point, I should find out how much it will cost.

I wonder if I could just fashion my own tweeter out of some sheets of reynolds wrap? :T

Comment

• caleb
              • Aug 2004

Interesting this one - if it sounds O.K. then why add to expense and replace it?

However I know it will drive you crazy just knowing about it and of course looking at it.

Comment

• RobP
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Ash, that replacement dome is $120 from any dealer, Also no other tweeter from any other line will work, the Nautilus tweeter is a different animal, some may say that you can use a tweet from the CDMNT series but the Nautilus tweeter voice coil is wound different. Good Luck!

Robert P
                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• stringzz
                  • Apr 2005

gravy,

$120 bucks? That is totally worth it. Have you had your nautilus tweeter replaced before? Is it user servicable?

Comment

• RobP
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Hey Stringzz, I have replaced a couple of them, They are real easy to change. the front part of the housing comes of by holding the back of the tweeter tube right behind the split and turning the front section counterclockwise about a quarter of a turn. The tweeter is pressure fit in the front so when you pull the front housing forward do it slow and pull off the leads and pull the tweeter out. Just reverse this order to install the new one. Keep in mind to use a firm but gentle hand when doing all of this. Good luck
                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Ash
                      • Dec 2004

Soundgravy,

When I bought my speakers N805 (demo) and took them home, I noticed that the tweeter was pushed-in and fixed. Therefore, I asked them to change the tweeter part for me.

The thing is, the Nautilus range is not popular in my country, therefore, I know that the dealer only has a few other Nautilus speakers in the shop (maybe one pair of 804 ane htm2), they actually stopped supplying Nautilus after they were sold. Furthremore, I'm confindent that they don't have any Nautilus spare parts.

The thing is I was alway afraid that they have replaced my tweeter with an aluminum part from a cheaper model. Is that possible?? And if so, will it have a significant effect??

Comment

• RobP
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Hello Ash, if they are no longer a dealer for B&W I would email B&W directly and tell them what your problem is, if you registered your speakers with them and have the serial number and receipt they may send you a replacement free of charge. I would not replace that tweeter with anything but the original. The design of that tweeter corresponds with the design of the crossover, so it all works together.
                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Ash
                          • Dec 2004

Thanks Soundgravy, I think I'm going to contact B&W, and try to get a replacement. The funny thing is I forgot which speaker that had the tweeter replaced, because they were moved recently. Is there anyway to know which one was replaced???

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                            • May 2004

I feel for your pain Ash, it would drive me crazy knowing that there's a dent there and it won't look as nice when I take the grilles off. I once had one of the port blocking foams fall into the back of my 603s one time. It drove me crazy trying to get it out, and the port is so small, that I couldn't just reach inside and pull it out.

Comment

• Ash
                              • Dec 2004

BlazeMaster, thanks for your consideration. I actually made the dealer replace the tweeter as soon I discovered that It had a (fixed dent) since it was a demo. However, you know I got the "audiophile syndrom" for a while. I just tested the speaker over and over again. Jumping from left to right, trying to notice any difference. However, I couldn't notice anything.

Therefore, I been in a situation similar to Stringzz's.

I mean I almost went crazy with a replaced tweeter, so I can't imagine, what I'm going to do if it got push-in.

Comment

• caleb
                                • Aug 2004

Ash, just as you were going crazy - were you listening to music or your speakers?

Or don't you know the difference? :rofl:

Comment

• Ash
                                  • Dec 2004

Caleb,
                                  I was just trying to conclude whether the new tweeter was functioning like the original one. Therefore, I was listening to different sound tracks with distinct high freq sounds and comparing the two tweeters against each other. So I guess I was listening to both.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                    • May 2004

I think I just jinxed myself by opening my mouth on this thread. My dog just pushed the tweeter on my LCR600. It's on a Sound Anchor Center Channel stand, so it's within his reach. Now it's got a dent in it, what should I do with? Will my dealer be able to replace the tweeter on a LCR600, since the tweeter is not isolated like the higher end B&W line?

Comment

• PewterTA
                                      • Nov 2004

Yes, your dealer should be able to replace it for you. The tweeter just slides right out if I remember correctly. Not too hard to get to and to fix. You could probably even do it yourself...
                                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                      -Dan

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                        • May 2004

Yea, but they told me that would void my warranty. I'm going to bring it in tomorrow morning, too bad it'll take about 3 weeks. What am I going to do in the mean time?

Comment

• RobP
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2004

Just have them call you when the part comes in, why would they want to keep your speaker sitting on a shelf for three weeks? They sound like a bunch of goons. Whenever I have problems my B&W dealer will just ask for the serial number, he orders the part and calls me to pick it up when it comes in. I then repair it myself.
                                          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Kens1
                                            • Mar 2005

Ouch, I know what you mean about that sort of thing driving you crazy even if it doesn't affect the sound - just knowing it's there. Seven years ago when my daughter was 2 she jammed a pen through the speaker cover and punctured the woofer. The sound did not seem do diminish at all but a week later those speakers were at my father in laws and I was at the dealer getting a new pair. My father in law did not seem to mind cause it was a free pair of speakers for him.

Comment

• stringzz
                                              • Apr 2005

Ken, sounds like kids and Hifi aren't a very good match. I worry about that when I become a father someday.

Comment

• hanser
                                                • May 2002

My CDM center speaker got a dent in it, when my son was 1 year old (he managed to remove the covering grid). Unfortunately the tape pull out trick did not work in this case. I could not hear a difference, hence I left it. I thought, one day I will replace it. Now I have lived with it for 4 years and had almost forgotten it, when I read this topic. I donĀ“t think I will ever replace it.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                                  • May 2004

Soundgravy, I guess they want me to start looking for other options for the LCR600 during that 3 weeks...LOL, which I did!
                                                  I found a HTM7 used at a reasonable price in the Pawn Shop. Now I'm looking to upgrade my 603s to the 704s through my dealer's upgrade policy. I can trade my 603s for full credit towards the 704s.

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"