X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CADman_ks
    • Jan 2012

DeWalt DW621 issues...

I see that several builders on here have DeWalt DW621 routers.

I've had mine for a long time, and I really love the router. But recently, it's been acting up. It won't start sometimes. I've torn it apart numerous times, and I've verified that the switch is fine, and always makes contact. It's somewhere in the soft-start speed control mechanism.

Mine is a Type I, so it's a first generation.

Have you had any issues with yours like this?

CADman_ks
    CADman_ks
    - Stentorian build...
    - Ochocinco build...
    - BT speaker / sub build...
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I've had one for about 5-6 years, so far it's been totally reliable. It's my favorite single router; if I only had one, it would be the one. Fortunately, we don't have to marry routers... I can have a few more on the side...

Sorry you're having problems with yours. probably need a new speed control module.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• mischmat
      • Feb 2010

Check the brushes are making contact or aren't broken.

Parts breakdown and some other troubleshooting tips can be found here

Comment

• mischmat
        • Feb 2010

If you have a shop with a growler it's a good idea to check the cumatator.

Comment

• CADman_ks
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by mischmat
          Check the brushes are making contact or aren't broken.

Parts breakdown and some other troubleshooting tips can be found here

Yeah, it's not my brushes. I can tell it's not those. They haven't hardly moved from new. There's still a lot there, and I can see them touching the armature.

It's not in the armeture either. I did one of the posters in your link did, and I bypassed the control module. It starts on EVERY pull of the trigger, so I'm pretty sure it's the control module. If it were the armature, it would still be running intermittently, and it always works now. And, judging from the link above, I'm not the only one that has this problem. It appears to be pretty common. Maybe it's more common on Type I's than others. I don't know.

But, as my luck seems to go, that part is currently NOT available. I'll have to see if that's something I can get online.

Here's the thing, though. I can get it fixed GUARANTEED from DeWalt for $139, no matter what's wrong with it. Module is $70. If I buy a module and that doesn't fix it, I might as well buy a new one at that point, since there only about $200.

I have it hardwired right now, and it's working. My other option is to just use it this way until it blows, and then get a new one. Really the only thing that I'm losing is soft start, and that's not a total deal breaker at this point. I never use the speed function anyway, because I don't turn bits that big, so it's game on all the time...

CADman_ks
          CADman_ks
          - Stentorian build...
          - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• CADman_ks
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by mischmat
            If you have a shop with a growler it's a good idea to check the cumatator.
            I have never heard of a growler. I learned something today! I guess something good did come of this darn router after all!!!

CADman_ks
            CADman_ks
            - Stentorian build...
            - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• CADman_ks
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by JonMarsh
              I've had one for about 5-6 years, so far it's been totally reliable. It's my favorite single router...
              I have two routers, and this thing is by far and away my favorite. The precision adjusting, the collet, the dust colleciton, yada, yada... There's only one thing that I don't like about this router, and it's something that I don't like ONLY when I need it the other way. I do NOT like the flat sides on there, WHEN you're trying to route against the circle edge. Sometimes, it's better / easier, to use the circle edge than the fixed edge, but you have to be careful that it doesn't get into that flat area. BUT, with that being said, I like the flat part too, and use it quite often as well. I think a round based router is possible a little more versatile. Maybe not. I suppose it's a preference.

Mine has been flawless until just recently when it started acting up. I guess that it isn't all bad. This is the first DeWalt tool that I've had actually let me down, and I bleed black and yellow.

Still frustrating, though when you pull that trigger, and nothing happens. ARGGHGHGH... :M :M :M

CADman_ks
              CADman_ks
              - Stentorian build...
              - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• 5th element
                Supreme Being Moderator
                • Sep 2009

I've had trouble like that with the 615 and it was the speed controller. It uses a magnetic puck attached to the spindle of the motor to regulate the speed and this had become loose. In the 615 the thing that had come loose was a little black disc about 3-5mm thick that was pushed on the end of the motor shaft, located right at the top of the router itself. A hefty black moulded plastic piece sat around it, no doubt the sensory stuff etc is inside that. Maybe you've got a similar problem?

The DW621 seems quite similar.

From this website

The magnetic puck is number 19 and the plastic moulding is number 4.

I will add in here that the Dewalt routers with speed controllers are not designed to be used without them, the shaft will spin faster then it should even on the fastest setting, at least this is what it did with the DW615 and this eats at the bearings, things get a lot hotter inside and it isn't particularly kind on the router bits either.

Does the 621 run faster with the speed controller removed compared to how fast it went on the max setting with the controller enabled?
                What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• CADman_ks
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by 5th element
                  I've had trouble like that with the 615 and it was the speed controller. It uses a magnetic puck attached to the spindle of the motor to regulate the speed and this had become loose. In the 615 the thing that had come loose was a little black disc about 3-5mm thick that was pushed on the end of the motor shaft, located right at the top of the router itself. A hefty black moulded plastic piece sat around it, no doubt the sensory stuff etc is inside that. Maybe you've got a similar problem?

The DW621 seems quite similar.

From this website

The magnetic puck is number 19 and the plastic moulding is number 4.

I will add in here that the Dewalt routers with speed controllers are not designed to be used without them, the shaft will spin faster then it should even on the fastest setting, at least this is what it did with the DW615 and this eats at the bearings, things get a lot hotter inside and it isn't particularly kind on the router bits either.

Does the 621 run faster with the speed controller removed compared to how fast it went on the max setting with the controller enabled?
                  Yeah, I have that puck off of there, and put it back on, and that doesn't make a difference.

Yes, the speed is higher without the controller, but I don't how much. It's hard to tell when the thing is wound up that tight, and when it soft starts, you can't really get a feel for how fast it goes when it's full on. Now, it just goes ball-out all the time.

The other thing about this router is that it must have some sort of built in head room. Because it keeps the speed at the same speed no matter what the load. From that, I deduce that it is NOT spinning full RPM's even in speed 7, so that they have room to get to the max when you're really beatin' on it.

I haven't used mine enough at this point like this to know if the bearings get hotter. It sounds like I should probably do the right thing, and get that controller from eBay or something, before I blow the thing up, since I still do like it...

CADman_ks
                  CADman_ks
                  - Stentorian build...
                  - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• mischmat
                    • Feb 2010

The repair company i used to work for also ordered parts from http://www.lancebissett.ca/ don't know where bouts you are but if ereplacementparts doesn't have it other suppliers do. There was one other supplier that I'll see if I can remember, they had lots of odd stock items.

Comment

• CADman_ks
                      • Jan 2012

It appears that the control module is pretty much universally out of stock, everywhere.

I haven't tried my local (30 miles away) DeWalt repair center yet, but there aren't any online...

CADman_ks
                      CADman_ks
                      - Stentorian build...
                      - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• Paul K.
                        • Jul 2008

I used a 621 for quite a few years; however, the speed controller went out and I had it repaired by DeWalt. A couple of years after, something came loose inside the housing and was bouncing around. I had DeWalt repair that. And, then, a year or so later, the speed controller went bad again (and it seemed to run at full tilt). So what did I do, you ask? I bought another 621 because I simply love all aspects of this router, including the double-flat base. I came to the conclusion my first one was an aberration. Of course, only time will tell the whole story and my fingers are permanently crossed!
                        Paul

Comment

• CADman_ks
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Paul K.
                          So what did I do, you ask? I bought another 621 because I simply love all aspects of this router, including the double-flat base.
                          I know!! I hear ya! I love this thing!, and I think even if I fix it, and it goes south again, I'll get another one. I do really like it...

CADman_ks
                          CADman_ks
                          - Stentorian build...
                          - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• Hank
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jul 2002

What Jon said. I've had mine a few years and it's my favorite among my others: monster Freud mounted in my router table/cabinet, Black and Decker and trim router.
                            If you don't have many hours on it, take a chance and replace the module. If you have lots of hours/wear on it, buy a new one. There aren't many routers out there with good dust extraction, and that feature is mandatory when working with MDF, IMHO.

Comment

• CADman_ks
                              • Jan 2012

I ordered a control module today to fix my router. Hopefully, that's not the only thing that's wrong with it, but from the research that I've done, and the issues that others have had, it sure appears to be the problem...

CADman_ks
                              CADman_ks
                              - Stentorian build...
                              - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by CADman_ks
                                I ordered a control module today to fix my router. Hopefully, that's not the only thing that's wrong with it, but from the research that I've done, and the issues that others have had, it sure appears to be the problem...

CADman_ks
                                Well, I'm happy to report that the new module has indeed fixed my router. I got around to installing it last nite.

Here's a pic in case you've been curious about what one looks like:

CADman_ks
                                CADman_ks
                                - Stentorian build...
                                - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• 5th element
                                  Supreme Being Moderator
                                  • Sep 2009

I'm glad it solved your problems.
                                  What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by 5th element
                                    I'm glad it solved your problems.
                                    I was a little bit concerned though, because I read on some other forums that others have had stator issues with this same router. I was pretty sure that my stator was fine, and I somewhat verified that by removing this module and running it "hardwired". It always worked under those circumstances...

CADman_ks
                                    CADman_ks
                                    - Stentorian build...
                                    - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• 5th element
                                      Supreme Being Moderator
                                      • Sep 2009

I find it hard to understand how one could have a problem with something that basically amounts to lots of coils of wire, without it being a quality control issue (ie should be quite rare). The speed controller makes a lot more sense.

One thing to bare in mind perhaps though, is that sometimes motors can work when driven directly from the mains, but put a speed controller in the way and they do stop working. Not a faulty speed controller, a faulty motor, yet given the full jolt from the mains and it's enough of a kick to make it work.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"