X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick77
    • Apr 2006

RLP15 project

Well Ive done it, inspired by all the posts decided to give DIY a try. Built a 22"x22"x26 sealed cabinet and installed a Sound Splinter RLP15 powered by a EP2500. Just hooked it up and like I have read several times it seems like very little bass is coming out. I have the EP2500 turned up all the way and it seems very light. I think like others I am not used to such clean bass and seems maybe a little break in is necessary. Looking forward to tomorrow to try a little more volume cause its only been 5 or 6 hrs since the top was glued on. Hehe

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 325.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	868036

Name:	Picture 323.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	868037

Name:	Picture 327.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	868038
    Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 19:50 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
  • nick77
    • Apr 2006

Several more shots.

Name:	Picture 329.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	845443

Name:	Picture 330.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	845444

Name:	Picture 332.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	845445
    Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 19:51 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Nice... did you just stuff the insulation in there, or use spray adhesive?
      Danish

Comment

• nick77
        • Apr 2006

I used some staples that are normally used for romex to secure the insulation. Hey Danish thanks for all your help!

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by nick77
          I used some staples that are normally used for romex to secure the insulation. Hey Danish thanks for all your help!
          No problem. You beat me to completion by a longshot. Dang painting...
          Danish

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Looks like you did a great job.

You're bass shouldn't be "light", it should be very impressive. Check your wiring. The first time I hooked mine up, it also seemed like something wasn't right. I'm not sure what I did to fix it, but I checked all my wiring, cut new ends on the driver side, and was blown away by the performance.

Are you getting the lights on your amp to flicker? You may need to turn up your receiver channel volume. If the lights on your amp isn't flickering during heavy bass like War of the Worlds, you got problems with something other than your sub. The lights might not flicker with music, so use one of the monster movies.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
              Check your wiring. The first time I hooked mine up, it also seemed like something wasn't right.
              I agree...it could be possible that you are only running off of one VC :huh:

Send some pics on how you hooked it up, that might help.
              Danish

Comment

• nick77
                • Apr 2006

The signal lights are flickering when I turn up the volume during music. I think I need to turn up the receiver volume to the amp. Now where is that manual? I hooked up the driver in series with the positive lead to one coil and the neg to the other coil neg and the neg from the first coil to the positive on the other. Shew I think I said that right.

Name:	sub.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	845447
                Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 19:52 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

BTW, how did you hook up the receiver to the EP2500?

A custom cable - RCA to 1/4" or RCA to XLR? RCA to 1/4" adaptor, etc...
                  Danish

Comment

• nick77
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by dyazdani
                    BTW, how did you hook up the receiver to the EP2500?

A custom cable - RCA to 1/4" or RCA to XLR? RCA to 1/4" adaptor, etc...
                    I just got a mono to mono 1/4" adapter to attach to my rca sub cable off HK635.
                    I set the mode switches on the EP2500 to 2-3-8 and 9 to on and the rest to off. Is that correct?

Comment

• dyazdani
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Oct 2005

Like this?

Image not available
                      Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 19:53 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link
                      Danish

Comment

• nick77
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by dyazdani
                        Like this?

Image not available
                        ​

Yes that's the one, Is XLR better?
                        Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 19:54 Sunday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

It's takes the suspension a while to loosen up.

Looks like there's a bit too much damping material.

The way the braces are made you've created a tunnel. If possible it would be better if there was a way to cut additional openings in the braces, or enlarge the sections of the circles toward the corners of the box

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dyazdani
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Oct 2005

I don't think the XLR would be a significant upgrade in this case, you could try both ways and see what you think.

I had trouble when I tried to use one of those adaptors, same problem - sound was very quiet. I built a custom cable to go from RCA to 1/4" and it fixed it.

Not sure what the exact issue was, faulty adaptor maybe???
                            Danish

Comment

• nick77
                              • Apr 2006

I wasn't at all happy with RS terminal plate. Could this be an issue?

Name:	pRS1C-2265153t98.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	845448
                              Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 19:54 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

I've used those and they're fine.

Also you may have a level matching problem between your sub out and the EP2500. How high is the sub output level setting?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• nick77
                                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW

Also you may have a level matching problem between your sub out and the EP2500. How high is the sub output level setting?
                                  Ran the on board eq and reset all speakers with sub and wola! We have bass, it was an inbalance to amp from reciever as I had hoped. The bass is so tight and accurate I have never heard anything like it. It doesnt seem like I have the impact I am looking for in HT yet but I am sure with some tweeking it will come to life.Thanks to all who helped me out. Steve,Danish and Thomas you guys are awesome!

Comment

• ---k---
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2005

Play with your room placement. Run some sweeps to see where you get the best response, or at least the response you like best.

You're sub won't have a ton of low end rumble without room gain. Putting it into a corner may give you that. Mine isn't in a corner, so I get a nice uniform response, but no room gain down low, so no rumble. Therefore, I got three filters on my BFD right now, +6 @ 20hz, +2 at like 23 and + 2 at like 28. It adds most of the rumble I desire, and doesn't take away from music. One of these days, I'm going to play with a DEQ or BASSIS and see the differance. But, I'm happy for now.
                                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• nick77
                                      • Apr 2006

Thanks Ryan, now I can play around indoors instead of breathing mdf dust in the garage. Hehe

Comment

• nick77
                                        • Apr 2006

The woofer output level is now at +2 what should it be?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

The woofer output level is now at +2 what should it be?
                                          You use the setting needed to get the job done.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dyazdani
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Oct 2005

Glad you got it working!

I usually set the gain on my sub amps at about 1/2 - 3/4 position and vary the processor level accordingly. I don't know if that is the right procedure, I just try to find something that's a happy medium (range-wise) for both pieces in question.

I usually end up with the processor level right around the midpoint, +/- a few dB.
                                            Danish

Comment

• steve nn
                                              • Jan 2006

22"x22"x26 sealed cabinet and installed a Sound Splinter RLP15 powered by a EP2500.
                                              Wow! Nice work and that's a good sized sealed! I know it's kind of a pain in the rump, but you might want to try pulling half of your fill out and then take it from there. It's very possible in that size enclosure there is more to be had with backing it off some? Very nice though. :T

Comment

• nick77
                                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by steve nn
                                                Wow! Nice work and that's a good sized sealed! I know it's kind of a pain in the rump, but you might want to try pulling half of your fill out and then take it from there. It's very possible in that size enclosure there is more to be had with backing it off some? Very nice though. :T
                                                Steve your right about the the pain in the rump part, what am I losing or not gaining with the amount of fill? The box came out so dang big I guess I was trying to take up some volume. I think maybe it also looks worse than it is??

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

The box came out so dang big I guess I was trying to take up some volume.
                                                  It doesn't work that way unless the damping is packed to the point of being a solid object.

The greater the amount of damping the larger the box appears to the driver. Less damping makes the box look smaller.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• nick77
                                                    • Apr 2006

Steve and Thomas thanks for the insight, I destuffed the snasauge and I have foundation rumbleing bass at lower volume on the amp. I removed close to half of the insulation and as Thomas reccomended I took a little more wood out of the brace. I am at about 1 oclock on the ep2500 compared to about 3/4 before. The bass also seems cleaner. Thanks again! 8)

Comment

• steve nn
                                                      • Jan 2006

Steve and Thomas thanks for the insight, I destuffed the snasauge and I have foundation rumbleing bass at lower volume on the amp.
                                                      That is such good news, I really felt bad about your results. I bet you could pull 3/4s of it out, (in that size enclosure) along with Thomas's brace suggestion and you'll wind up with a real powerhouse of a sub. From the sounds of it, maybe your already there. Is that your sub I hear over here in Oregon? :blink:

Comment

• Red Bastard
                                                        • Mar 2006

The greater the amount of damping the larger the box appears to the driver. Less damping makes the box look smaller.
                                                        ?? This confuses me a bit (seems like a tesseract type of concept), but I'll accept it's true and ask then,
                                                        If you build a larger box ie the 22x22x26 as above then you would need less stuffing than if you built a 16x16x16 box, since the 22" box already is a good size? Is this logical??
                                                        Chris

Comment

• HeatMiser
                                                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Red Bastard
                                                          ?? This confuses me a bit (seems like a tesseract type of concept), but I'll accept it's true and ask then,
                                                          If you build a larger box ie the 22x22x26 as above then you would need less stuffing than if you built a 16x16x16 box, since the 22" box already is a good size? Is this logical??
                                                          Chris
                                                          I don't know about those specific dimensions, but that's the basic idea. I've heard "20%" used as a rule of thumb for how much apparent volume you can get back with generous stuffing (the kind of volume that comes in liters and square inches, not the kind that comes in decibels ).

I agree the idea is not very intuitive; it might be helpful to know that it has to do with the fibers of stuffing absorbing heat energy as the air inside the enclosure is compressed. So the air tends toward a more constant temperature, behaving as if it were not being compressed as much as it really is - just like what would happen in a larger cabinet.

That's a pretty crude explanation and I hope the resident engineers will forgive me. I can't pretend to know anything about gas physics, but it sets my mind at ease to know there's something in there that makes a bit of sense.
                                                          Paul G

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2000

If you build a larger box ie the 22x22x26 as above then you would need less stuffing than if you built a 16x16x16 box, since the 22" box already is a good size?
                                                            http://web.archive.org/web/200402032...dio/fiber.html

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• nick77
                                                              • Apr 2006

Well I watched my first movie last night. It was an action movie called state of the union and I am very pleased with LFE results. I had to turn down the bass to pacifiy the wife and dog. Cant wait to see what this thing can really do, havent had the house to myself much yet.

Comment

• nick77
                                                                • Apr 2006

Well this thing is so big I decided to make it pull double duty as an end table. Not finished yet just wanted to snap a shot. The wife likes it so I am half way there. Not as elegant as I would like but better than mdf and the real joy comes when you fire it up. 8)

Name:	Picture 334.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	845475
                                                                Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 19:54 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Jan 2006

Not a bad idea at all.

Comment

• derekbannatyne
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Nice!

Comment

• Bent
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2003

That looks pretty good to me.

Comment

• steve nn
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2006

AH! The old bass in a pine box trick Nice job.

Comment

• nick77
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Apr 2006

AH! The old bass in a pine box trick Nice job.
                                                                          Ya most of the materials were in the garage and made for a inexpensive fix. I don't think anyone said the project would be cheap. hehe

Name:	Picture 335.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	845476
                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 19:55 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• HMenke
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Feb 2006
                                                                            • 226

Wow, and you would never even know it's a subwoofer...er, well, maybe you would!

Comment

• FlashJim
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Apr 2006
                                                                              • 145

#39
                                                                              I think it goes well with the room decor.

Ok, how do I say that more "manly"?
                                                                              Jim

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 16073

#40
                                                                                How about "It would look better with a beer on it"

Comment

• FlashJim
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Apr 2006
                                                                                  • 145

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Dougie085
                                                                                  Bingo!
                                                                                  Jim

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 16073

#42
                                                                                    or how about "if only it had a built in coaster so the wife will shut up"

Comment

• Red Bastard
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2006
                                                                                      • 9

#43
                                                                                      I like the look of that and would love to leave the driver exposed, but you obviously don't have a 2yo running around with pencils and forks in hand :E

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Jan 2006
                                                                                        • 16073

#44
                                                                                        You let your 2 year old run around with pencils and forks?

Comment

• nick77
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Apr 2006
                                                                                          • 88

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Dougie085
                                                                                          Don't want to disappoint ya. Hehe

Name:	Picture 338.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	845477
                                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 19:55 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"