• junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

Possible upgrades

Currently own...

Main: 705
    Sub: 700
    Rears: 600
    Center: CDMCNT

I definately plan on replacing the center with an HTM7.

Any comments in keeping the 705s and and adding another 700 sub? Thereby having a sub for left & right?

Or would I be better off entertaining either a 703/704? And then just moving the 705s to the rear and use the 600's for 7.1?
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Junior,

To help is answer better:
    > What is your room size?
    > What mix of HT vs Music do you listen to?
    > How loud do you listen?

Geoff

Comment

• junior77blue
      • Nov 2004

The current room is quite small, ~13x15. But, I plan on keeping this setup for sometime for when I move into a new house (2-3yrs) with a much bigger room.

75% Theater / 22% Music / 3% SACD

Fairly loud, haven't measured with an SPL during actual listening but I would imagine 85-90dB with spikes just over 100dB.

I'm just trying to build this up, piece by piece and before the 700 series gets replaced.

My thoughts with an additional sub, I could potentially raise the LP crossover point. I am using an NHT crossover module with adjustable HP/LP settings. HP settings, I believe are fixed at either 40/60/80/100Hz. I currently have it set at 60Hz, will need to confirm. Any comments if this is too high/too low? Where's a good point to start for crossover frequency between the 705/ sub 700 vs 703|704/ sub 700?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Junir77Blue,

Any comments in keeping the 705s and adding another 700 sub? Thereby having a sub for left & right?
        In your small room the ASW700 will be capable of more than enough bass... If you are "not getting enough to satisfy you" it is most like a subwoofer placement issue which can be addressed by moving the subwoofer to a new location. Besides a second sub is hard to set up (the processors / receivers generally send them the same signal as the first - making the "left / right" concept not useful and in fact often creating more bass cancellations. I have two subs and found them best (as per the manufacturers recommendations) stacked on top of each other!

Or would I be better off entertaining either a 703/704? And then just moving the 705s to the rear and use the 600's for 7.1?
        Yes - absolutely - the 703 will give you great midrange and the 705s will make excellent rears...

Geoff

Comment

• junior77blue
          • Nov 2004

Any comments on where to LP the crossover of the 700 with the 705? 703?

I would guess 65-75Hz with the 705 and then 45 with the 703.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"