• Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Gremal
    New setup with 802D and 5010 kuro

Image not available

Wish I could upgrade the HTM1 to the HTM1D, but can't afford to right now.
    You have very nice speakers with those 802d's though!

do you move them out from the walls at all? I have noticed 100% improvement with 802's of any generation when they aren't next to the wall.
    Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 13:36 Tuesday. Reason: Update quote
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by corbelli
      My new pair of B&W801D:

Image not available

I´m waiting for a pair of Electrocompaniet NEMO monoblocks amplifiers...

Any information or experience about this monoblocks?

Thanks in advance. Daniel

We will have to start calling you Abbey - or should that be Mr A Road (I have heard they now run Classe but that is splitting hairs)
      Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 13:38 Tuesday. Reason: Update quote
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Mark-n-b
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Gremal
        New setup with 802D and 5010 kuro

Image not available

Wish I could upgrade the HTM1 to the HTM1D, but can't afford to right now.
        How do you find the HTM1 with the 802Ds? I am thinking of going with the HTM2D because of the size of the HTM1D - have you seen the size of it? 8O

Any chance of a photo with the covers off? :T
        Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 13:37 Tuesday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• sg2
          • Sep 2006

Hi,

For what it's worth, I have a setup with 2x802D's and an HTM2D, and I find the later to blend seamlessly with the mains...

Regards,
          --
          Stéphane
          Regards,
          --
          Stéphane

Comment

• Xavier
            • May 2007

My system

After the initial setup and twicking of my system, here are the latest photos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	0582800x600.webp
Views:	55
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	948881

Name:	0587_0588800x600.webp
Views:	57
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	948882

Name:	0588_0588800x600.webp
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	948883
            Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 05:09 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
            System: CLASSÉ SSP-800; CLASSÉ CA3200 (F+C); TAG 100x5R (S) - Speakers: B&W 802D (F) + B&W HTM4s (C) + TAG Calliope (S) + REL STRATA V Sources: CLASSÉ CDP300; Oppo BDP-83 NE - Video: Panasonic PT-AE3000; Tela BEAMAX (moldura)

Comment

• Xavier
              • May 2007

My new pair of B&W801D:

I´m waiting for a pair of Electrocompaniet NEMO monoblocks amplifiers...
              Any information or experience about this monoblocks?
              Thanks in advance. Daniel
              I have listened to a 6x801D + 6xNEMO setup in a mastering studio in Lisbon and it was something out of this world. It really takes your breath away. I'm sure that you'll fall out of the chair. I've never heard an electric guitar sounding so real and so in-your-face like in this setup. When I left I so exited that I looked like a kid. Try "Money for nothing"! You can (in Stereo) hear Mark Knofler and Still right in the middle of the speakers :T I almost sware that the central speaker was on.
              Last edited by Xavier; 14 February 2008, 11:55 Thursday. Reason: .
              System: CLASSÉ SSP-800; CLASSÉ CA3200 (F+C); TAG 100x5R (S) - Speakers: B&W 802D (F) + B&W HTM4s (C) + TAG Calliope (S) + REL STRATA V Sources: CLASSÉ CDP300; Oppo BDP-83 NE - Video: Panasonic PT-AE3000; Tela BEAMAX (moldura)

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by sg2
                Hi,

For what it's worth, I have a setup with 2x802D's and an HTM2D, and I find the later to blend seamlessly with the mains...

Regards,
                --
                Stéphane
                Thank you Stephane.

Comment

• corbelli
                  • Jul 2006

I am waiting impatiently for the NEMO. Meanwhile I am trying some JC1 of parasound of a friend and are very good, too.

http://www.parasound.com/halo/jc1.php

We will have to start calling you Abbey - or should that be Mr A Road (I have heard they now run Classe but that is splitting hairs)
                  Any problem or info about Abbey Road and Classé sinergy with Nautilus??? :roll:

I´m interested about any Nautilus-Abbey Road info.

Best Regards.
                  Mr A. Road. :lol:

Comment

• corbelli
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Xavier
                    I have listened to a 6x801D + 6xNEMO setup in a mastering studio in Lisbon and it was something out of this world. It really takes your breath away. I'm sure that you'll fall out of the chair. I've never heard an electric guitar sounding so real and so in-your-face like in this setup. When I left I so exited that I looked like a kid. Try "Money for nothing"! You can (in Stereo) hear Mark Knofler and Still right in the middle of the speakers :T I almost sware that the central speaker was on.

Thank you. I have any info about this comment by "o mesmo Joao" of "O Ganho do Som" :

http://www.audiomania.com.pt/index.php?topic=600.30 :T

Comment

• jack667
                      • Jul 2007

Home demo of the 805s - not impressed - 683 blew them away in almost every area other than perhaps 5-10% additional detail, but the midrange still had a nicer sound in the 683.

New hifi/tv stand - the package is complete!
                      B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• arcam_boy
                        • Jan 2008

:rofl: :rofl: lol the 805S's would blow any of the 600 or 700 series in to the water period. :rofl:

Comment

• jack667
                          • Jul 2007

Yeah, in your opinion. Have you heard either side by side on my set up in my room? No didn't think so.. "lol"

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jack667
                            Yeah, in your opinion. Have you heard either side by side on my set up in my room? No didn't think so.. "lol"
                            Were the 805s run in properly or were they new?

I heard the 683s yesterday and they sounded great. They blow the competition out of the water at the price range in my opinion and also my mates opinion as he is now buying a pair!

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                              • Apr 2005

I am waiting impatiently for the NEMO. Meanwhile I am trying some JC1 of parasound of a friend and are very good, too.

http://www.parasound.com/halo/jc1.php

Any problem or info about Abbey Road and Classé sinergy with Nautilus??? :roll:

I´m interested about any Nautilus-Abbey Road info.

Best Regards.
                              Mr A. Road. :lol:
                              Dear Mr. A Road,

Could you please give me the inner dimensions of your bunker? I am seriously thinking of building a cellar/bunker of my own during an extension build to the house we are doing in the next couple of years.

Would you be prepared to create an English thread on the bunker construction? I would be extremely grateful and I am sure that other members on this forum would find the experience fascinating!

Comment

• jack667
                                • Jul 2007

Hi Mark,

Yeah, they were run in good and proper - for around 18 months.

I don't doubt that perhaps in a different set up they might sound fantastic - but for me, it was literally night and day between the speakers..

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                  • Apr 2005

Since my setup is far from complete, here are a few close up shots of the newest additions to the family!

Name:	_DSC0262.webp
Views:	59
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	948884

Name:	_DSC0263.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	948885

Name:	_DSC0258.webp
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	948886

Name:	_DSC0257.webp
Views:	53
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	948887

Name:	_DSC0267.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	948888

Name:	_DSC0264.webp
Views:	58
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	948889
                                  Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 05:12 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• jack667
                                    • Jul 2007

Amazing photos mate - what camera are you using?

I'd watch that sunlight though - will fade the wood eventually.

I am extremely jealous! Bet it sounds brilliant

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                      • Apr 2005

Amazing photos mate - what camera are you using?

I'd watch that sunlight though - will fade the wood eventually.

I am extremely jealous! Bet it sounds brilliant
                                      Thanks Jack.

The camera is a Sony DSC-R1.

The Sunlight is OK as the wood is Cherry and quite light anyway, but normally we have blinds but we are decorating so there are none at the moment.

As for how they sound - well I don't know yet as i am waiting for my processor and amp to arrive - any day now apparently! I can say that they look fantastic.

Comment

• kobestonecold
                                        • Sep 2007

Hello jack667. Do you think 683 is better than 805s? I am looking to upgrade to 804s or 803d. Still saving some more money.

Comment

• Shyamalan
                                          • Sep 2006

Congratulations for your setup, Mark-n-b. I love this speakers.
                                          I have the same tv and I think it's absolutely great. Are you happy with it?

Comment

• jack667
                                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by kobestonecold
                                            Hello jack667. Do you think 683 is better than 805s? I am looking to upgrade to 804s or 803d. Still saving some more money.
                                            To my ear, and for the vast collection of music I listen to - yes, 100%. I couldn't live with the 805s - I do understand that under different conditions they might really sing - but ultimately, they didn't work out for me, which is a shame, because I was very excited about joining the 800 series club - ha!

I haven't heard the 804s or 803s, but I am hoping this would solve all my issues as I do plan to move to the 803s in future, when funds allow..

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Shyamalan
                                              Congratulations for your setup, Mark-n-b. I love this speakers.
                                              I have the same tv and I think it's absolutely great. Are you happy with it?
                                              Thank you Shyamalan!

The TV is just excellent. I really love it - so many picture settings! I must admit I wish I had gone for the 52" version now but it is still a really satisfying picture, especially when playing an 1080p picture.

The setup is is not complete yet. I have a new stand coming soon made from Oak, Black ash and granite (my own design) and new Denon AVP-A1HD and POA-A1HD (connected with KingCat XLR - thanks Doug!) and a Denon TU-1800DAB tuner.

I will take many more pictures and post them here after the next influx of AV equipment!

Comment

• Ronin
                                                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Mark-n-b
                                                Since my setup is far from complete, here are a few close up shots of the newest additions to the family!
                                                Congrat for your setup! I love this speakers. :W
                                                When I have enough money, I"ll buy a same one.
                                                Sorry for my english... ops:

Comment

• Xavier
                                                  • May 2007

Ganho do Som

Thank you. I have any info about this comment by "o mesmo Joao" of "O Ganho do Som" :
                                                  http://www.audiomania.com.pt/index.php?topic=600.30 :T
                                                  "Ganho do Som" was the studio I've visited and it was the main reason for me to change my path towards B&W speakers.

Comment

• Ronin
                                                    • Jan 2008

Dear Mark!

Can you tell me, how much your speakers cost in england?

In Hungary the cheapest price is 13500 euro/pair, but it's too much for me. In England, or Germany is there cheaper shop? I saw, that in US, you can buy 802D for just 14000$, but If I buy for them, I must pay +tax, +deliver, +duty, so I should buy 802D in EU (maybe a used for eBay, if I can't find cheaper price...).

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Ronin
                                                      Congrat for your setup! I love this speakers. :W
                                                      When I have enough money, I"ll buy a same one.
                                                      Thank you!

Dear Mark!

Can you tell me, how much your speakers cost in england?

In Hungary the cheapest price is 13500 euro/pair, but it's too much for me. In England, or Germany is there cheaper shop? I saw, that in US, you can buy 802D for just 14000$, but If I buy for them, I must pay +tax, +deliver, +duty, so I should buy 802D in EU (maybe a used for eBay, if I can't find cheaper price...).
                                                      The list price of the 802Ds here in the UK is £8,000 I believe, but you can look at getting at least £1,000 off of that price with negotiation I should think. I did get a good discount, but I was also spending another £10,000 at the same time and I paid up front.

I would have no hesitation to buy second hand - but be careful on ebay as there are scams surrounding B&W 800 series speakers. If you do see something you like, ask for actual photos and ask the seller plenty of questions. :W

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                                        • Apr 2005

To my ear, and for the vast collection of music I listen to - yes, 100%. I couldn't live with the 805s - I do understand that under different conditions they might really sing - but ultimately, they didn't work out for me, which is a shame, because I was very excited about joining the 800 series club - ha!

I haven't heard the 804s or 803s, but I am hoping this would solve all my issues as I do plan to move to the 803s in future, when funds allow..
                                                        Jack,

Could it be that the amplifier is not pushing the 805S? It could be that the amp is a great match for the 683s, but not the 805s. Perhaps if you did the same test with something like Classe gear, you would hear the 805S being pushed further than the 683s are able to go?

PS I am not criticizing your amp because I know nothing about it!

Comment

• Ronin
                                                          • Jan 2008

Unfortunatly It's too much for me. The US price is about good for me. It's approximately 9500 euro (~£6,500) or less. It's a little bit irritating. B&W factory is in England, right? Why B&W sell these products higher price in EU?

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                                            • Apr 2005

Unfortunatly It's too much for me. The US price is about good for me. It's approximately 9500 euro (~£6,500) or less. It's a little bit irritating. B&W factory is in England, right? Why B&W sell these products higher price in EU?
                                                            European and UK taxes play a great roll in the price differential.

Comment

• Ronin
                                                              • Jan 2008

Can you tell me, what are the offical US taxis?

Our contry the tax is 20%, but I think a main reason is not the tax. My dealer use 40-50% profit-margin... no comment

About 3-4 years ago, there were some distributors in Germany, where you could buy for example S804 speaker for just 2300euro/pair. It was new with 5year warranty. Unfortunatly those distributors doesn't sell B&W anymore.

European and UK taxes play a great roll in the price differential.

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                                • Sep 2003

Can you tell me, what are the offical US taxis?
                                                                Taxes are usually in the 5-7% range, depending on the state and county in which you live.
                                                                Brad

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                                                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Steelyfan
                                                                  Wonderful pictures !
                                                                  Cheers :T

Originally posted by Steelyfan
                                                                  wonderful camera, I have the same one
                                                                  Yes it is good but a bit temperamental in low light - need the X32 flash gun to solve that. It will do until Sony release the α900 ;x(

Comment

• arcam_boy
                                                                    • Jan 2008

amazing mark, i'm more than jealous lol you should get a few pics up on avforums as well!

what amp etc are you getting? also where did you buy the 802D's from?

:T

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by arcam_boy
                                                                      amazing mark, i'm more than jealous lol you should get a few pics up on avforums as well!

what amp etc are you getting? also where did you buy the 802D's from?

:T
                                                                      Thanks mate. Yes I could put some pics up on there I suppose.

I am getting the Denon AVP-A1HD and POA-A1HD combo. I got the speakers from Martins Hi-Fi in Norwich.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by kobestonecold
                                                                        705 to 804 is a nice improvement - I feel no need to get the bigger B&Ws, assuming no lotto win.

My future system tweeks will cost enough without feeling the need to go with a $15,000 in Australia 803D. 804s in my room sounds stunning when set up right so selling my speakers and finding a further 10 grand or so has no appeal.
                                                                        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                                                        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Ronin
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                                                          705 to 804 is a nice improvement - I feel no need to get the bigger B&Ws, assuming no lotto win.

My future system tweeks will cost enough without feeling the need to go with a $15,000 in Australia 803D. 804s in my room sounds stunning when set up right so selling my speakers and finding a further 10 grand or so has no appeal.
                                                                          Good for you.

Long long time ago I used a 705 too, and now a 804, but unfortunatly I feel need to get a bigger (802D).

My old system:

705, HTM7, MartinLogan Dynamo, Denon DVD2910, Rotel RSP1068, RMB1066

705, Denon DVD2910, Linn Kolektor, Linn LK85

Comment

• Ronin
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2008
                                                                            • 20

N804, Linn kolektor, Denon DVD2910, Mark Levinson 331

Comment

• Ronin
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Jan 2008
                                                                              • 20

More pic for 804.

Comment

• Ronin
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2008
                                                                                • 20

More Linn...

Test day: Martin Logan Dynamo, REL Quake, same cables, Nordost active ps

Own: Denon DVD2910, Primare D20 CD player, Linn LK85 x 2 bi-amp, Linn kolektor, N804, Onkyo stereo amp, Ipod...

Comment

• Ronin
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2008
                                                                                  • 20

Advanced Acoustic DAC (2 torroid ps, 384/24 DAC, XLR)

Comment

• Ronin
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2008
                                                                                    • 20

AQ1 Power amp. Class A, 2x50W, Dual mono, Symmetric (with XLR in), 2KW torroid ps.

I love it. This is my best amp ever.

Comment

• corbelli
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2006
                                                                                      • 29

Dear Mr. A Road,

Could you please give me the inner dimensions of your bunker? I am seriously thinking of building a cellar/bunker of my own during an extension build to the house we are doing in the next couple of years.

Would you be prepared to create an English thread on the bunker construction? I would be extremely grateful and I am sure that other members on this forum would find the experience fascinating!
                                                                                      Sorry, I am not prepared for this work yet...any help to translate?

Interior dimensions are: 8,4*4,75*2,8 (meters).

Thanks for your words and good luck with your bunker building. :

Comment

• Tommy
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Dec 2006
                                                                                        • 110

More Linn...

Test day: Martin Logan Dynamo, REL Quake, same cables, Nordost active ps

Own: Denon DVD2910, Primare D20 CD player, Linn LK85 x 2 bi-amp, Linn kolektor, N804, Onkyo stereo amp, Ipod...

Nice setup! I also own the N804. What brand of isolation mat is that under the N804? Do they work?

Comment

• Ronin
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2008
                                                                                          • 20

1 layer leather ( one side is leather, other side is textile) (for cohesion)
                                                                                          2 layer textile (for vibrancy reduction)
                                                                                          then 60x60x1cm granite (It's a lightly slim, but It do one's stuff)

It's working for me.

Comment

• Tommy
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Dec 2006
                                                                                            • 110

1 layer leather ( one side is leather, other side is textile) (for cohesion)
                                                                                            2 layer textile (for vibrancy reduction)
                                                                                            then 60x60x1cm granite (It's a lightly slim, but It do one's stuff)

It's working for me.
                                                                                            Wow, all DIY. Cool! Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"