X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Upgrade opinions needed

The audio upgrade gods have smiled upon me once more and have granted me the funds to either purchase a HTM1 center or maybe stretch and get the N804 mains. My current setup is N805's, HTM2, ASW850 (wow what a sub!) and 602;s in the rear. All driven by a Rotel RSX1065. Now I now that I will need more power to drive the new speakers but of the two speaker upgrades which do you think would benefit me the most until the next blessing (which could be awhile). I use this system 95% HT. Opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks Robert P
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Soundgravy,

Good problem to have. I have both the 804's and the HTM1 :T . I think your best bang for the buck would be the HTM1. This is a stud center channel. (the 804's are pretty awesome as well). And since you are big on HT, I think this is the way to go. Also, a receiver, even one as good as the Rotel, will not do the 804's justice (good but not great). Hope this helps.

Comment

• RobP
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Thanks for the reply, I think the center may be the best route to go for the first upgrade, I do plan on upgrading to a Pre/Pro setup at a later time, it just seemed to me that a speaker upgrade would scratch my itch for now better than power. I have been searching for a HTM1 in blask ash for some time now and it is becoming quite a challenge to find one.
      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• junior77blue
        • Nov 2004

That's a tough call...

since i'm guessing the weak link is the 602's in the rear...you could have those replaced with the 805s if you get the 804s.

Personally, i would go that route so that i could have the same series of speaker all around.

Comment

• Jeff
          • Dec 2004

Soundgravy, with 95% being devoted to HT I question how much benefit you would get by purchasing the 804's. You certainly have a killer subwoofer. :T So the low end is already taken care of (which would be a primary benefit of going with the 804's.

The HTM1 has the FST mid range which none of your other speakers have. Granted it's a great center speakerl. But with the FST midrange driver, it needs the POWER to make it sing. Sonically it would not match your N805's.

Your receiver has only 100 wpc. I don't want to change the subject, however... The RMB-1095 amp should be a serious consideration. It will benefit all your speakers not to mention the dynamics of home theater. That in combination with your ASW850 sub would be some serious HT!

Jeff

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Thanks Jeff, I do plan on upgrading the amp at some time so you think that I would get more overall bang at first by upgrading the amp before the speakers? The power I use now seems enough, I really dont listen to it loud, I think that the highest I ever played it was at 55 on the volume, plus my room is 13 x 21. But I can see where the extra power would be more for the dynamics than the volume. Thanks!
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Twincam
              • Feb 2004

It seems like your end goal is to have the HTM1 and 804 in front (I then assume you going to move your 805's to the rear). One thing to bear in mind, is the new 800 series coming this month, including an increased price tag. If you buy a pair of 804 right now for example, you might stuggle to find a new HTM1 in a years time, and have to go for the HTM3S. I don't think it's going to be a bad match, absolutely not, but the front channels are a bit more sensitive to match than the surrounds. But now could be the time to get a good deal on the outgoing 804 AND the HTM1 at the same time, although it would mean a higher costs than you planned for right now.
              Since you have that killer sub and don't play so high, your receiver could be "ok" for the moment, but it might struggle a bit. And when you then upgrade to a RMB-1095 or better later, you will be greatly rewarded.

Comment

• Jeff
                • Dec 2004

Hmmm, doesn't relay play it loud but purchased a subwoofer which cound immitate the end of the world... I think Twincam has a good point. With the end of the first generation Nautilus, prices will increase and choices of the old will decrease.

Purchasing both means $5,500 now. If that amount is to much I would go with the 804's. Upgrading to the new series center speaker at some point in the future. With HT delivering much of the information through the center channel perhaps the new drivers in the HMT1 replacement will be worthly the wait.

IMO the 3.5k you will spend on the 804 may not be an improvement worthy of the price tag since your bag is not 2 channel listening. And you've already pointed out the 804's will be a strech.

One note on the amp. Like so many threds recommend. If you have the opportunity to preview the RMB-1095 in your home and for that matter the 804's, do it. Your now at that critical point where you have the $ and your going to do something. You should also consider how soon you'll be blessed with additional $ for your next upgrade. I still think the 1095 should be a serious consideration as your front three speakers are already very good for HT.

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Jeff you are correct about that sub! :T But I really do keep the volume at a reasonable level. Many years of car audio has taught me to respect my ears.
                  The reason that I am upgrading now is because of the new stuff is coming out (which I cannot afford). This gets me more for my money, speaker wise. With the new line coming out alot of people and dealers are dumping the "old" stuff in anticipation of the new line, so the prices are dropping slightly, Case in point, my ASW850 was picked up from my dealer about a two months ago NEW for $1900. I never pay full price, Just last year I picked up my N805's with stands from my dealer for $1400, they were returns from a customer who only had them for a week. I am going to spend the money on the speakers now while I can and upgrade my power later this year. I am thinking either the Rotel RMB-1095 or a Classe amp. I went out to my dealer this evening and looked at amps and what did I find? A black HTM1 that was a customer trade in, I picked it up for $1500 and it still has a warranty! Now I can sell my HTM2, and put the money towards some 804's and be done for awhile.
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Jeff
                    • Dec 2004

Those are some GREAT deals! :E We don't see that in my area. Sounds like some perfit timing on your part. Keep it up. :T

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"