X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiki
    • Sep 2004

Which Sub for 705+HTM7

I really need a new sub for my 700 series. Budget is around AUD$1000, any suggestion? Thanks.
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

are you in the States? try SVS if you can

Comment

• kiki
      • Sep 2004

I know they are really good in HT, are they good in music? Anyone have any experience with SVS or HSU? Thanks

I'm in Australia, I can mail order them still.

Comment

• kiki
        • Sep 2004

Is Mordaunt Short 909W good match with my 705 and htm7 ??? I can get it for AUD$1000 (RRP AUD$1599) :T

Thanks anyone have experience with this sub? or should I go for the Hsu or SVS?

Comment

• mikeyc
          • Sep 2004

Funny, I auditioned these very same speakers yesterday. Anyways, the dealer was suggesting two subs - the Paradigm Seismic 12 or the B&W ASW 700. Both are about the same price but of the two, he said go with the Paradigm, its faster and more musical. Don't be deceived by the small box, its plenty powerful.

Comment

• kiki
            • Sep 2004

mik, wihch 2 sub did you audition? Mordaunt short , svs or hsu ? what do you think about them?

Comment

• nyny
              • Jul 2004

Kiki>>> I have the same set up and auditioned many subs with the set up. My final choices were between Paradigm Seismic 12 and Velodyne SPL1200II. I ultimately went with the Velodyne because it is magnetic shielded (I have a CRT TV) and the ability to turn off the sub's internal crossover.

Personally, I think the Paradigm performs a bit better than the Velodyne, but the Velodyne is no slouch either. If you have a plasma or LCD TV and don't mind using the sub's crossover, then you should give Paradigm a listen. If not, you should try out the Velodyne.

Hope this helps~

Tony
              Tony

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                • Aug 2004

I could confirm that the HSU VTF-3 MKII is a great sub for the price, I use these mainly for HT purposes and it replaced a Velodyne SPL10 Series 2.

Comment

• kiki
                  • Sep 2004

nyny,
                  Paradigm Seismic 12 is not in australia yet, maybe 2 more months. Velodyne SPL1200II and paradigm is very expesive right? do we relly have to spent that much money on sub ?

Comment

• Prozakk
                    • Jul 2004

I own SVS PB12/Ultra2. It replaced 2 Paradigm PW-2200's. It did so with authority! It's downright powerful. Very musical. It has found rattles in the walls of my HT room the PW's never did. Good thing I'm doing a detailed remodel soon...

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                      • May 2004

I just received my PCi 20-39 today, haven't had much time playing with it with music. I watched LOTR, The Return of the King and towards the end where Frodo is about to drop the ring. The ring started "tempting" Frodo with the LFE. The bass just got louder and louder and the last couple of thumps shook all the windows in the house including the ones upstairs!! This thing is no joke for $600. I listened to Maroon 5 with it briefly and I thought it was musical enough, although with different genre of music it might be a different story. The one I got is one of their entry-level products and I just can't imagine what the one Prozakk recommended sound like. You'd probably have to earthquake-proof everything in the house for that one!! LOL. For HT, look no further than SVS.

Comment

• nyny
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by kiki
                        nyny,
                        Paradigm Seismic 12 is not in australia yet, maybe 2 more months. Velodyne SPL1200II and paradigm is very expesive right? do we relly have to spent that much money on sub ?
                        Kiki>> I guess we don't really have to spent that much money on a sub...I paid $900 US for the Velodyne for its performance and more importantly for its small footprint. I live in a NYC apartment and cannot afford to have giant sub sitting in my living room. If space is not a concern, I would definitely check out the SVS subs.
                        Tony

Comment

• kiki
                          • Sep 2004

I did check out svs, the 12 isd/2 $899 is ok price, but the shipping cost around $370 USD for shipping to Australia, it cost total around AUD$1600, I can paradigm pw2200 for that price, should I ? or what do all of you think about Mordaunt Short 909w for AUD$1000? or jesen 10 inch sub box for AUD$400 on sale. The Velodyne is very very expensive here.

Comment

• kiki
                            • Sep 2004

I audition svs 12 isd (cost around AUD$1200 with shipping), Focal JMlab chorus sub (AUD$1100), B&W 600 (AUD$950), M&K 700 (AUD$1100), paradigm pw2100 (AUD$1200) and Mordaunt Short 909w (AUD$950) for ht, svs, paradigm, jmlab and mordaunt short is all good, for music, only paradigm (can felt abit of powerless), jmlab(doesn't go as low) and mordaunt short sound good (cabinet looks cheap), they are fast to match your front and sound very musical.

IMO, for HT. you can almost use any brand and sub, all you need is to find a sub can really slam. For music is harder, you need a sub that have to be precise, fast, depth and so on.

After 3 weeks of audition for around 10 subs cost around AUD$1000 (after discount), I end up with Mordaunt short 909, cos is the cheapest, precise and sound very very good for AUD$950. Picking it up in around 1 week time.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                              • May 2004

kiki, for that much shipping of SVS you might as well go for one that you can find in your dealer. The reason why there's alot of SVS users here in the States is that they're such a great value even including the domestic shipping charges. For almost $400 on shipping alone, that price can be applied to the ones that you liked that you can find in the retail stores. Haven't audition the Paradigm that you speak of, but their subs are very popular and I've heard good reviews on them at the AVS forum.
                              You'll be basically paying around $1300 for a PB12ISD/2 which takes alot of its "bang for the buck" value away.

How can you audition the SVS in Aussie? They don't even have them in the stores to audition in the US. I was kinda doubtful about its performance in music as well, that doubt went out the window after about playing a couple of my favorite songs.
                              Last edited by BlazeMaster; 03 November 2004, 04:32 Wednesday.

Comment

• kiki
                                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by BlazeMaster
                                kiki, How can you audition the SVS in Aussie? They don't even have them in the stores to audition in the US. I was kinda doubtful about its performance in music as well, that doubt went out the window after about playing a couple of my favorite songs.
                                My friend's friend have svs sub, they bought it early this year when they went to US for holiday. Do you really think svs sub is good in music??? Me and my friends think it's not really good for music, not accurate and presice enought for music compare to european sub like REL, B&W, MJ Acoustic. We went to get a REL side by side few days later, and you then can tell the US sub and European sub. or maybe it's just our ears, ^__^.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                  • May 2004

well, kiki, if you aren't really out for the more musical subs then maybe you should consider the popular European subs, like REL/B&W. I had a PCi for about 2 weeks and the only thing against it was I wanted something more powerful like the PB12plus/2, which is why I sent out my PCi couple days ago. I don't listen to much music and when I had it I listen to couple of my favorite rock songs briefly and didn't have a problem with the bass I was getting from the PCi. I didn't compare them with B&W or REL subs side by side, so don't take my word for it.
                                  For HT, which is my main usage, I'm very satisfied with SVS.

Comment

• kiki
                                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by BlazeMaster
                                    well, kiki, if you aren't really out for the more musical subs then maybe you should consider the popular European subs, like REL/B&W. I had a PCi for about 2 weeks and the only thing against it was I wanted something more powerful like the PB12plus/2, which is why I sent out my PCi couple days ago. I don't listen to much music and when I had it I listen to couple of my favorite rock songs briefly and didn't have a problem with the bass I was getting from the PCi. I didn't compare them with B&W or REL subs side by side, so don't take my word for it.
                                    For HT, which is my main usage, I'm very satisfied with SVS.
                                    IMO, if you just want BASS for your HT, SVS is great for music, we think the sound is not presice enought, if you listen music alots and seriously listen to your musics, I think REL, Focal JM lab, B&W, paradigm is the way to go, try their mid, top end subs. I got my self a Mordaunt short 909w because it sound really precise and cheap, minus point would be it doesnt go low, i mean really low (20 under), i think is ok for me.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                      • May 2004

good for you kiki...glad you found something, I know you would have to overpay for a SVS since they're only a bargain for people that lives in the US. Just as long you're happy with the Mordaunt short. Enjoy

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"