X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sugarmedia
    • Feb 2005

advice needed on 703 & 804

Hey Gang,

I'm in the market to purchase either the B&W 703 Series or possibly consider the 804 series.

Can anyone tell me what the pros or cons of speaker are? From their appearance there doesn't seem to be a big difference except for the tweeter.

I'm asking this question because my budget leans towards the 703's and I'm wondering if the difference is substantial enough that I should save some more.

Thanks for your time and objectivity.
    Last edited by sugarmedia; 05 February 2005, 09:11 Saturday. Reason: INCORRECT TEXT
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

You really need to listen to them yourself to deteremine if the extra money is worth paying.

Comment

• sugarmedia
      • Feb 2005

703 vs. 804

Yes, of course listening to them is what's important. However, I'm more curious to know what others have identified as "the pros or cons" whether that be technical or just by ones ear.

Thanks

Comment

• Mitchell
        • Sep 2004

I went for the 703's instead of the 804's. While I could hear a difference, I was happy with the souund of the 703 and I had to draw the line somewhere in terms of cost. If I remember correctly it was approx an additional $1000 for the 804's. On another note look for some posts about an new line of 804's coming out and possible discounts on the old line.
        Hope this is helpful
        Mitchell

Comment

• sugarmedia
          • Feb 2005

it's all relative

Thanks Mitchel...

Yeah, I'm now living in Europe for some time and with the exchange rate it is going to cost me nearly 30,000 for a stereo system. Wish I had that much to spend on a system when I was living in the States.

Anyone else have point of view?

Comment

• Jason R
            • Jul 2004

Just bought 804's as they came available second hand for about 70% of the 703's. I wanted the 703's to replace 704's beccause i did not enjoy the lack of midrange and harsh tweeter, which is my finding of the 704. Perhaps a more home theatre speaker than jazz/blues female vocals which is what i enjoy.

The 804's are sublime, so smooth so "big" i can't beleive the difference it is exactly what i wanted, smooth mids, tweeter is not harsh at all and the soundstage is enormous.

I also found them a lot less fussy to place. I would not have bought the 804's new as the 703 is i have heard from several people just to close but at the price i paid it was a no brainer. Let your ears be the judge and if they are close enough save the money and put it towards some cables or interconnects which would benefit the whole system.

Comment

• DanR
              • Dec 2004

You must really listen for yourself and see if the price difference is worth it. Clearly the 804 is a better speaker, but you might not like its "sound" better. Or it might not be so much better to justify the extra money. Try to get a steep discount or are you talking about the 804s?
              :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"