X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Ah there we go! It's perfect now. And of course the coaster your wife must be proud? :B

Comment

• nick77
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by HeatMiser
      I don't know about those specific dimensions, but that's the basic idea. I've heard "20%" used as a rule of thumb for how much apparent volume you can get back with generous stuffing (the kind of volume that comes in liters and square inches, not the kind that comes in decibels ).

I agree the idea is not very intuitive; it might be helpful to know that it has to do with the fibers of stuffing absorbing heat energy as the air inside the enclosure is compressed. So the air tends toward a more constant temperature, behaving as if it were not being compressed as much as it really is - just like what would happen in a larger cabinet.

That's a pretty crude explanation and I hope the resident engineers will forgive me. I can't pretend to know anything about gas physics, but it sets my mind at ease to know there's something in there that makes a bit of sense.
      Now that I am understanding the principle of fibre filling adding more volume with such a large enclosure will I benifit even more by pulling more stuffing out? I previously removed half. Thanks

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

The only way to find out is to do it and see.

Until this past weekend, I was probably also had a slightly overstuff box about the same size as yours. This past weekend, I emptied one of my subs and left the other one with probably 40% filled. They were co-located, so I could flip back and forth and try and judge the results. It wasn't blind, so I could be biased, but to me the one with lots of stuffing sounded a bit muffled, and had about 2db less power. It sounded like it went a hair deeper, but this could also be because the upper was muffled a bit. The empty box seemed to have fuller sounding bass. I should have gotten REQW out to verify, but it was already a full day of listening and so forth.

I ended up compromising. I basiclly lined the inside of the box with 1-2" fibreglass. I just pulled the R30 apart until it looked about right. So, I guess I'm probably down around 10% of the volume being used by fibreglass.

I like the results, but it was a very subtle change.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• nick77
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ---k---

Until this past weekend, I was probably also had a slightly overstuff box about the same size as yours. This past weekend, I emptied one of my subs and left the other one with probably 40% filled. They were co-located, so I could flip back and forth and try and judge the results. It wasn't blind, so I could be biased, but to me the one with lots of stuffing sounded a bit muffled, and had about 2db less power. It sounded like it went a hair deeper, but this could also be because the upper was muffled a bit. The empty box seemed to have fuller sounding bass. I should have gotten REQW out to verify, but it was already a full day of listening and so forth.

I ended up compromising. I basiclly lined the inside of the box with 1-2" fibreglass. I just pulled the R30 apart until it looked about right. So, I guess I'm probably down around 10% of the volume being used by fibreglass.

Ok I pulled the driver out cause the thought of too much stuffing was bugging me. My power tools have been idle for several weeks and I cant hardly stand it. I have a unused channel on my EP2500 thats driving me crazy. Have I caught something?

Comment

• FlashJim
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by nick77
            Have I caught something?
            Oooooh yeah. In the car world we call it the "mod bug". The treatment is expensive and there is no cure.
            Jim

Comment

• nick77
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ---k---

K- I achieved the exact same results, at first I used r-30 in all its glory at about 5" thick thinking I would tone down this huge enclosure and the sound output was disappointing and muffled. Next I removed about half the stuffing and achieved a tighter sound and increased output. Now I took out about half again and the result is again a little cleaner and tighter and a little more output. Also very subtle difference. Moral of this story dont overstuff a big box.
              Do you think the wife would notice if I installed a 15" driver in the other end table and fed it 750 watts?

Comment

• chasw98
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by nick77
                Do you think the wife would notice if I installed a 15" driver in the other end table and fed it 750 watts?
                Theres is one way to find out! :T

Comment

• FlashJim
                  • Apr 2006

Just use a coaster under that beer and she may not notice.
                  Jim

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                    • May 2006

Ok, I'm thinking about doing my sub like you did yours, making it into an end table. A few quick questions.

1. How large is the actual box part?
                    2. What type of wood and finish did you use?
                    3. On the EP2500 did you have to add some type of filter for the sub?
                    4. Are you running the full power through the sub or are you just running half of the amp's power?

Thanks!

Comment

• nick77
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Inu_Yasha
                      Ok, I'm thinking about doing my sub like you did yours, making it into an end table. A few quick questions.

1. How large is the actual box part?
                      2. What type of wood and finish did you use?
                      3. On the EP2500 did you have to add some type of filter for the sub?
                      4. Are you running the full power through the sub or are you just running half of the amp's power?

Thanks!
                      1. 22x22x26
                      2. 3/4 mdf double wall and 2 braces with pine overcoat
                      3. No filter but considering fbq or deq for eq.
                      4. One channel at 750 watts and still have 1 channel open.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"