X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • olddude
    • Jul 2004

Speaker wire for 703

Perhaps I should have tried the B&W website first. What do they recommend? I know there are many excellent wire manufacturers out there and just as many opinions. With that said, I don't need to hear about who makes the best cables. Just the ones that mate best with the 703's. NOT any B&W speakers, but the 703's specifically. I agree that with proper break-in the 703's sound very nice. However, there tends to be a bit (I said just a bit) of brightness to their sound. I'm looking for a cable that will help tame this brightness, yet allow the speakers to operate at their full potential. Just in case you all come back with recommendations for extremely expensive cables, I would like a no-cost option and a real-world option.

My amp is an ARC D-240; preamp is the Musical Design tube line stage. I'm currently using double runs of Kimber 4tc (two runs on top and two runs on the bottom - kind of a poor man's 8tc). I have heard that Kimber 4tc is a very "thin-sounding" cable and that may be accentuating the brightness. I also realize that by today's standards, my amp tends to lean on the grainy side. While we’re on the topic of cables, would better matched interconnects make a more significant difference than the speaker wire?? Oh my, I’ve just opened the preverbal can-of-worms.

I appreciate your input.
  • ekkoville
    • Aug 2004

Dude, hopefully you'll will Lex's attention with this one. He can help narrow down your search and recommend CatCable options for you. There are three diffedrent brands depending on your budget.

Erik

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"