X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • corysmith01
    • Feb 2005

Back from the dark side.

Recently, unforseen circumstances forced me to return my newly purchased DM601 s3's and my matching LCR60. After the dark cloud had passed, I was back on the prowl looking for new speakers, but before running out to get my B&W's, I figured "hey, I've got a mulligan here." So, I did some research and some demos and ended up NOT getting the B&W's. I went with a pair of Paradigm Monitor 5's and a matching CC-370.

I had them for one night.

Did they sound nice? Yes. But better than my 601's? Not hardly. Then, there are the little things. We all rave about the sound of a speaker, but there's more to a speaker than the sound. There's the fit and finish. Huge consideration? No. But, a consideration none-the-less. I was definitely less than impressed with the Paradigm's. The plastic screw-on's for the posts had me longing for the metal ones on my 601's. The screen on the center unlovingly glued to uninspiring looking particle board made me sigh. Yes, my 601's sounded great, but B&W didn't stop there. The attention to detail is certainly to be commended. And this is on the 600 series!!! I can't imagine the detail on the higher ends. This, to me, says a lot about B&W...and is a reason why I'll never stray again.

So, as I type this, a new pair of 601's, picked up today, sit atop stands in my living room, occupying space that should have never been consumed by another speaker company. It's good to be home.
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Nice!
    B&W

Comment

• Murunga
      • Feb 2005

Hehe, same boat here RCD.
      I purchased a pair 802N's (not here yet).
      I have agreed to terms on a HTM1 (sending funds today)
      Now for "the rest", lol : ).

Murunga

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Cory, that's good to hear you got your 601s back!

I agree with you it's the attention to detail that I also (besides the sound) really like with B&W. I have a full 600 series setup (604/LCR600/602x4) and I am constantly facinated by the sounds and looks of the speakers. And like you said, they are only the 600 series! I can't wait to move up to the 800 series at some point.

Course if I could get deals like RCD...then I'd be all set. The N802Ds are my pinnacle for what I can afford...but first I need pay off all my gear...
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"