Please Help the Daunted: Which B&W Option to Choose?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kazander
    • Jan 2005

Please Help the Daunted: Which B&W Option to Choose?

I'm about to jump into a high(er) end HT system and would really appreciate some advice.

I'm doing a 20x20 foot family room addition and am putting in a HT system for family (and my) use. The system is primarily used for watching content, and maybe 10% audio only use.

With a Rotel 1056 (and a Rotel 1040 dvd player), I'm trying to decide between the following combinations: Two things to note: (1) all would probably use the 675 sub, and (2) in ceiling rears are required (by the boss, errrrr, wife).

Option A)
    L/R/C: LCR60 (x3)
    rear: CCM 65

Option B)
    L/R/C: LCR600 (x3)
    Rear: CCM 80

Option C)
    L/R: CM2
    C: CMC
    Rear CCM 80 (or 65)

I'm told that for my use, having all three front speakers the same is a big positive. Additionally, using the 602s3 as L/R wouldn't be as good as using the LCRs because the 602s are lacking a bit in the mid-range. I know this can get subjective, but any input helps.

I've read a little bit about the differences between the CCM65 and CCM80, but any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for any thoughts. This is a fun, but somewhat daunting process.
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Id recommend the 600 over the 60.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Twincam
      • Feb 2004

Well, I would also choose the LCR600 over LCR60 of course. But how about going for 603S3 for L/R instead of the 602S3? Approx. the same price as the LCR600. That's what I personally would choose.

I haven't listened to the CM2, only CM4 . And correct me if I am wrong, but the CM series is about to be discontinued, so maybe you could get a good deal on them? For music, the CM4 is better than the 603S3.

The ASW675 is a good choice IMO.

I have no experience about in-wall/ceiling speakers, but the 600S3 is quite compact, and easy to mount on the wall.

Best regards

TC

Comment

• kazander
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Twincam
        Well, I would also choose the LCR600 over LCR60 of course. But how about going for 603S3 for L/R instead of the 602S3? Approx. the same price as the LCR600. That's what I personally would choose.

TC
        Unfortunately, floor standing aren't an option (grrrrrrrr).

Thanks for the tip about the CM-line. Didn't know about that.

As is the case with many things, cost is always a factor. The $150/pair difference between the CCM65 & the 80s seems to be a good choice. But, where's the priority if I need to make a decision between doing the LCR600s and the 650 sub versus the LCR60s and the 675 sub.

Of course, there's the wife-disapproval-cost that factors into getting the bigger LCR600/650sub as well. *grin*

Thanks for the input so far.

Comment

• dpolmann
          • Dec 2004

I have a 7.1 system, with my surrounds and backs CCM80's. I auditioned these against the CCM65 and liked the warmth and punch of the 80's better. I am not familiar with sound of the front speakers you mentioned...
          Don

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

okay here's an option...

I don't know who said the 602s are worse in the midrange. If anything the 602s BLOW the LCR600 away in every respect. I know, I own 4 602s, 2-604s, the LCR600 and am trying to find a 602 or 604 to replace my LCR600. If anything that is the weakest link in my system.

I would not hesitate to say get two 602s, and the LCR600 though...

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend looking elsewhere for a subwoofer. The $400 SVS PD10-ISD will BLOW AWAY the ASW650 and ASW675... I owned both those subs and was not happy at all because they are a "boomy" sub. They do however, do decent for what they are, but then again... a $400 sub just plain out does them. B&Ws are great, their subs are over priced for the performance you get. I'd even recommend picking up and SVS and demo-ing it (all it would cost you is return shipping of $30 or $40) against either one of those subs, and if you can justify the price of the B&W sub...well you're among the few.

I wouldn't recommend this if I didn't think you'd A) save money and could put more towards speakers and B) have better over-all performance.

Oh, and I don't have the PB10-ISD, I did just for testing purposes, but I ended up with the SVS PC+ 20-39 and I'm looking to upgrade that to a better SVS someday... I'm 100% completely happy. And Customer service with SVS can NOT be beat. Not too often you get to talk to the co-owners about what sub is BEST for your room, not will make them more money. They sold me out of the more expensive sub...but now I think I want to get it because I can't get enough :B :E
            Last edited by PewterTA; 04 January 2005, 07:27 Tuesday.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

I'll 2nd what PewterTA said about 602s lacking in the midrange. I actually find the 602s the strongest in the midrange since it's the only speaker in the range that has a 7'' midrange driver, other than the 604s. I actually have 603s, LCR600 and 601s as a 5.1 setup. I've had every speaker in the 600s range in-home, except the 604s. I liked the 602s the best, but I chose the 603s because for a little more I can have more bass and matching drivers all around. After having the 603s after I had the 602s, I actually really miss the midrange on the 602s. But since I'm planning on upgrading to the 700s anyways, there's not much regret for me in my choices.
              I also have a SVS sub instead of B&Ws subs, which I think are a little bit overpriced. Subs don't have to be made from the same manufacture as the rest of your speakers. I have the SVS PB12plus/2 and I love it. It's a 140lb monster, but I wouldn't take it any other way, the bass from this thing is just amazing. I'm sure B&W has nothing that can touch this SVS for the same price. I had my co-worker here watching movies with me the other day, it was funny watching his reaction to the sub. First he's all, man that thing is huge, why did you buy that? I played a couple of my favorite bass reference scenes for me, he almost jumped out of his seat at times. When we watched LOTR, ROTK EE w/DTS, towards the end where Frodo's heart is beating as he's about to drop the ring into the fire, the bass was thumping so hard, I wish I can show you the face he had on: it was like he's hurting and loving it at the same time...LOL. It was like a squint and a smile!

Comment

• The Lean
                • Jan 2005

With regard to the CCM65 or CCM80, the first thing is to make sure you have enough depth in the ceiling and also if there is the space between the joists for the CCM80.

Why dont you go for INWALL speakers all round?as it will give you more floor space, no wires running about the place, and if you use inwalls with a bit of though you will achive a truly breath taking cinima.

Comment

• kazander
                  • Jan 2005

Thanks for all of the input. It's great to hear about this stuff. I'll make sure about the space for the CCM80s. The room will be prewired so there should be enough space for everything with little wiring showing.

The killer about this is that the first place I went to here in Chicago won't discount *anything*. I think my ideal would be the 705s/HTM7 combo, but without a discount, I'm too much over budget. But, there's a couple of other authorized dealers here in the Chicagoland area that I've read will do better on prices. IF that's the case, and if I can swing a sub that sounds good, looks ok (ie, is smallish in size, but does the job), I might be able to swing the 7s.

We'll see.

Comment

• Twincam
                    • Feb 2004

Well, if you can afford it, go for the 7-series, IMO it's worth the extra $. I don't think that you will regret it. Good luck.

Comment

• dpolmann
                      • Dec 2004

If you are going to seriously consider the 7 series, do yourself a big favor and DO NOT audition the 8 series "just for fun". Once I heard the 805's compared A/B to the 705's, there was no turning back. I just had to have the Nautilus. Lesson: budget goes out the window when auditioning just for fun (this is a great hobby!).
                      Don

Comment

• junior77blue
                        • Nov 2004

so true...so unfortunately true dpolman!!

Comment

• kazander
                          • Jan 2005

dpolmann: Heh. Yeah, I believe it. That's sorta where I am on the 7 series. The 6s would probably work for me, but (and there's always a but), the 7s sounded really nice in comparison. I'd never really *listened* to different speakers before, this could get dangerous.

I don't think I need to worry about the 8s. I could probably get them, but if I did, they'd be in bed with me instead of my wife. Good sound is good, but it isn't everything. *grin*

Comment

• dpolmann
                            • Dec 2004

kazander: for the auditioning process, I created two home-made CD's on my computer with songs that I was very familiar with from listening on my old stereo system. one disk was "lighter" music, primarily with acoustic, piano, vocals, instrumentals. The second disk was "heavier", with rock, jazz, dance music, etc. Every store I went to, each salesman was wowed by my preparation and was more than happy to let me click through all of my songs. One guy even told me he wanted copies of my discs! I had chosen each song with something particular in mind, and I could really focus on the differences in the various speakers (I hate when the salesperson pops in the CD they always use, to try to sell you on things in their own mind/ear). This approach also allowed me to go to different dealers and audition different brands. I listened to a wide range of stuff all the way from Polk, Boston Acoustic, to Monitor Audio, Sonus Faber, B&W, and Dynaudio. Finally, my CD's allowed me to take my wife to just one store on a second trip to point out distinctions among the "short list" of my speaker choices, using songs that she was familiar with. Much less painful for her; much more rewarding for me in the end. So, now I have a HT full of B&W and no one in the house is disappointed! Have Fun!
                            Don

Comment

• junior77blue
                              • Nov 2004

great suggestion dpolmann...definately bring music you like and listen too. And bring in a variety like was suggested...classical to heavy metal...or whatever you listen too.

Keep in mind room acoustics still do play a role, try and listen to as many as you can in the same room, even if it means the sales man has to move some speakers around for you.

Comment

• Twincam
                                • Feb 2004

I don't think I need to worry about the 8s. I could probably get them, but if I did, they'd be in bed with me instead of my wife. Good sound is good, but it isn't everything. *grin*

On the other hand, if you look around maybe you could get a good deal on the outgoing Nautilus line!? Here in Switzerland I bought a pair of SCM1's a few weeks ago, and got them cheaper than a pair of 705 for example. And the N805/HTM2 got a higher WAF than 705/HTM7, although my gf doesn't allow me to have them in them bed :wink:

Comment

• kazander
                                  • Jan 2005

Other Alternatives....

Ok, I checked out a different authorized dealer in Chicagoland and of course, now I'm even more confused. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to audition all of these choices yet because he didn't have the 604s3 in stock. In any event, your additional thoughts would be appreciated:

Prices on these options are within a few hundred bucks, so its a hard decision. Which option is "better" for a primary HT system?

Option 1:
                                  L/R: 604s3
                                  C: LCR600s3
                                  Rear: CCM80s
                                  Sub: Def Tech Supercube I

Option 2:
                                  L/R 705s
                                  C: HTM7
                                  Rear CCM80s
                                  Sub Supercube I

Then the secondary question (and maybe I'll have to go to the Rotel board on this), is will the 1056 adequately power these options (I will *not* be cranking stuff really loud (particularly with two young kids asleep)) and possibly allow me to upgrade to the 704s in the future. The Arcam AVR300 is at a price point I can do, but the Rotel 1067 is too high.

Thanks for any thoughts!

PS: Listened to the 704s, very sweet, not all that workable price-wise right now.

Comment

• rick c
                                    • Aug 2004

I'll tell you what i have in a 20.5 x 19.5 room.I have a rotel 1056 w/603s3, lcr600 and def.tech. promonitor 100 as surrounds(until i get the 601s3's)as well as a def.tech 200tl sub.the 1056 is plenty of power for these spkrs.I will probably add an amp in the future to really get these spkrs moving(but thats also debatable).But for right now it sounds great with room to spare.The 1056 is really a great receiver.Besides you can have the 1056 and a good amp for less than the 1067.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"