• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

Help me pick a router: Black & Decker RP250 vs. DeWalt DW616

Hi all!

I'm sick of my Ryobi router. It's depth accuracy is off by at least 2 mm - when you set it it's fine, but the moment you lock the depth, it invariably moves up or down. I have to use my Vernier to double check depth, and make corrections all the time (something similar happens with my Ryobi circular saw, BTW).

So I'm going to buy a new router. I went to home depot, and they recommended a Black & Decker RP250 (http://www.blackanddecker.com/produc...view=2#details) or a DeWalt DW 616 (http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=5565)

Now, obviously, I know I should get the DeWalt. But it costs $200. The Black and Decker is $100.

I don't build that many speakers a year - perhaps 2 or 3 sets, at most, so I know I won't stress the motor at all. And I know I want depth accuracy. I believe the DeWalt is a bit more accurate, but I don't know how much.

The Black and Decker also has one very important thing I like - the vaccum cleaner adapter. I know I want this. I asked if they had the DeWalt equivalent - they don't.

My point is - is there any reason to pay twice the cost for the Black and Decker? At this point, I'm very, very close to getting it.

There's also a Makita router over there, but it's $140 or so, it has a weaker motor than the B&D, and I really don't see any reason to pick it over either the B&D or the DeWalt...
    Javier Huerta
  • chrismercurio
    • May 2007

Spring for the Festool. I have the smallest one (OF 1010 EQ Router) and like it very much. I don't have a big budget for tools, but look at it this way, if you add up the price of your Ryobi and the nicer DeWalt you are probably within spitting distance of the Festool. Oh, and it's xmas.

Well, I checked and at $370 it's still more than the other 2 put together. A friend who has a full suite of DeWalt tools pays about $100 every time there is an issue which is regularly.

Regards,

Chris

Comment

• cygor98
      • Jul 2008

The dewalt is more accurate because its not a plunge router. you need to get the plunge base separately.

My recommendation: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Heavy-Du...ombo/index.htm

I didnt see it on HD's web site for pricing but it was the best value, since it came with both bases. the dust collection isnt integrated like the B&D but its usable.

Comment

• wmilas
        • Dec 2006

I was chuckling to myself wondering if I should mention the Festool (its the king of accuracy). I decided to not mention it but then Chris mentioned it.

Btw I own the Rigid combo, The festool 1010, festool 1400, and festool 2200. I've never used the dewalt. I'd stall the hell away from the B&D.

The Rigid is a fine tool. It was my first router. Its a nice plunge base, but the collet tightening is a pita and the dust removal leaves much to be desired.

The Festool are a whole 'nother league. They are big boy tools. Don't go there unless you are not afraid to cross over to the darkside...

Comment

• chrismercurio
          • May 2007

Yeah. You're basically f'd after that and everything else doesn't feel right anymore. Kinda like hearing some REALLY good hifi for the 1st time. I can think of a few other firsts but this is a family forum.

Comment

• wmilas
            • Dec 2006

Ive got a stack of green systainers that, unfortunately, keeps growing. Its a sickness...

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

DW 621 at Amazon

Get a DeWalt DW621. You'll never regret it, and if you get anything else, then try one, you'll regret what ever you got unless it's a lot more expensive. If I had only one router, this would be the one. (I have over half a dozen- setup for specific jobs).

In this instance, I have to be as adamant as ET would be- failure is not an option.
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Licinius
                • Sep 2006

Absolutely agree with the 621, it is an absolute joy to use.... (so much so that I always forgive it for the jacked up printing on the fine adjustment screw, and the tippy base shape). I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have three routers, and this is the one <3 the most.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2006

Hi!

I wish I could get that DeWalt, or the Festool. Unfortunately, I'm limited to Ryobi, Makita, B&D and the DW616. At least at sensible prices...

If the DW616 isn't a plunge router, then I suppose I'll have to get the B&D and learn to use it properly - then get a really good one.
                  Javier Huerta

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Javier,

As usual people aren't paying attention to where you live (the tools you have access to) or your budget...

The Black & Decker probably won't be anymore accurate than your existing Ryobi.

FWIW, Makita makes good quality tools.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• fjhuerta
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2006

Thanks Thomas. I think I'll try to buy the most expensive tool I can (meaning - the Makita or the DeWalt)!
                      Javier Huerta

Comment

• dumaresq
                        • Mar 2008

Ok I have to ask, The festool of 2200 is about 800$ but the dewalt 621 is only about 250$. Can someone tell me what makes the festool worth the extra 550$?

I have a robi, and I know it isn't great, but it works (though maybe some of the issues I had with it that I thought were my sloppiness might actually just be because it is cheap).

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

I've got 2 DW621's and they are fantastic, so if you can go that route it's what I would do. The Festool stuff is great but it is pricey. And for what most of us here are going to do with it I doubt there is much benefit.

As to the OP if all you can get are the ones you mentioned then the DW616 would be pretty good. I've got no experience with Makita routers though.

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dumaresq
                            Ok I have to ask, The festool of 2200 is about 800$ but the dewalt 621 is only about 250$. Can someone tell me what makes the festool worth the extra 550$?
                            1) they are exceptionally designed, engineered and extremely well made
                            2) price fixing (oh wait that's 'illegal'), so we'll call it 'price controlled'....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chrismercurio
                              • May 2007

I didn't know, and of course didn't think to check if Festool was distributed in Mexico.

Companies are allowed by law to have Minimum Advertised Prices.

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                                • May 2004

I, too, am in the market for another router - I have a DW625 which I bought 10 years or so ago when I thought bigger was always better. It's fine, if a bit unwieldy, but it has no dust collection and that is now absolutely necessary.

You might consider this:

Milwaukee 6515-24

Seems to be well regarded and it's quite inexpensive. The thing I do not know is if the Jasper Jig attaches to it.

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                                  • May 2004

Jon, I've read that the dust port on the DW621 is a non-standard size. Is this your experience? That's the only complaint I've read about it.

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                                    • May 2004

Javier, you might consider a reconditioned DW621 (I may go that route). They seem to go for around $180 or so. I don't know if they are available to you, however.

Comment

• Licinius
                                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Paul Ebert
                                      Jon, I've read that the dust port on the DW621 is a non-standard size. Is this your experience? That's the only complaint I've read about it.
                                      Whether it is "standard" or not, I'm not sure, but to use with my 2.5" shop vac, I found an reducer at HD or Lowes for next to nothing that did the trick. I believe it might be 1.25" - but I'm not entirely sure...

Comment

• Silversmoky
                                        • Nov 2007

Milwaukee 6515-24

Seems to be well regarded and it's quite inexpensive. The thing I do not know is if the Jasper Jig attaches to it.
                                        Hi Paul. I have a couple of the Milwaukee's you are looking at. Great routers and the Jasper Jig fits on them very nicely.

Comment

• daniel-a
                                          • Dec 2009

Many years ago, my mother's in law gave me a ryobe. Unacceptable router.
                                          I move up to b&D. Was better but...
                                          I finally got a Dewalt. Perfect!

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                                            • May 2004

Originally posted by Silversmoky
                                            Hi Paul. I have a couple of the Milwaukee's you are looking at. Great routers and the Jasper Jig fits on them very nicely.
                                            Awesome! How well does the dust collection work?

Comment

• wmilas
                                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by dumaresq

I have a robi, and I know it isn't great, but it works (though maybe some of the issues I had with it that I thought were my sloppiness might actually just be because it is cheap).
                                              Well the 2200 is really overkill unless you need maximum power on a 1/2" bit. I use my 1400 way more than the 2200. Because of the design the 2200 has much more usable power than any other router I've tried, and I've tried them all. The thing is plain dangerous.

So anyways its not fair to compare the dewalt to the 2200 as the power output is no where near the same. You'd want to compare it to the 1400.

Why is the 1400 better? You have to remember that festools are part of a giant system. All the little addons all the "stuff" that goes with the system makes doing tasks easier and easier. If you were to JUST buy a 1400 compared to a dewalt you would notice that teh 1400

* looks wierd
                                              * Is smoother on startup, and smoother to use when cutting. smooth is hard to describe
                                              * Its dust extraction is superior
                                              * Things like a ratcheting spindle make collet adjusting really really nice.
                                              * A gazillion different bases.

Just little odds and ends that make it a joy to use, although admittedly teh dewalt is no slouch.

Add to it all the other stuff that comes with the system (rail latches, guides, trammels, ect ect) and it takes it to another level. For instance cutting a perfectly square rectangle inset of any size takes me literally seconds. I don't have to rebuild a jig to do it. The only tedious part is hand chiseling the square corners.. but thats only a minute.

Like all other festool stuff, if you have a question, go play with some. If you woodwork enough the moment you get to use them the lights go on and you get it. At that point you become spoiled and your pocketbook becomes very thin very fast

Comment

• Silversmoky
                                                • Nov 2007

Awesome! How well does the dust collection work?
                                                I can't really comment on the dust collection abilities because I have never used it! I always work outside so dust collection is a not an issue for me. Maybe someone else has some experience on this.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2002

Javier, when looking at 1/2" router features, don't forget 'soft start' and variable speed. Variable (slow) speed is necessary to keep from burning the wood with a big bit, say a large-radius round-over. As well, big bits can explode if you spin them too fast and you don't really want to be in the same room if that happens. Soft start means the router won't kick when you turn it on with a big, heavy bit -- also good for safety. Dust collection is a plus but not necessary for safety.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jun 2006

Thanks Dennis!

I'm still looking for a good router with dust collection - I can't find any! I found a Makita plunge router which looks great, and has a good price, but I can't find the vaccum port anywhere.

It's either the B&D or the Makita at this point.
                                                    Javier Huerta

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Well you're in a quandary the units with good dust collection are either unavailable to you, or they're out of your price range.

In case you stumble upon a DeWalt 618 don't buy one the dust collection looks good but is terrrible

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2002

The Dewalt 621 is spendy but it has all the good stuff. Hey, it's only the price of a couple of good woofers and it will last long enough that you can give it to your kids when you're too old to build speakers anymore.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • May 2007

I picked a really nice DW621 on ebay for $100.00. Very happy with it and the dust collection is very nice too. So, if you can purchase on ebay, might have a look there for one.
                                                          John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                                                            • May 2004

That's a good deal you got there! The last one went for $154 or so.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • May 2007

Yeah, I was pretty lucky with that. It came with a free Frued template kit and some small roundover bits too. Not that I know what to do with the template kit. I not much much into wood working and inexperienced, but really like the DW621 router. It's really easy to use too.
                                                              John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Jun 2006

I took a look at the Makita today. Extremely nice router, and within my price range. Unfortunately, the dealer told me the distributor didn't have the dust collecting accesory, so I'm out of luck.

I just bought the Black and Decker and will be on the lookout for a good plunge router later on. I'll probably go to the States in two months, so perhaps I'll just buy it there

Thanks all for your help!
                                                                Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Jun 2006

The Black and Decker RP250 may be going back to Home Depot tomorrow

It's not that it already broke down. It looks pretty solidly made. And I played with the plunge feature and it's far more precise than the Ryobi. It looks a lot better than it, actually.

The problem is...

The 7 3/4" Jasper Jig won't fit it!!!!

I have the bigger one and it "sorta" fits. Two screws can be used. It stays solidly bolted on, so I guess it would work.

I'm not completely sure as to what to do at this point, since the Makita model (MRP100) doesn't show up as compatible with the Jasper Jigs, either. The DeWalt D616 shows up, though (but it's not a plunge router).

Argh... what to do. I may just keep the B&D and use it with the bigger Jasper Jig... I dunno.
                                                                  Javier Huerta

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2005

Yeah, that's a problem. Jigs are easy to make, but the Jasper is so convenient.

I would probably take the Jasper to the store, see if it lines up with the Makita. If it doesn't, your problem is solved. If it does, you might have to flip a coin.
                                                                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Hank
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2002

Get a DeWalt DW621. You'll never regret it, and if you get anything else, then try one, you'll regret what ever you got unless it's a lot more expensive. If I had only one router, this would be the one.
                                                                      Jon is correct - order this one. You need dust extraction when working with MDF - believe us. And, you don't need to spend Festool bucks to get good performance.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Jun 2006

I just got my Makita... this thing makes the B&D look like a Fisher-Price toy. It's heavy and looks very, very beefy. I love it!

I haven't found much info about it online (it's the MRP100) but it has everything I need, except for dust collection - but apparently I'll be able to buy it in a couple of weeks. The depth control looks strange to me, but hopefully it's precise enough.

The Jasper Jigs both fit.

Thank you all for your help! I'm sure I'll be happier with this one in the long run.
                                                                        Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Jun 2006
                                                                          • 1140

I just noticed something.

The jasper jig does fit the Black and Decker. And the Makita.

The pic doesn't do justice to the Makita, tough. It's like twice the weight, the same size, and it has the same depth control adjustment as the B&D - but it has a 1/2" collet, and it came with a very nice looking bit.

The B&D is lighter, smaller, it seems to be very precise on depth cuts, and it has the vaccum attachment.

And a silly idea came to my mind - maybe I should just keep both of them? The B&D for small, quick, clean cuts (because of the vaccum attachment) and the Makita for bigger jobs. I'm warming up to the idea - after all, both seem like pretty good tools for slightly different uses.
                                                                          Attached Files
                                                                          Javier Huerta

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 10934

It's very handy/convenient to have multiple routers

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Jun 2006
                                                                              • 1140

#39
                                                                              Thanks Thomas, I thought it was overkill. I guess I'll keep them both. A man can never have enough tools, after all.
                                                                              Javier Huerta

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Nov 2005
                                                                                • 5202

#40
                                                                                You've caught Jon's sickness!

I just have one router, but I'm constantly wishing I had two or three. Typically, when my router is mounted in the router table, I want to do circles with a jasper jig or edge routing on a piece too big for the table and vice versa. Very annoying! And, every time I hear a voice in the back of my head saying, 'you know JonMarsh has 3+ routers because of this very situation.'

But, my sensibility (cheapness) wins outs. My projects take me months. What is another 5 minutes here and there? I give myself about 1 more project before that big DeWalt is mine and my forever Hitachi stays mounted inside the table. Of course, then I would need the small Bosch Colt too....
                                                                                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                                                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                                                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jun 2006
                                                                                  • 1140

#41
                                                                                  Yeah, I went back to the store a couple of hours ago and saw this cute little Makita, which would be awesome for edge work, and it's light, and small, and...

Heh.
                                                                                  Javier Huerta

Comment

• Steidl Guitars
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2009
                                                                                    • 48

#42
                                                                                    Must be their "laminate trimmer," which make terrific small routers. I think I own 5, which is embarrassing!

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2004
                                                                                      • 1531

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by fjhuerta

The pic doesn't do justice to the Makita, tough. It's like twice the weight, the same size, and it has the same depth control adjustment as the B&D - but it has a 1/2" collet, and it came with a very nice looking bit.

The B&D is lighter, smaller, it seems to be very precise on depth cuts, and it has the vaccum attachment.

And a silly idea came to my mind - maybe I should just keep both of them? The B&D for small, quick, clean cuts (because of the vaccum attachment) and the Makita for bigger jobs. I'm warming up to the idea - after all, both seem like pretty good tools for slightly different uses.
                                                                                      Down this path lies the Dark side....

This is how you can wind up with two Hitachi M12V, a DeWalt DW621, a Porter Cable 893, a Bosch router in a Freud table with a Wookpeck lift, two Bosch Colt routers, a Ryobi RE180PL plunge router, and a Porter Cable and Ryobi laminate trim router. All dedicated to special plates, tools, and fixtures, in the name of efficiency and expediency.

Welcome to the Dark side...
                                                                                      DFAL
                                                                                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 10934

#44
                                                                                        Javier,

We don't consider anyone a serious woodworker unless they have at least 3 routers... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• NyxOne
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2008
                                                                                          • 184

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by fjhuerta

I don't how you've been able to fit the RP250 on the JIG but it's not working for me... just thought I'd let you know.

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"