what can beat a N802-classe 401 setup for under $11k ?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmt
    • Jan 2005

what can beat a N802-classe 401 setup for under $11k ?!

For a couple of years now I'm looking to get myself some good speakers that will last a lifetime (I'm not in a hurry ). Until recently my interest went primarily to the nautilus 803. But I really like the 802, the looks and the sound are fantastic but the price was just too high.
    Now with the new range coming out I already listened to the new 803D. While it's a very good speaker I don't think it can produce the lows of the old 802, and the $8000 pricetag for the speakers alone is really stretching the budget.

Now I am able to buy a pair of cherry 802s for $6000 which are only a few weeks old with full dealer warranty and also a Classe 401 for $4800, also only just out of the box. (or $5800 for a boxed 401)

Thus my question: is there any speaker/amp combination out there for $11.000 that can compete with a nautilus 802 - classe 401 setup?
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Tmt,

Run (don't walk) and buy it....

I see from other posts that the 802 has been your dream speaker for years. The Classe 401 is arguably one of the best ways there is to drive it. The price it less than just the new 802D...

Geoff

Comment

• DanR
      • Dec 2004

Go for it!!! What a set-up!!!!!! You will be thrilled. I have heard the 802's driven by an older Classe 300 and it was sweet.
      :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• Seeme
        • Dec 2004

Go for it.

I agree with everyone else, that is an awesome combo. I did a in-store demo of the Dynaudio C-4 and C-2 on the McIntosh and the 802's on my Classe CA-301 as I was looking to upgrade my amp and even though the C-4 were great I just loved the sound of the 802 on the CA-301 and I ended up buying the new Delta CA-3200. You can only image how it will sound on the CA-401.

I heard the ML and the C-4 blow them away in a head to head comparison and I thought that the 802 was right there with the C-4 and the Evidence.

Buy it and enjoy

Comment

• Dutch in USA
          • Jan 2005

TMT,

With the N802's and the CA-401 you miss a pre-amp..
          I use the CP 47.5 with a CA-201. It does the job very nicely indeed. The 401 probably adds some, but I would not expect it to be enourmous. So from that background I would say: look no further. But for a good sound, you also need a good source and cables of course too make it really shine.

Have fun!

Comment

• tmt
            • Jan 2005

well the pre-amp is the big question.
            Let me explain:
            Besides being a music lover I'm also a big movie-buff (after 3 years I still smile every single time I power up my projector :B )
            I'm currently using my thrusty old denon 3500 5 channel surround amplifier to power my current setup.
            (B&W "6-series" for center and surround speakers). I know eventually I'll have to get a new center that matches the 802s.

Of course I could buy a new multichannel pre-amp, but for watching movies the denon does it job perfectly (I don't have SACD yet)
            Since blue ray/HD-DVD is going to be released soon (next year?) and Dolby has announced a new standard for it (Dolby digital plus) For me it's an unnecessary upgrade to buy a new surround pre-amp just to have 7.1 instead of 5.1 for only a year or so.

Since using my Denon as a pre-amp for 802s would be something of a crime I'll probably have to get a seperate stereo pre-amp, with the added complexity of figuring out to connect everything for home-theatre use
            Unless I want to go multichannel audio also, then I would need a multichannel pre-amp (and a new center speaker) but my wallet would not like it.

The same guy that can sell me the CA401 can also get me a new Classe CP-35 MK II for $1280.
            Any thoughts on that one? Or on a pre-amp that goes nicely with the 802-classe combo which doesn't cost a fortune?

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

I agree with your thought on holding out until next year when the new formats come out and hopefully the pre/pros will have HDMI on them.
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Phil Rose
                • Aug 2000

Keep the Denon as a pre/pro for multi-channel and get a stereo preamp with HT by-pass for music. You should be able to get a very good stereo preamp for not too much, especially used, that will beat 99% of all pre/pros doing stereo.

Get the 802's and the 401 and be prepared for some awesome music!!

Comment

• Glen B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by tmt
                  The same guy that can sell me the CA401 can also get me a new Classe CP-35 MK II for $1280.
                  Any thoughts on that one? Or on a pre-amp that goes nicely with the 802-classe combo which doesn't cost a fortune?
                  TMT, I would advise against getting a CP-35. While it is a good preamp, it will bring down the performance of the CA-401. You should get at least a CP-47.5 which is sonically better than the CP-35.
                  Last edited by Glen B; 19 January 2005, 20:40 Wednesday.

Comment

• Dutch in USA
                    • Jan 2005

I can agree with Glen here :T . The 47.5 is a good little piece of art.
                    I use a Yamaha RX-Z1 as my surround amp. The Classe power amps have balanced and line inputs on them with a switch to select. So when I go for HT, I have the Classe drive my fronts with the Z1 pre-amping this and powering the rest. Turn the power amp off, wait some seconds, flip the switch and it uses the balanced inputs from the 47.5 again.

I also have my 777ES connected via optic to the Yamaha. Listening to that really hurts my ears... For sure the 6 DAC's :E in the Sony are superior. I should try analogue outputs to be sure where the biggest difference lies: DAC or power amp, but it is not really on my priorities list :wink:

Going for a high Q Multi channel amp will do justice when that is your priority. For me it is 5% of my usage, so stereo rules!

I am also not into multichannel SACD's. There are not that many "normal" SACD's available, let alone multichannel. Linking in with the blue laser DVD's comments... I compare that to SACD...the masses are not waiting for these formats as CD and DVD provide already a high level of quality. Remember that most people are now migrating from VHS to DVD. This basically means that you will pay a premium for hardware where the software industry will stay behind. Do you have an HD monitor already? (Not the HD ready...which means nada). There is always something new coming out. How many DVD's have 6.1 EX or even 7.1...but all the big brands have it in their amps! and you would not buy one without it..or? Waiting for the latest means not being able to enjoy what is now and boy is the now fabtastic!

Defense rests :B

Comment

• tmt
                      • Jan 2005

thanks!

Dutch in USA and Phil, it's like you're reading my mind
                      I was also thinking about using the 401 that way by using the switch to switch beween balanced (stereo) and line inputs (HT).

Like I said, I already have a perfect working 5.1 system (I hate to trow something away that still works like a charm). Current 6.1 gives no real improvement as the rear center cannel is mixed in the 2 rear channels on 5.1 systems. For proof listen to the 6.1 version of the THX demo where it breaks down, the 2 rear speakers mimic perfectly the abscent rear center channel. It would be a different story if you would not hear a complete channel.

thanks for the info on the pre-amp.

PS Dutch in USA, do you speak Dutch? Ik ook

Comment

• Dutch in USA
                        • Jan 2005

I am Dutch and live in the US. Ik spreek dus Nederlands :T

Comment

• tmt
                          • Jan 2005

Dutch in USA , I heard from a guy in a store that it isn't possible that the line inputs and balanced inputs are connected at the same time on a Classe CA-401. The manual isn't 100% clear on that one but it doesn't explicitly mention that you can't have the 2 cables connected at the same time.

I must say that guy is trying to sell me a pair of CA-350s, but the manual of the CA-350 clearly states that you cannot have both line-in and XLR connected at the same time (because there isn't a switch).

So is there anyone who has a CA-301 or a CA-401 that can confirm that both cinch and XLR cables can be plugged in at the same time?

Comment

• jlee
                            • Aug 2004

I believe they can be PLUGGED in at the same time, just not ACTIVE at the same time.

Comment

• tmt
                              • Jan 2005

I think so yes (why would it otherwise have that switch) . I would like to have conformation from an owner just to be sure

The CAM-350 doesn't have that switch and it's clearly stated in the manual that you have to remove the single ended connection before you connect the XLR cable.

Comment

• tmt
                                • Jan 2005

update:
                                I just talked to the product manager from Classe Germany and he stated that you have to unplug the AC cord when you flip switches. It's a safety precaution.
                                Well I guess this guy knows best (he's not from a store or anything so he's not pushing to sell something)
                                Now that's not so convenient.

Maybe the CAM-350s after all...

Comment

• jlee
                                  • Aug 2004

The CAM-200 actually requires insertion of a jumper in the Balanced input... and I think the CAM-350 as well... so ignore my previous post... sorry for the bad info!

Comment

• Dutch in USA
                                    • Jan 2005

Jlee, you are right. They can be plugged, but not active. The switch is identical to that one on mine. When I bought mine I contacted Classe directly with these kinds of questions. I spoke to a technical engineer who confirmed the double plugging was ok. You just cannot hot switch. Even with the power off (no need to unplug the powercord, just the power button is enough) you need to wait up to 30 seconds. You will here a click and then you can flip the switch.

I cannot stand salesmen that lie about a product at this level, but make up your own mind.

Cheers.

Comment

• tmt
                                      • Jan 2005

aargh :??
                                      That product manager said that you had to physically remove the powercord on the CA-401 to switch inputs. Well maybe they changed it on that model.

If you don't have to unplug the power cord, but only wait for 30 seconds, that's ok. I can live with that.
                                      I'll check that before I buy, then I know it for sure.

The CAM-350 cannot have 2 cables connected at the same time.

PS I just heard the new 802D on CAM-350 in a store. wow!
                                      I must admit seeing the the CAM-350s next to the 802Ds is impressive :drool:

PSS Dutch in USA which Classe do you have? The CA-400?

Comment

• Dutch in USA
                                        • Jan 2005

I have the CA-201, which is in the same architectural range as the 401 so it would surprise me if the 401 would handle differently.

Comment

• DanR
                                          • Dec 2004

Dutch- try using digital coax instead of Toslink. No offense, but Toslink and fiber optic in general can't touch good coax cables.
                                          :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• EAmin
                                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by tmt
                                            aargh :??
                                            That product manager said that you had to physically remove the powercord on the CA-401 to switch inputs. Well maybe they changed it on that model.

If you don't have to unplug the power cord, but only wait for 30 seconds, that's ok. I can live with that.
                                            I'll check that before I buy, then I know it for sure.

The CAM-350 cannot have 2 cables connected at the same time.

PS I just heard the new 802D on CAM-350 in a store. wow!
                                            I must admit seeing the the CAM-350s next to the 802Ds is impressive :drool:

PSS Dutch in USA which Classe do you have? The CA-400?
                                            I looks like the CA-M400 doesn't require unplugging power cords --- at least from what I see from the manual on Classe's website. Is this your understanding too?

Comment

• tmt
                                              • Jan 2005

In the end I got the CA-401 (what a beast!)
                                              I don't have balanced cables yet, but I did the test and switched the amp off, flipped the switch and waited until I heard the click. I powered it back on and heard nothing, so I presume it was using the balanced inputs.

That product manager guy from Classe Germany was wrong after all.

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"