X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ash
    • Dec 2004

Discount on N802

Hi everyone, I need your opinion on this matter. My B&W dealer has a N802 brand-new, he's offering it to me for $7,450. Do you think that this is a good price for this to be replaced model. I have read amazing reviews about the N802 and I only dreamt about having this speaker.

My current speakers are
    N805 (main)
    HTM2
    LCR (rears)

I know that the N802 will outclass all of my speakers, but atleast I will have one right!! :T
  • weijst
    • Jun 2004

Well a 10 to 15% reduction on the catalogueprice is a commonly heard discount. So no, $7450 is not that good a price considering the fact that the new Nautili are due to arive. I think your dealer should be able to go lower..

Furthermore, yes, the N802 is a considerable step up from your current setup (especially for stereo use), but don't insult those 805s and HTM2! They're still very impressive and a lot of 802 owners out there use 805s as their surround channel. Your HTM2 will probably be the most 'noticable link' in your new situation. Than again, just sell it (which won't be that hard, since the HTM2 will be discontinued, so a lot of current 805 owners might want to get their hands on one) once you get some cash again, get yourself a matching second hand HTM1 (a lot of people will wanna upgrade their current HTM1 to one of the new center channels) and you'll be the owner of a very impressive system.

Good luck!
    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Ash
      • Dec 2004

The dealer told me that the speakers were reserved for another person but the customer might want to upgrade to the new speaker range and thus it could be available. He consideried the discounted price in relation to the English price of GBP 6000 (showing at their UK website) which comes to a retail price of $10,800 approx, now going down to $7450 would be a 32% discount. Now it seems that the prices are not standard everywhere, or maybe I'm just getting a bad deal. As the dealer was firm at his price.

I am I getting a bad deal???? Do you think I could push the price lower???

He also told me that the new 802D would be $13,800 approx and thus, it would effectively double in price.

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Ash
        The dealer told me that the speakers were reserved for another person but the customer might want to upgrade to the new speaker range and thus it could be available. He consideried the discounted price in relation to the English price of GBP 6000 (showing at their UK website) which comes to a retail price of $10,800 approx, now going down to $7450 would be a 32% discount. Now it seems that the prices are not standard everywhere, or maybe I'm just getting a bad deal. As the dealer was firm at his price.

I am I getting a bad deal???? Do you think I could push the price lower???

He also told me that the new 802D would be $13,800 approx and thus, it would effectively double in price.
        Is he in the states or in england? if he is in england, then I can't comment, but if he is in the states, he is full of crap! his price is not the same as what they pay in other countries so he can't try and use other countries prices as a scapegoat for a "discount."

If you are in the states, and that is the best he is willing to do, and you can budget that amount, find another dealer that will give you 10% w/o BS and just buy the new 803D's, which are suppose to be comperable, if not slightly better than the current 802's.
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• krishd
          • Dec 2004

Yes .. B&W's prices are set per country. It has got nothing to do with exchange rate. If so then the prices would vary everyday.

probably you should report this dealer to B&W .. (if he is a US dealer)

Comment

• Ash
            • Dec 2004

Without being specific to the country name, it is in Asia (I don't want to give them bad publicity by mentioning the country name because they are the only distributors in that country).

Because it is the only dealership in the country there is no other dealerships to compare to, or choose from. The dealer kept refering to the UK prices. I was told that they have sold all of their 802 stock for $7,450, which he said was the discounted price (and now only one remains and my only chance of getting them, if the current customer desides to go for the new series). I was also offered a pair of 800s for $12,700 (way out of my budget) but he said that they were discounted at 50%. Are these prices much higher than what you can get in the states??? And just for comparison sake, what would be a good price to get a brand new N802 (old series) in the states at this time?? I mean this could help me in price negotiations with the dealer.

When I first started considering the 802s I thought that I would get a new pair for a range between $5,800 to a max of $6,600. But I guess my internet prices knowledge gained me nothing in this country.

He also mentioned to me that the new series will be significantly more expensive, due to the new technologies and adverse Foreign Exchange rates!

I was told that the 803D would be in the rage of $10,500 8O , which to me is a ridiculous increase in the price and it is much more expensive that the old 802s and not the same as was suggested on this forum. This automatically cancelled the 803d to be a candidate against the 802s.

I feel that I might not be getting the bargain that I hoped for :cry: , that is even if I was lucky enough and the other customer desides to go for the new series. However, I don't know how am I going to get over picturing those beautiful N802s in my living room. Damn, they are so desirable!

Any tips from you guys would be appreciated, even regarding the N802 in general (prices and performance of the speaker). I did not even listen to them as all the demos were sold, I am just confident that they will blow me away from expereincing hte 805 and reading about them.

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

If you go to b&w's website, and select your country, then go products - > Speaker types - > floor standers - > Under suitable models you will see three links that include price ranges. - > select the highest price range and it will tell you what B&W has set as the price for the 802's in your country. If it is as significant a discount as the dealer says, then you might want consider the deal.
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Ash,

Bottom line is that B&W prices vary (on raw exchange rates) buy up to 100% (high to low) around thw world. The USA has one of the best prices (cheaper than the UK where B&W are based!). So the old Nautilus 802s were $8000 US or 6000 Pounds (which is $11,250 at current exchnage rates). Most countries have based their prices on the UK prices (which is where they import them from and then marked up from there... So the new 803Ds are UK pound 5500 or US$10,315 - aming your local price reasonable. You would have to import from somewhere like the USA to do better.

B&W dealers in most countires (USA, Europe, Australia) avoid discounting with 10% being good and 15% exceptional.

So your $7450 for the 602 was a good price - much lower than the UK where they are made...

Geoff

Comment

• Rags
                  • Aug 2003

Unfortunately when comparing worldwide B&W prices certain other things have to be taken into account. For example B&W UK prices includes tax at 17.5% whereas you need to add 6-9% (guess) to US prices to get the post tax amount. As a foreign resident if you bought from the UK you will get a refund of the 17.5%. Can make a significant difference when deciding where to buy from.

However given the current weak $ the US is probably still cheaper at the present time. B&W must hate the current exchange rate as they are unable to pass on the full impact of the $'s weakness to US consumers. As with all things relating to the money markets it wont last and will probably fall back to a more reasonable level at some stage (current rate of 1.9 is frankly ridiculous and makes shopping for us Brits in the US very cheap!). Then the prices pre tax are likely to be cheaper in the UK.

Comment

• Ash
                    • Dec 2004

Thanks guys, your insights are very helpful, and will help me to make a better decision. Take care

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"