X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caleb
    • Aug 2004

802 bulletts

Hi all,

I read an article in another forum ops: about the centre bullet for the FST unit on the 802 (also applies to 800 & 801).

This guy had changed the plastic bullet for the aluminium one fron the signature 800 and claimed it made a big difference to the sound.

Anyone care to comment?

Caleb
  • JürgenW
    • Jul 2004

I don't have another centre bullet, but I have read quite a few controversing statements ofthe effect of a metallic centre bullet. To me the quintessence was that it is less (or no) effective.

Comment

• hillen
      • Nov 2004

IT DOES MALE A DIFFERENCE, FOR THE BETTER!!!!!!!
      B&W found that aluminium is the best material, better than copper or other metals.
      It influences the inductance of the voicecoil. I replaced the bullets ( of my Nautilus 802 midrange units) by the original Alu ones of the Sig 800, removed the paint ( very important, because then the Alu is making direct contact with the pole ), and was stunned while listening. Its a giant LEAP forward. Much smoother, more impulsive, less distorted sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

According to an interview in HiFi+ Magazine, with two of the designers from B&W (on the Nautilus range in general and especially on the signature 805) they changed the "bullet" on the signature models, but they could not do this without changing the driver, as it affects the magnetic flux. So the new drivers have a 38% bigger magnet.
        So - I would be carefull in changing them or attaching them to drivers that where not fitted with it from the beginning..

Comment

• jlee
          • Aug 2004

The S805 is the only one in the signature series to have a bigger magnet from what my dealer tells me. The SCM Signature has the same magnet but upgraded bullet. The N800 and S800 have the bullet on the FST and I don't think the magnet was changed for that driver either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 38% bigger magnet was installed on the S805 for better bass control not as a result of necessity based on the different bullet.

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

According to the interview, they also had to change the crossover values - so I still dont think it is a quick fix. Especially since its not that easy to go back once you have done it.
            On the bass control... well measurement wise the normal 805 and the sig 805 are almost identical, so dont think that is the reason..

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"