X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

803D vs. N803

How much does break-in effect the 803Ds?

I auditioned both, and yes the 803Ds are better, but are they $2500 better? That's the tough question.

The problem is the N803 were well broken in, while the 803Ds were very new, less than 24 hours.

I will need to have another listen once the 803D have properly been run-in. Any estimations of how much time is required?
  • OmegaSpeed
    • Mar 2005

Junior, my 802D's have changed quite a bit the first few days, so I highly recommend letting the 803D's get some more time on them. I didn't like my S805's the first 4 days; if I hadn't heard a pair in my system that was broke in prior I would of questioned my purchase.

Also, you refer to the N803 above, are you talking the previous N line or the new 803S?

Comment

• junior77blue
      • Nov 2004

I'm debating between NEW 803D vs. Dealer Demo N804 (previous Nautilus series).

I did prefer the 803Ds but did not think they were worth the additional cost. However, I'd be purchasing new vs. dealer demo stock.

Another question, how will this sound in HT application with an 'old' HTM2? In addition to the fact there is no FST driver, now the tweeter is different as well....ugh! One reason why I would think the old 803 is a 'better' buy.

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
        • Mar 2005

I would send an email to B&W on your question about your HTM2 matching the new speakers.

As for the speakers you are considering, I will give MY opinion. The new tweeter, that started in the Signature line, is a nice improvement over the N tweeter and the diamond tweeter is another step beyond that, so personally I would forgo the N803 and if you didn't want to spend the money for the 803D's, consider the 803S's. Just my opinion. See if you can bring the N803's home, if they float your boat, purchase them and be happy, but I wouldn't pay no where near list for them.

Comment

• junior77blue
          • Nov 2004

803Ds list for $8000; 803S list for $5500?

Either way, the tweeter has changed so I would need to get an opinion from B&W regarding using the HTM2 with either speaker.

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
            • Mar 2005

Those are the correct list prices. Yes, I would contact B&W either way.

Comment

• junior77blue
              • Nov 2004

From B&W:

"Whether to purchase the 803D, 803S or N803's will matter mostly on your own preference. All 3 models should work well with the NHTM2, however I'd say the closest match would be the N803, and the 803S as they both have aluminum dome tweeters so would make a more consistent match across the front channels. Typically the 803D speaker is paired up with the HTM3D center channel, which apart from the diamond dome tweeter is also a significantly larger speaker to better match up with the output level of the larger 803D. I'd say in choosing between the N803 and 803S, if a consistent and perfect timre match is the key, the N803. If you'd prefer an "almost" perfect timbre match with better quality front channels choose 803S."

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
                • Mar 2005

Nice reply, I would think that would help.

Comment

• junior77blue
                  • Nov 2004

It helps...but not necesarily the answer I was looking for.

So, now I'm strugling with the decison between:

N802 Demo
                  803D NEW
                  803S NEW
                  N803 Demo

(In that order of preference)

From other threads N802 is preferred. I guess I will have to listen to a run-in 803D in order to make a fair comparison. But if I choose the diamond tweeter that means I will/should upgrade my center channel as well. Will it ever stop?? lol

I think the saftest/cost effective/least upgraditis move would be a good pair of demo N802s. At least the tweeters will match between the front speakers and I'm still getting one hell of a great speaker in the N802.

More listening to come...

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

I would say go w/ the N802's. You should be able to pick them up around 5k. They might not have the new diamond tweeter, but they do have marlan heads which will make up for it. I wish I could afford my dealers pair.
                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• junior77blue
                      • Nov 2004

Just another opinion from B&W....

"In an honest choice between N802 or 803D, I personally would choose 803D, primarily due to the sonic improvements in the new diamond tweeters, plus the fact that the 803D is more room-friendly than N802 so if ever I went to smaller room the 803D would work just as well and also can hold its own in a larger room also."

Comment

• junior77blue
                        • Nov 2004

Price is just about the same ($100) between New 803D and Demo N802.

It just comes down to how the diamond tweeter will sound with an HTM2 center & N804 surrounds. Will it be that bad that I will need to upgrade?

The other option is to purchase the N802 and at least have the similar tweeter all around.

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

The other option is to purchase the N802 and at least have the similar tweeter all around.
                          If this is the last speaker change you are going to make for a few years, this would be your best bet. If you have fallen into the upgrade bug and will be upgrading your center soon, I say go for the 803D. It is all up to your short term/long term plans.
                          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• junior77blue
                            • Nov 2004

I just upgraded the center in december...I'd hate to upgrade again anytime soon. Plus it would mean having a HTM2D in an awkward location. The HTM2 fits nicely in my TV stand/rack system.

Comment

• Rags
                              • Aug 2003

Having owned a HTM2 and a HTM1 I feel you are going to get a huge mismatch in your front soundstage if you use the HTM2 with either the N802 or the 803D. If your serious about movies there is not point in skimping on the centre as in my opinion its the most important speaker in a HT set up.

If you went with the N802 I would get a HTM1 from the old range to use with it or a HTM2D with the 803D's (assuming you can resolve your space issues).

Comment

• junior77blue
                                • Nov 2004

I fully understand the limitations of the NHTM2 vs. NHTM1 or HTM2D....no comparison.

Financially...The natilus series is much more appealing as I could pick up a used NHTM1 much cheaper (sooner) than HTM2D.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"