B&W 683 / B&W ASW 610 Subwoofer (2)

Speaker Cables
        SignalCable Ultra Bi-Wire

Interconnects
        SignalCable Analog Two Balanced

System Rack
        Sanus Java Series JFA36e

Other Accessories
        PS Audio Duet Power Center, PS Audio Noise Harvester, Power Cables: Signalcable MagicPower Power Cord & MagicPower Digital Reference
        Wow, as a soon-to-be 683 owner (and a fellow Bostonian), what a great pic!

I love all the photos on this thread! I am curious, though-- I have yet to see any which include massive numbers of CDs (this being my storage/decor burden to bear)....

Comment

• AV-OCD
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SteelyTom

I love all the photos on this thread! I am curious, though-- I have yet to see any which include massive numbers of CDs (this being my storage/decor burden to bear)....
          Two words: music server

I've got about 1000 CDs stored on a 1 terrabyte HD in Apple Lossless. Takes up less than 10 inches square of space, and everything in my collection can be accessed instantly.

So rip 'em, box 'em up, and put 'em in the garage.

Comment

• marsboer
            • Sep 2007

It's probably because this is the "Picture of your B&W Set-up"-thread and not "Pictures of your CD-collection"-thread :B

I have all my music digitally as FLAC. I do not own a single lossy file, not one mp3, only heavenly lossless FLAC.
            I do have some "special" CD's in my room for show only, but they are never actually used. Most of my CD's are packed in boxes, only used once: when they were ripped to my rackmounted 11TB file server with online backup every night to my backup server located at work in case of fire/nukes/thieves/whatever at home.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by AV-OCD
              Two words: music server I've got about 1000 CDs stored on a 1 terrabyte HD in Apple Lossless. Takes up less than 10 inches square of space, and everything in my collection can be accessed instantly.

1000 CDs that is amazing!! I only have 600 and 100 SACD
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by marsboer
                It's probably because this is the "Picture of your B&W Set-up"-thread and not "Pictures of your CD-collection"-thread :B

I have all my music digitally as FLAC. I do not own a single lossy file, not one mp3, only heavenly lossless FLAC.
                I do have some "special" CD's in my room for show only, but they are never actually used. Most of my CD's are packed in boxes, only used once: when they were ripped to my rackmounted 11TB file server with online backup every night to my backup server located at work in case of fire/nukes/thieves/whatever at home.
                thats quite a DR strategy for a home system... what are you using for the rackmount server?
                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

Two words: music server
                  I've got about 1000 CDs stored on a 1 terrabyte HD in Apple Lossless. Takes up less than 10 inches square of space, and everything in my collection can be accessed instantly.

Hi,
                  in the last months the HighEnd is go is this direction. MP3, music server, the big brand have made a "special" server: Linn have a great "server", a lot of $$$ but very amazing.

the CD are reall< DEAD!?!?
                  with the music well, with the movie we go see.... now the 3D bluray coming...
                  with just buiyed a lot of bluray disc in place of dvd.....another story start?!?

I have a ca 3000DVD and more a 280 BLURAYdisc!!!

with the music the erver I can "understand" and accept but with the movie
                  I think "we" need another year or so it... :W

Style

Comment

• AV-OCD
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by marsboer
                    Wrong thread?

Couldn't see any B&W in there?
                    While those pics were off-topic, I still likey!

I'm a sucker for Euro Modern decore and design.

I don't know what "NeoDio" does, but I want it!

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Nice 800D pictures

and the old guard!

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• marsboer
                        • Sep 2007

I have stored all my DVD's and Blu-rays as 1:1 copies in ISO-format on my server too. That's why I need a lot more than my current disc storage soon. I'm awaiting 3TB drives first though. Upgrading from 1.5 to 2TB drives seems such a waste.

Comment

• MikeFL52
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by style
                          the CD are reall< DEAD!?!?

Style
                          CDs are not dead.

How does everyone create the files on their servers? they rip them in whatever format they want from CDs, for me it's FLAC.

You cannot get high quality music as a download except in a few instances such as B&Ws Society Of Sound and this is very specialized, or HDtracks.com which also does not have the musiic that I want to buy, so until high quality lossless downloads become the norm I will keep on buying CDs.

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

Hi Mike,

I agree :T
                            I love have the CD disc in my hand! a flie in my PC give not the same sensation!

A CD-disc in my hands with the cover, packaging and quality is a wonderful thing. :T

in the magazines you can read that Cd are with "your 20 years and the new tech. like Ipod made the dead from the beloved "ring in plastic" called CD..
                            but you can the read " in the last time a lot of young people have discovered the vinyl and turntable sales increased dramatically!

-> then buy the CD first and then bring it on hard disc :W

Style

Comment

• gomerpile1
                              • Mar 2010

Sallamander stand

Originally posted by htsteve
                              will1066,

Very nice set-up, both AV and visually. I have a similar set-up with my center channel, the HTM1 (see attached picture). I wanted to comment on the placement of your center channel inside the cabinet. I would recommend that the tweeter face not be obstructed on any side if possible. It's hard to tell from the picture, but the top of the tweeter might be 'covered' a bit by the top and sides of the cabinet (even if the cabinet walls are not right on the speaker). This will add a bit of muffling of the sound. If possible, try moving the center into the room a bit. You might be surprised at what 1/2 inch or 1 or 2 inches can do to the sound at the upper end. I realize that moving the speaker out does expose it more (like if there are kids running around). However, I think you might be happy with the improvement (and it's FREE).

Hope this helps.
                              I noticed that on your Sallamander Design stand the center shelves are curved in the front. What are they called? Do you still have the specs in your stand? I would love to be able to put this combination together.

Comment

• htsteve
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by gomerpile1
                                I noticed that on your Sallamander Design stand the center shelves are curved in the front. What are they called? Do you still have the specs in your stand? I would love to be able to put this combination together.

First of all, welcome to the forum. :T

The shelf you are referring to is actually a bridge. Currently, I have two S20 cabinets. I tie them together with three bridges. One side of the bridge is curved. It works out nicely.

That style of bridge may not be made anymore. I do not see it on Slamander's website (www.mander.com). You might give them a call. Maybe they still have some in stock. I think they were called 'Bridge One' or 'Bridge Two'.

In any case, you can still get 2 S20's and the current bridges and make a system almost identical.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Captain Reg
                                  • Mar 2008

Thanks Tom! Enjoy your 683's. I do have a number of discs directly behind my listening position. I am currently using this storage solution (wife approved )

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

• Blindamood
                                    • Sep 2003

I still buy CDs, but I rip them all to FLAC, and then ditch the jewel cases and keep the original discs and booklets in a few of these:

Leather CD Binder
                                    Brad

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Blindamood
                                      I still buy CDs, but I rip them all to FLAC, and then ditch the jewel cases and keep the original discs and booklets in a few binders
                                      Same here but rip them to Apple Loosless so Apple TV can sinc all the music library :B

Comment

• SteelyTom
                                        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Blindamood
                                        I still buy CDs, but I rip them all to FLAC, and then ditch the jewel cases and keep the original discs and booklets in a few of these:

Leather CD Binder
                                        Guys, thanks for the thoughts re CDs/CD storage. Alas, I'm still attached to the medium, and as Chris probably knows, there are places here in Boston to grab brand-new ones, including SACDs, for four to six bucks... Cheaper than download, I reckon.

Speaking of SACD-- what happens to the SACD layer when the CD data is backed up onto a server or like digital storage?

Comment

• SteelyTom
                                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Captain Reg
                                          Thanks Tom! Enjoy your 683's. I do have a number of discs directly behind my listening position. I am currently using this storage solution (wife approved )

Chris-- Love the Arts and Crafts look of that piece. What is it? Capacity looks to be, what, maybe 900 or so discs?

Comment

• Blindamood
                                            • Sep 2003

Speaking of SACD-- what happens to the SACD layer when the CD data is backed up onto a server or like digital storage?
                                            Not sure what you're asking...but SACDs do go in a different binder.
                                            Brad

Comment

• Captain Reg
                                              • Mar 2008

Chris-- Love the Arts and Crafts look of that piece. What is it? Capacity looks to be, what, maybe 900 or so discs?
                                              Thanks, it holds 1050. I am using some of the shelves for boxed sets. The doors are nice to keep little hands away from my collection. I can't believe I am almost ready for another one.

Please find a link below (the lights are from IKEA):

Comment

• Isaac
                                                • Jan 2006

My updated Setup.

Here is an updated picture of my set-up.

Attached Files

Comment

• JustinGN
                                                  • May 2009

Guys, thanks for the thoughts re CDs/CD storage. Alas, I'm still attached to the medium, and as Chris probably knows, there are places here in Boston to grab brand-new ones, including SACDs, for four to six bucks... Cheaper than download, I reckon.

You can't rip SACD like you can a CD, unfortunately. I think Sony made some PC SACD readers for their Vaio systems a long, long time ago, but they may have just been DSD burners. Either way, the only way to copy an SACD track to a PC is time, a high-end audio capture card, and analog outputs.

That's why nobody does it

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Nov 2004

Isaac, your little "Isaac's Stereo" is pretty funny to me.
                                                    Nice room. You definitely did a lot for room treatment, huh.
                                                    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Olavi
                                                      • Feb 2010

Nice room Isaac! What bass traps are those? DIY?

Comment

• Isaac
                                                        • Jan 2006

Olavi, I use Real Traps for all reflection points and Bassbusters/CornerBusters from Echobusters (Which I believe recently went out of business).

Comment

• brb01
                                                          • Mar 2010

Just thought I would post a pic of my system that has been in the making for the last year. McIntosh C-45 preamp and MC-352 amp. The source is a Cambridge 840c and the speakers are B&W 803d's. I have MIT S1's for interconnects and S3 speaker cables. I usually have a tv on this stand but recently added the MC-352 and need to invest in a good stand. I moved everything to a different part of my room to see how it sounds. I must say that it sounds so much better now then where it was previously. I need to put my door back on behind the right front speaker and do some room treatments and I think I will be done for now.

Any recommendations anyone has would be appreciated as this is my first system I have put together.

Comment

• wettou
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • May 2006

Originally posted by brb01
                                                            Just thought I would post a pic of my system that has been in the making for the last year. McIntosh C-45 preamp and MC-352 amp. The source is a Cambridge 840c and the speakers are B&W 803d's. I have MIT S1's for interconnects and S3 speaker cables. I usually have a tv on this stand but recently added the MC-352 and need to invest in a good stand. I moved everything to a different part of my room to see how it sounds. I must say that it sounds so much better now then where it was previously. I need to put my door back on behind the right front speaker and do some room treatments and I think I will be done for now.

Any recommendations anyone has would be appreciated as this is my first system I have put together.
                                                            Nice clean look

Comment

• Ken49r
                                                              • Dec 2007

I usually have a tv on this stand but recently added the MC-352 and need to invest in a good stand. I moved everything to a different part of my room to see how it sounds. I must say that it sounds so much better now then where it was previously. I need to put my door back on behind the right front speaker and do some room treatments and I think I will be done for now.

You obviously know the right direction to follow.....I would love to see your room a year or two from now.

This looks like the beginning of a very nice two channel system. McI and B&W are a nice combo.

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Jun 2004

Look into Salamander designs for a good high quality stand weather your going to put a tv back on it or just use it for 2 channel music. They make a line called synergy which you can configure just about any way you want. They make amp stands and just about anything you need in any way you want. Go check them out I think it's the perfect solution to your new room.

For over 20 years, Salamander Designs has been designing and manufacturing award-winning, customizable AV Furniture, TV Wall Mounts and Home Theater Seating.

Comment

• jericho
                                                                  • Dec 2004

Give the new McIntosh MCD-500 a try!!!

BTW very nice setup :T

Comment

• htsteve
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2004

brb01,

First of all, welcome to the forum! :T

You have a beautiful set up. It looks beautiful, and I know it sounds wonderful. I have an HT set up based on 802D's and the MC402. I do love seeing pictures of B&W and Mac together.

I also recommend the Salamander Synergy line of products. I bought a full Synergy system about a decade ago. I've totally revamped it twice since then. I was able to re-use about 75% of the original set-up in the ensuing entertainment centers. So 'buying' a new set-up was not hard nor overly expensive. I just got the parts I needed.

As to room treatments, you've already got some, carpeting and curtains. Bass traps in the corners and first point reflection treament is where I would look at first. There are DIY types of acoustic panels. I also have used Real Traps with excellent results.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2008

Beautiful 803Ds and Mac amps! Congrats!!! :T

Comment

• Relentless
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jul 2007

Delete....... First thing I noticed was the missing door but some how I missed your statement about putting it back. That has to be throwing off the sound stage.
                                                                        Last edited by Relentless; 13 March 2010, 10:49 Saturday. Reason: I am an idiot.
                                                                        I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                                                                        Lou

Comment

• brb01
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2010

Thanks for all of the positive comments. Yes the door is back on now I was just lazy last night after moving everything. I have looked at the salamander racks and they do look very nice. I just am wondering if they are as good for vibration control as a rack from Adona or Billy Bags?
                                                                          Last edited by brb01; 14 March 2010, 22:12 Sunday.

Comment

• Relentless
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2007
                                                                            • 317

Thanks for all of the positive comments. Yes the door is back on now I was just lazy last night after moving everything. I have looked at the salamander racks and they do look very nice. I just am wondering if they are as good for vibration control as a rack from Adona or Billy Bags?
                                                                            Also I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with MIT cables with this set up? I switched amps from the Bryston 4bst and it is not nearly as transparent as it used to be. It is a little more laid back sound than I would like especially with some rock music. Just wondering if switching to a Nordost or Cardas cable would help just tweak it a little bit more to my liking?
                                                                            The 4Bst is a accurate amp with great bass control and it is excellent for rock but will highlight any bad recording especially in the highs and can get a little fatiguing. As where the Mac is slightly warmer and great for vocals so it is more of a relaxed presentation. I would say the same about the two cables you mentioned, while Nordost characteristic is more like the Bryston amp, Cardas is warmer and will most likely get you further away from where you want to be. These are just my opinions and I would love to get into the cable debate but I promised myself not to travel that road anymore. Plus specific cable talk is mostly frowned upon around here. As always the only way to truly find out is to borrow them from a dealer and compare them in your system.
                                                                            I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                                                                            Lou

Comment

• wettou
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2006
                                                                              • 3389

800Di ) ! ... FRED

Comment

• style
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2006
                                                                                • 1562

new go B&W serie DIAMANT:

Go see

(Elfbi offert from Mr.Fredfish)

and

courtesy from Fred (Elfbi) and NewMusic (Naturel) that with a store in Belgium (Bruxelles) the HighEnd news on the net... :T

Style

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2006
                                                                                  • 3389

On an other note .....

On an other note any one knows these guys?

AMERICAN THEATER

Are they for real?

Comment

• JustinGN
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2009
                                                                                    • 105

Originally posted by wettou
                                                                                    On an other note any one knows these guys?

AMERICAN THEATER

Are they for real?
                                                                                    They are not on Marantz's approved online dealer list, not to mention the sheer number of spelling and grammar errors throughout the pages as well as the @msn.com e-mail address for the owner. I'd say avoid, definitely looks like a Grey Market site judging by the prices on gear, or possibly worse.

Comment

• artv4
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2007
                                                                                      • 277

def get some acoustic treatment. awesome rig man!!!!
                                                                                      GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• ryan.devry
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2008
                                                                                        • 60

Basement is finished

System is still a work in progress. I want to get back into 5.1 and get into higher end gear. Here is my modest 2.1 System

Samsung 50" PLasma
                                                                                        HK Stereo reciever
                                                                                        Oppo Digital CD/DVD play
                                                                                        Sony Blue ray Player
                                                                                        Monster Cable Power Conditioner
                                                                                        B&W 685
                                                                                        B&W ASW608
                                                                                        Harmony remote
                                                                                        Xbox 360
                                                                                        All MIT Cables/interconnects
                                                                                        Attached Files
                                                                                        Ryan
                                                                                        -------------------------

Comment

• ryan.devry
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Apr 2008
                                                                                          • 60

I had a side Pic, but it was blury. I didn;t notice it before I posted the Pics, I might retake it...lol.........There is a Gas fire place off to the left....
                                                                                          Ryan
                                                                                          -------------------------

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                                            • 3389

Originally posted by ryan.devry
                                                                                            System is still a work in progress. I want to get back into 5.1 and get into higher end gear. Here is my modest 2.1 System: Samsung 50" PLasma, HK Stereo receiver, Oppo Digital CD/DVD play, Sony Blue ray Player, Monster Cable Power Conditioner, B&W 685 , B&W ASW608, Harmony remote, Xbox 360, All MIT Cables/interconnects
                                                                                            Interesting you spend a ton of $$$$ on your cables rather than getting better speakers what is the rational?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"