Is there something wrong with my 603s3's midrange?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kyle
    • Jan 2005

Is there something wrong with my 603s3's midrange?

I've got dm603s3's hooked up to a Rotel RSP-1068 and RMB-1075.

This is a new setup to me, and I've got something a little weird happening.

My crossover on the fronts is set to 60hz. If I put on something like LOTR:ROTK EE, specifically the elephant scene (Battle of Pelennor or something like that, chapter 48 ), if I watch my left channel 603 closely, during more bassy parts (when I see the driver really move) I hear what can only be described as a "squidgy" sound. Well, I guess its more like a bird chirp.

I am only at ~60 on my DSP (not sure how many dB this is, don't have my SPL meter yet), but it isn't overly loud.

Now my right channel doesn't do this, and these speakers are probably only 3 months old.

Anyone have any ideas? I've blown subs before and this isn't quite like that, normally the speaker sounds good. Could something be wrong with the crossover?

I can't really take this speaker to a dealer and have them check it out (I live in NYC), so I'm at a loss as to what I can do.

-Kyle
    My gear
  • mitch57
    • Nov 2004

I would try switching your speakers/leads around and see if the problem moves with the speaker. If it does the problem is not with the speaker.

Give that a shot and see what happens.
    Mitch
    :stupidpc:

Comment

• Kyle
      • Jan 2005

I switched the leads around and the problem persists

Does it sound like a crossover problem? Could it be the speaker bottoming out because the internal crossover is not functioning properly?
      My gear

Comment

• Kyle
        • Jan 2005

So, the more I think about this, the more it has to be my speaker.

I recently switched to my rotel gear from an older JVC receiver and this problem has happened on both. These speakers are still under warranty (they are only 3 months old), but it is a real royal pita to get them to a b&w dealer.

I'm not sure what it can be other than the crossover for the midrange malfunctioning because during normal 2ch audio or most movies it isn't a problem (the mix during that particular scene is bass heavy). The other 603 doesn't exhibit the same problem, so its not that I have my crossover set too low for the speakers, and the problem appears to be coming from the midrange, not the sub.
        Last edited by Kyle; 25 January 2005, 10:17 Tuesday. Reason: Rethinking my thinking
        My gear

Comment

• Kyle
          • Jan 2005

I've run a few more tests, switching speaker cables totally, trying DD instead of DTS soundtracks, setting my crossover at 80 instead of 60, you name it.

Since the right speaker will take it with ease, I'm going to drag this speaker into the dealer and see what they can do.
          Last edited by Kyle; 25 January 2005, 20:02 Tuesday. Reason: Typo
          My gear

Comment

• rick c
            • Aug 2004

I take it that when you switched over your left speaker with your right the original left speaker still had the same problem .If you did i would take them both back.I have the 603s3 also w/rotel(rsx1056)and dont have such a problem.I would do it before it gets worse.

Comment

• Kyle
              • Jan 2005

Yeah, I'll see what they say about this one, its such a pain in the butt getting one much less two of these into a cab, so I may have to make two trips
              My gear

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"