X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acacia987
    • Apr 2009

quick router speed question

since a 3/4" round over bit has a bit diameter greater then an inch, does everyone use a slower speed on the router? Or maybe not cause MDF is not a hard wood. I am looking to buy a router and i am just trying to figure out if i really need to get a variable speed one.
  • jquin
    • Dec 2006

I've used massive round over bits 1.25" from memory and run it at full speed in MDF. As long as you take it in passes and are sensible I can't see an issue.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Yeah, I slow it down a little. The high speed whirl is just scary. I adjust it till it sounds "right". Not sure it is possible to tell you the exact setting to use. You just need to experiment on some scrap to see what works best - though with MDF burning is less of a worry.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Regardless of the bit being used it's a good idea to have a variable speed router.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bill Schneider
          • Sep 2007

Here's information about maximum speeds vs. router bit diameter found in a quick Google search...

Woodworking How-To's, Tool Reviews, Articles and Plans

I agree that variable speeds are useful even if you don't use large bits.
          My audio projects:
          http://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• BOBinGA
            • Mar 2009

This may be obvious, but get a router with a half inch chuck. 3/4" roundover bits are all half inch.

-Bob
            -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
            My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
            The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• Mazeroth
              • Nov 2004

I have two variable speed routers and I'm constantly changing the speed on them until cutting feels "right". As said above, when using a large diameter roundover you'll want to make at least two passes.

Comment

• acacia987
                • Apr 2009

thanks for all the good info. it looks like i should consider a variable speed router instead of a fixed.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by acacia987
                  thanks for all the good info. it looks like i should consider a variable speed router instead of a fixed.
                  VERY much so. The beefier and torquier, and better balanced, the better- but you can do OK even with a moderate price Ryobi. I have two Hitachi 3-1/2 HP M12V's that I love(there's a newer version available, M12V2), but I also have a 2 HP Ryobi with 1/2" collet and soft start, an RE180PL1 plunge router for less demanding tasks that works fine- but just checking online it doesn't seem available anymore.

But those are the features I'd look for. I use a DeWalt 621 dedicated to a jasper jig, and that's quite popular with folks on this forum, too.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• chasw98
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Have you ever heard the term 'feeds and speeds'? In CNC programming there are 4 variables to look for and they determine how much/fast you can go. 01) The material you are cutting, 02) The cutter you are using to cut, 03) The rotational speed of the cutter, and 04) How much material you are taking off at once. You can cut very quickly with a high speed cutter only taking .001" at a pass, but that will take you a year to take off an inch. So you have to balance material and cutters with "speeds and feeds". Now in CNC programming where you are programming for efficiency and trying to make a given part in the shortest amount of time without breaking bits is much different than us making a hole at home, but you get the idea. It is all a trade off and a balance to be achieved. Don't forget ear protection and safety glasses.

Comment

• lexiphanic
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by chasw98
                      Don't forget ear protection and safety glasses.
                      Some sort of breathing protection too. MDF is bad stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"