X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonW
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I need help diagnosing a crossover problem

OK, my lack of knowledge of electronics is now staring me in the face. I made 3 crossovers for the Modula MT’s. Checked them with a volt meter. Two of them come out the same and the third looks different. I would appreciate any help in figuring out what is going wrong.

The details: The two ”good” crossovers measure 6.9 ohms, the “bad” one is 7.0. I played test tones through the crossovers and measured voltage at the woofer and the tweeter. (Putting the meter leads on the woofer or tweeter leads.) In all 3 crossovers, the woofer response at a given frequency was about the same. But for the tweeter, the “bad” crossover is reading about 20% low. I put a table below of typical values. (Sorry, I can't get the spacing to make it look easier to read.) Just one set of values for the woofer because they’re all about the same. And a typical “good” and “bad” set of values for the tweeters.

Any idea what’s wrong? I tested each solder joint with the meter and they all look OK. I double checked all the components. They look to be correct as far as which piece is where. I switched around the tweeters and woofers. And, basically, I have no idea what to do now. Pathetic, eh? Thanks in advance.

-Jon

frequency woofer “good” “bad”
    (Hz) tweeter tweeter
    ----- ----- ----- -----
    200 .035 0 0
    500 .026 0 0
    800 .024 .001 .001
    1200 .019 .003 .002
    1500 .016 .005 .004
    1800 .013 .007 .006
    2000 .011 .009 .007
    2400 .008 .010 .008
    2700 .007 .011 .008
    3000 .005 .011 .009
    3500 .003 .010 .008
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You're measuring the assembled crossovers attached to the drivers?

If that's the case the difference between 6.9 and 7.0 ohms is not significant in this situation, given the normal tolerance variations in crossover components and drivers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonW
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
      You're measuring the assembled crossovers attached to the drivers?
      Yup.

If that's the case the difference between 6.9 and 7.0 ohms is not significant in this situation, given the normal tolerance variations in crossover components and drivers.
      Right. It's not the 6.9 versus 7.0 that I'm concerned about. It's that the tweeter voltage is differing by about 20% low on one of the 3 crossovers. I'd think that's not normal?

Thanks.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2001

You're measuring in the millivolt range here. Those differences look negligible to me. But then again, with all the crossovers I've built, I never bothered to measure voltages at the drivers.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I don't think you have a problem (it maybe just variations in the tweeters particularly of you're using the RS28's).

But you could mount one set of drivers in a box. Run leads out the port from each driver, then wire up the crossovers and listen to them individually.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chasw98
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Jon:
            Screw a set of woofer and tweeter into your enclosure and run the wires to the speakers through the port in the back. Then hook the 1 of the 3 crossovers up and play some music (not too loud at first) through the speaker. Then hook the next one up and so on and so forth. If you hear a difference between them then troubleshoot. As Brian said, I think you are seeing just normal production variances between the components and the drivers. It will also be helpful if you go to Radio Shack and buy a bag of alligator clip leads to use as jumpers to "clip" in the crossovers. Call me tonight if you have any questions.

Chuck

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

Jon, you need a bigger signal, like 1 volt, to get some more precision in your measurements. It's hard to tell anything meaningful from single digit numbers.

Comment

• JonW
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

You guys are great. Thanks. :T

Originally posted by Dennis H
                Jon, you need a bigger signal, like 1 volt, to get some more precision in your measurements. It's hard to tell anything meaningful from single digit numbers.

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
                You're measuring in the millivolt range here. Those differences look negligible to me. But then again, with all the crossovers I've built, I never bothered to measure voltages at the drivers.
                I can try that easily. When I turn up the volume, the voltage does increase. But I was keeping it low for fear of doing any damage to the drivers outside of the cabinets. So I guess 1 volt might be OK.

Also, two of the crossovers matched their low numbers pretty well. So the third looking lower definitely caught my attention.

Comment

• JonW
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

I don't think you have a problem (it maybe just variations in the tweeters particularly of you're using the RS28's).
                  Interesting if it's OK. I would have thought a 20% difference in tweeter levels would be far from what is typically OK.

I tried switching the tweeters, actually, with no change. The difference seems to be in the crossover.

But you could mount one set of drivers in a box. Run leads out the port from each driver, then wire up the crossovers and listen to them individually.
                  I'll try that- thanks,

Comment

• JonW
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by chasw98
                    Jon:
                    Screw a set of woofer and tweeter into your enclosure and run the wires to the speakers through the port in the back. Then hook the 1 of the 3 crossovers up and play some music (not too loud at first) through the speaker. Then hook the next one up and so on and so forth. If you hear a difference between them then troubleshoot.
                    Thanks. I'll try that.

As Brian said, I think you are seeing just normal production variances between the components and the drivers.
                    Really? Wow. I would have thought the tolerances to be much lower. With all the design effort that goes into a crossover... to then have one tweeter voltage be 20% off another...

It will also be helpful if you go to Radio Shack and buy a bag of alligator clip leads to use as jumpers to "clip" in the crossovers.
                    I've got those little white screw terminals on there now, so that should make all this easy to do. I'll give you a ring.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Jon:
                      Screw a set of woofer and tweeter into your enclosure and run the wires to the speakers through the port in the back. Then hook the 1 of the 3 crossovers up and play some music (not too loud at first) through the speaker. Then hook the next one up and so on and so forth.
                      Oh sure steal my idea and phase it in language a person can understand.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• chasw98
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

Oh sure steal my idea and phase it in language a person can understand.....

I speak JonW-ease! :T

Comment

• JonW
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

I speak JonW-ease! :T
                          I guess that's where a Ph.D. will get you- no working knowledge of electronics. And people have to speak to you in very small words. Slowly.
                          :P

Comment

• JonW
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

OK, I did everything you guys suggested. Confusion persists.

-First, I measured all 3 crossovers with a much higher voltage. I set the voltage such that the woofer was about 1 volt at 200 Hz. The numbers are below. Two of the crossovers are very close to each other and the third is pretty far off for the tweeter. The woofer voltage for all 3 was pretty much the same, so I’m just showing the tweeter numbers.

I’ll try to provide the numbers like this…
                            Frequency
                            Voltages from crossover 1, 2, and 3

200 Hz:
                            0, 0, 0
                            500Hz:
                            .016, .017, .016
                            800 Hz:
                            .037, .038, .036
                            1200 Hz:
                            .089, .090, .079
                            1500 Hz:
                            .150, .151, .123
                            1800 Hz:
                            .218, .218, .163
                            2000 Hz:
                            .259, .259, .186
                            2400 Hz:
                            .312, .312, .220
                            2700 Hz:
                            .325, .325, .235
                            3000 Hz:
                            .326, .325, .244
                            3500 Hz:
                            .314, .314, .248

As you can see, crossovers 1 and 2 are really close to each other, but #3 is definitely different.

-Second, I mounted the drivers on a cabinet and ran wires from the drivers out the port. Then played 2 songs using crossover 3. Sounded fine to me. Switched to crossover 2. Also sounded fine. Switched back to 3 and then 2. I couldn’t tell a difference.

So I’m confused. Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Jon,

Yours is a fundamentally flawed testing concept so don't fret with the results.

That fact that you heard no differences is your clue...

If you want to test, hook up an assembled system, run sine sweeps (test tones) , and measure the acoustical output (SPL) from the drivers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Dennis H
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Aug 2002

While what Thomas says is true, it's the SPL that counts, you're measuring about a 2dB difference (20*log10(V1/V2)) and that's pretty big even allowing for normal component tolerances.

Have you triple checked that all components are the right values? For example, if R3 were too big, it could do what you are measuring -- tweeter padded down about 2dB across the band. Now that I think about it, what brand of resistors are you using? I've heard of the leads breaking loose internally on the Eagle resistors from Madisound if you bend them too close to the body.

Have you reheated all the solder joints just to be sure? Bad solder joints aren't always obvious.

Did you ever get an LCR meter? The only way you are really going to know for sure if you can't find anything obvious is to disassemble one or two crossovers and measure part values. You can't measure values with them assembled because the current can find another path around the component you're trying to measure. Start with the "bad" one and, if you don't find any obvious problems take a good one apart and compare values. The cheap meters may not be all that accurate but they should be repeatable comparing two components and measure somewhat close to the spec'd value.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

I think he'll go insane trying to find this, since as Dennis says, the only way to do this properly is tear apart the crossovers. And doing that has the potential to do damage and create a worst situation.

Given there are 2 crossover that 'match', use those as the mains and the other as the center and sleep well tonight...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JonW
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

Thomas and Dennis-

Thanks _very_ much for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Have you triple checked that all components are the right values?
                                    Well, I can only test the resistors with the borrowed meter I have (I think). I tested some (not all) of them before installing and they seemed OK (e.g., a 6 ohm resistor would be 5.9 or 6.0). But after having all 3 crossovers assembled, I put the meter leads on either side of the resistors and the values seemed odd to me. The 2 ohms all measured 1.9-2.1 but the 5 ohm resistors all measured 2.8-3.0, the 6 ohm ones measured 2.8-2.9. Odd, but consistent throughout all crossovers. This may be a different problem, but it’s not going to have one crossover different from the rest. Or it could be what you said here:

You can't measure values with them assembled because the current can find another path around the component you're trying to measure.

I used Mills resistors, perfect lay inductors, and Solen caps.

Have you reheated all the solder joints just to be sure? Bad solder joints aren't always obvious.
                                    I used the meter for resistance to check every solder joint. I found one on the “bad” crossover that wasn’t right and fixed that. So they should all be OK now.

Did you ever get an LCR meter?
                                    Not yet. I’m borrowing this regular DMM. The plan was to buy an LCR meter if this first foray into speaker building goes well and I’m itching to do some more. I recall there was a specific LCR meter that you guys recommended.

The only way you are really going to know for sure if you can't find anything obvious is to disassemble one or two crossovers and measure part values.
                                    OK. That’s a real test of my dedication here. Hmmm… Might be easier to just build another from scratch. I do see your point, however.

If/when I make the next speakers, maybe I should get an LCR meter and measure all the caps, resistors, and inductors prior to building the crossovers. I didn’t do that this time.

Comment

• JonW
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jan 2006

Jon,
                                      Yours is a fundamentally flawed testing concept so don't fret with the results.
                                      Hey this is what Chuck [chasw98] told me to do.

That fact that you heard no differences is your clue...
                                      Given there are 2 crossover that 'match', use those as the mains and the other as the center and sleep well tonight...
                                      Super. :T

If you want to test, hook up an assembled system, run sine sweeps (test tones) , and measure the acoustical output (SPL) from the drivers.
                                      Makes sense. Last night, as I was playing around with the crossovers and meter, my gal asked me if it wouldn’t be wiser to just assemble the speakers and use something to measure the actual sound they make. She’s smart. It’s probably time for me to pick up an SPL meter or microphone/amp/etc.

My main concern here, obviously, is just to get the crossovers OK (or know that they are already OK). So if all is well, I have nothing to worry about. Although I must admit that I’m curious as to why such difference would arise. Heck, one of the main reasons for undertaking this project was to learn some electronics- something I’ve never had a chance to learn before.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by JonW
                                        Hey this is what Chuck [chasw98] told me to do.
                                        Remember he's so old he threatened to hit me with his walker..... 8O

So I'm not sure he's recommendations are reliable....:roflmao:

It’s probably time for me to pick up..... or microphone/amp/etc.
                                        Those are much more fun to play with compared to a DMM...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• chasw98
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2006

Remember he's so old he threatened to hit me with his walker..... 8O

So I'm not sure he's recommendations are reliable....:roflmao:

Those are much more fun to play with compared to a DMM...
                                          Touche`, mon ami! ;x(
                                          I vil zolve hiz problemo tonite by remote! ONWARD!

Comment

• BretH
                                            • Feb 2006

If Jon wasn't heck-bent on figuring out what's going on electronically, I would suggest a real A-B blind test. Otherwise I like this advice: "Given there are 2 crossover that 'match', use those as the mains and the other as the center and sleep well tonight..."

Comment

• JonW
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jan 2006

OK, Thomas, I’ll factor in Chuck’s senility the next time I build a speaker.
                                              :P

Yeah, maybe I’ll pick up the Behringer microphone and that M-Audio preamp setup to be able to take measurements. Looks to be fun and interesting. It will further my speaker design education.

Chuck-
                                              I’ll give you a ring tonight.

Brett-
                                              Well, if I just put the speakers together with the crossovers as they are, I’ll then have the ability to do the A-B test. (Although I bought a shielded RS28 tweeter for the center channel.) So I can try that.

Comment

• augerpro
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2006

Would this be a good all-in-one meter?:
                                                ~Brandon 8O
                                                Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                                                Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                                                DriverVault
                                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• PMazz
                                                  • May 2001

Originally posted by augerpro
                                                  Would this be a good all-in-one meter?:
                                                  http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=390-513
                                                  I have one of those and it works fine. If you're like me you'll need to make up a set of test leads for measuring Inds/Caps.

I've had Mills resistors come in that were marked/pulled wrong.

Pete
                                                  Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Nov 2001

Pete,

What kind of test leads? I've got that meter but have always just shoved the cap and coil leads into the little grooves in the front there. Did you basically must make up so test leads to put in there with alligator clips on the other end or something?

Comment

• JonW
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Jan 2006

Hey Guys,

If you're looking for a meter, there was a thread recommending one:

I think I'll pick up the one augerpro linked to, but from the direct site, where it's a little cheaper ($60):
                                                      Go to http://www.cs-sales.net/
                                                      then click on test equipment, then multimeters, then LCM-1950
                                                      (the direct link doesn't alwayts work)

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by PMazz
                                                        I've had Mills resistors come in that were marked/pulled wrong.
                                                        That's sure what it looks like to me. Jon, are you doing the 27TDFC version? R3 basically controls the gain of the tweeter and it's spec'd at 8 ohms.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

As an aside, I've measured many samples of the Mills resistors, and none have met their tolerance specs. Oddly enough the cheaper PE (Dayton) resistors do meet their tolerance specs.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JonW
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Jan 2006

That's sure what it looks like to me. Jon, are you doing the 27TDFC version? R3 basically controls the gain of the tweeter and it's spec'd at 8 ohms.
                                                            I'm using the RS28 version. All the resistors seem to measure about the same between the different crossovers, now that they're in the crossover. Using the meter for resitivity (it's all I've got until I order that LCR meter), two of the caps seem different between the "good" and "bad" crossovers. One 12 and one 20 uF. I'm thinking about just picking up a couple replacement caps from a local shop, put them in there, and see if things improve. Sound OK? Thanks.

From measuring the resistors in the crossovers:
                                                            The 2 ohms all measured 1.9-2.1 but the 5 ohm resistors all measured 2.8-3.0, the 6 ohm ones measured 2.8-2.9. Consistent throughout all crossovers.

Comment

• JonW
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Jan 2006

As an aside, I've measured many samples of the Mills resistors, and none have met their tolerance specs. Oddly enough the cheaper PE (Dayton) resistors do meet their tolerance specs.
                                                              Huh. I went with the Mills because someone here recommended them. I guess I'll use something different next time.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

I've used the Mills for years and years without problems. One day I was messing around and slapped one on my LG True RMS meter and it was out of spec, so I started testing various resistors laying around the shop. Consistantly the Mills didn't meet spec and the Dayton's did. I thought that was strange given the price difference.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JonW
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Jan 2006

Thomas-

Yeah, that's strange. I'm not sure what my next project will be (Arvos?) but before starting it, I'll try and collect some recommendations for resistors, caps, inductors, etc. I did that for this project and thought the consensus was Solen caps, Mills resistors, and perfect lay 14 guage inductors.

It's good to know what to avoid and what tends to be good. The experience shared from folks like yourself is much appreciated.
                                                                  (I'm passing through Denver mid January. If you're around, you can collect on the many beers I owe you. I'll drop you a line maybe next week when I return from a trip starting today.)

Comment

• mmoeller
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2006

All the resistors seem to measure about the same between the different crossovers, now that they're in the crossover.
                                                                    The thing is that your really not going to get an accurate reading measuring resistors, "in circuit". That has always been a no-no in my experience.

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mmoeller
                                                                      The thing is that your really not going to get an accurate reading measuring resistors, "in circuit". That has always been a no-no in my experience.
                                                                      Jon has 3 XO's built. 2 of them measure the same and 1 doesn't. He is not really looking to take them apart and see individual values, but he is comparing in circuit values for the good xo versus the "bad" xo. AFter doing that he has found different in circuit values for 2 capacitors, but he does not have a meter that will measure capacitance even if he took them out of circuit. I told him the best he can do right now is unsolder one end of the capacitor in the suspect xo and do the same for an end in the "good" xo and measure the resistance to see if they differ. If they differ, replace the one in the suspect xo. OTOH, he has said he can't hear a difference between any of the xo in testing. What a challenge.... remote troubleshooting!

Chuck

Comment

• PMazz
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2001

Pete,

What kind of test leads? I've got that meter but have always just shoved the cap and coil leads into the little grooves in the front there. Did you basically must make up so test leads to put in there with alligator clips on the other end or something?
                                                                        I always did the same until I started building the GE 10uF combos. I use test leads with alligator clips on one end and cut paper clips ops: on the other so they fit nicely into the slots on the meter. Measuring with and w/o the leads gives me the same values and they are a whole lot easier to use.

Pete
                                                                        Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2001
                                                                          • 1389

I always did the same until I started building the GE 10uF combos. I use test leads with alligator clips on one end and cut paper clips ops: on the other so they fit nicely into the slots on the meter. Measuring with and w/o the leads gives me the same values and they are a whole lot easier to use.

Pete
                                                                          As the Guinness Beer guys say: "BRILLIANT!"

I don't really see anything wrong with the way you did it. You could easily strip back the wire, wrap it around the paper clip and solder it if the solder will stick to the paper clips.

Or better yet, do the same with the clipped component leads! :T

Comment

• JonW
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 1585

Jon has 3 XO's built. 2 of them measure the same and 1 doesn't. He is not really looking to take them apart and see individual values, but he is comparing in circuit values for the good xo versus the "bad" xo. AFter doing that he has found different in circuit values for 2 capacitors, but he does not have a meter that will measure capacitance even if he took them out of circuit. I told him the best he can do right now is unsolder one end of the capacitor in the suspect xo and do the same for an end in the "good" xo and measure the resistance to see if they differ. If they differ, replace the one in the suspect xo. OTOH, he has said he can't hear a difference between any of the xo in testing. What a challenge.... remote troubleshooting!

Chuck

Chuck-

Thanks soooo much for the help over the phone. :T I'm doubling the cost of these speakers with all the beers I owe you guys. :B I'm thinking a Keys scuba trip with a swing by your place would be nice.

Not sure how much weight I'd put in my not hearing a difference between the crossovers. It was some quick switching, so I don't really know.

Before leaving town today I stopped by the local electronics store and they didn't have caps with the correct values. So I placed a quick order with Parts Express. They should be waiting for me when I get back in town Friday. (Yay- hotel internet access. )

I was thinking of maybe not messing with a good crossover. Just unhook the 2 caps on the bad crossover. Measure them and compare to the new caps. Then replace whatver look bad. And hope that fixes it.

When I start on my next speaker project (not sure what that will be), I'm definitely going to buy an LCR meter and check all the parts before using them.

Comment

• JonW
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Jan 2006
                                                                              • 1585

#39
                                                                              Pete,

What kind of test leads?
                                                                              Can you not use regular leads with that meter? For the regular DMM I've borrowed from work, I'm using leads that have little clips on the ends, banana plugs on the other ends to put into the meter. Very handy. I think they're something like this:

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2002
                                                                                • 3798

#40
                                                                                Just unhook the 2 caps on the bad crossover. Measure them and compare to the new caps.
                                                                                Jon, if you were just measuring across the caps with an ohmmeter (DMM), you aren't measuring capacitance. You're measuring the DC resistance of some circular path aroung the cap. The DC resistance of a cap is infinity. Please check R3 by unsoldering one end and checking the resistance.

Comment

• JonW
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2006
                                                                                  • 1585

#41
                                                                                  Jon, if you were just measuring across the caps with an ohmmeter (DMM), you aren't measuring capacitance. You're measuring the DC resistance of some circular path aroung the cap. The DC resistance of a cap is infinity.
                                                                                  Right. Just trying to locate any differences in my primitive way.

Please check R3 by unsoldering one end and checking the resistance.
                                                                                  Will do. (When I get back in town late Thursday or Friday). Thanks for the help! ;x(

Comment

• PMazz
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2001
                                                                                    • 861

#42
                                                                                    Can you not use regular leads with that meter? For the regular DMM I've borrowed from work, I'm using leads that have little clips on the ends, banana plugs on the other ends to put into the meter. Very handy. I think they're something like this:
                                                                                    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family
                                                                                    To measure inductance or capacitance you can't use the regular leads. I really don't know why it's designed this way???? There are small slots in the meter just above where the leads plug in for inserting the ends of inductors or caps.

Pete
                                                                                    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 1360

#43
                                                                                      To measure inductance or capacitance you can't use the regular leads. I really don't know why it's designed this way???? There are small slots in the meter just above where the leads plug in for inserting the ends of inductors or caps.

Pete
                                                                                      The reason you shouldn't or cannot use regular leads is that they will add to the capacitance or inductance of the component under test. Unless your meter has the ability to set a zero point or you remember to deduct the lead capacitance/inductance you will get readings offset by the amount induced by the test leads. On larger components this does not factor in greatly, but when trying to measure that .2 mH inductor, the results can be skewed by quite a bit. That is one reason for using the slots to stick the leads of the components into. I have also seen where the leads that come with some LCR meters give you very short 3 to 6 inch leads to use with them when it is impractical to stuff that 12 AWG inductor into the meter. Sort of like what Pete made up for himself.

Chuck

Comment

• mmoeller
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2006
                                                                                        • 138

#44
                                                                                        If your measuring a cap with the ohm meter and you ever hear "beeeeeep", that's bad.

Comment

• JonW
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 1585

#45
                                                                                          Please check R3 by unsoldering one end and checking the resistance.
                                                                                          I did that lat night and the resistor looks fine (4.8 ohms). My replacement caps arrived and are now sitting here on my desk. So I'll try changing those tonight and see where that gets me.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"