X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

Dipoles sorta like bob/arvo - long

Preliminary plans are in (my head) and I thought I'd share some thoughts and get some feedback before going too much farther.

My general plan is to build a 3 way "full range" dipole (a sub will fill in the bottom octave or so), using quality but not ultra expensive parts. I'm not on a tight budget, but I don't need or want to have the ultimate $800ea verbontium drivers.

I want to comfortably hit 105dB, but only to have the dynamic range, not because I listen at screaming levels.

The bass will be two 15" drivers. Active crossovers will set the bass range at about 50Hz (sub below) up to the 160-200Hz range. Two 5" drivers will start here, with one rolling off to compensate for baffle effect, mating in with a tweeter in the mid-high 2000's using a passive crossover. If I get ambitious/curious I may attempt an all passive crossover to the bass, but that's for later.

Now that I read the description I guess it's not a 3-way, more like a 4.5 way including the sub and rolled off 5".

The baffle will likely be about 20" wide plus wings/returns - I'll experiment with numerous configurations here. The final product will likely have curved front face and/or returns, as I'm a sucker for difficult woodwork, and it should help with any edge diffraction.

I've ordered 4 Stryke AE IB15 woofers.
    I'm looking at the peerless HDS 850488 mids and the scanspeak 9500 tweeter. Both seem to be reasonably easy to work with, and good quality and value. I'm also considering the 9700 tweeter, which is about $200US/pair more.

Any suggestions or comments on driver choice or configuration are appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by Paul H; 08 April 2005, 22:07 Friday.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

My preliminary thought is that 5" drivers aren't going to have nearly enough output. They're just too small to work effectively in a dipole, particularily when you're using dual 15"s.

With the Arvo we're using dual 8"s to match up with dual 12"s. That should give you some idea about matching these things up.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Paul H
      • Feb 2004

Thanks Thomas,

I am concerned about that - making the 15's "stretch up" or the 5's "stretch down". The 15's size may be overkill, but I figured that was a good thing for dipole bass.

Linkwitz's spl spreadsheet does indicate the same maximum spl for the 15's at 40Hz as the 5's at 140Hz, using a 20" baffle (about 107 dB). The same sheet gives me 117 dB at 200Hz for dual 5's at xmax.

Am I missing something?

Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Are you familiar with Linkwitz's dipole worksheet? You can calculate the SPL's possible for any size driver with a given dipole panel with X front to back distance, and a given Xmax; can also calculate how many drivers you need to get down to a given LF point.

If I was going to do another new Arvo type design right now (which I hadn't been planning, but hey, twist my arm a little), I'd be looking for a driver with moderate Xmax and cone area, the highest possible first breakup mode, and Faraday rings and the lowest possible mid band distortion. A little efficiency wouldn't hurt either, as you kind of throw away a bit of that with the whole dipole thing- particularly since it usually makes sense to wire the mids in series if you're using two...

Right now, the driver which I suspect would be the winner if we held a run off, price only a moderate issue, would be the Peerless 850467 (if you only count drivers actually shipping in the US right now). It has some Faraday rings not present in the 850439, and the upper midband distortion (above 300 Hz or so) is markedly lower- though the 439 is pretty good compared with most of the competition.

Image not available

Image not available

The existing mid you're looking at is pretty nice-

Image not available

Image not available

The series without the phase plug don't have the Faraday rings up top on the pole piece. This one has an Xmax of about 4 mm. Sd is a little over half of the 6-1/2" HDS series. Net swept volume is under half. This is potentially a problem for a dipole, at least one to be investigated and calculated. For reference, with a 70 Hz crossover, I figured I'd need 8 Extremis on each side for the same SPL you're talking about; obviously, it depends on the chosen crossover frequency. For the Arvo, it's about 180 Hz. 15's probably won't work too well that high; the TC2+ is somewhat unique in it's stiff cone, for a 12, and relatively low VC Le- one coil is 0.845 mH, not the 2-1/2 millihenries typical for a 4 ohm sub driver.

OTOH, the new series holds the promise of possibly even better performance, especially the 830883 and the 830884. The older 8's have their first cone mode about 700 Hz- no go. The 830883 has a rising response like the 467...

Image not available

Image not available

and the very low VC inductance typical of a Faraday ring.

The 884 may even be usable- in fact, I'm very interested in how it performs possibly for the Saint Saens, especially since the Extremis price has gone up, and the measured distortion in the midrange is not as low as I'd hoped...

Image not available

Image not available

Other than the radiation pattern narrowing due to driver size, it may be fine to 1400 or so. But for the dipole, narrowing of the beam pattern above the panel cutoff, to match the pattern in the lower range may be just what the doctor ordered- seems to work well with the Arvo's.

Notice the difference in the inductive rise of the impedance curve? :B

Just some thoughts... are those Peerless mids the ones on sale at Madisound?

~Jon
        Attached Files
        Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 18:37 Thursday. Reason: Remove broken image links
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul H
          • Feb 2004

Jon,

Our posts 'crossed in the mail' - see my notes about Linkwitz's sheet above - do they make sense?

The drivers I was referring to aren't on sale, as far as I know.

I don't think the new exclusive hds series exists anywhere but the peerless website, does it?

Thanks,

Paul

PS This is a learning/training project for me, so I'm not looking for detailed design - I just want to get started in the right direction. I think you've already got a few other designs going to keep you busy in your spare time?

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Paul H
            Jon,

Our posts 'crossed in the mail' - see my notes about Linkwitz's sheet above - do they make sense?

The drivers I was referring to aren't on sale, as far as I know.

I don't think the new exclusive hds series exists anywhere but the peerless website, does it?

Thanks,

Paul

PS This is a learning/training project for me, so I'm not looking for detailed design - I just want to get started in the right direction. I think you've already got a few other designs going to keep you busy in your spare time?
            Oh yeah, the alligators are pretty thick in this part of the swamp!

Yes, our posts crossed in the ether some where....
            :lol:

It sounds like you've got the right idea and are thinking about the right things- so I'll be interested to see how things develop. Every project is a learning project... that's why it took me 4 versions of the 8" bookshelf before the AudioXpress articla, and why I think there's may be a version 5 in the works... Hmmm, of course, technically, the MTM versions are version 5, and the M8ta is version 6. Well, some day I'll get it right.... or closer.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Solen has them

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• sfdoddsy
                • Sep 2000

My only contribution to this plethora of driver innards is the same as that of Thomas. I'd be a little worried about whether two fives can give you the sort of undostorted dynamic range that makes theese dipoles so nice.

My pair of eights may be expensive overkill, but it does feel good knowing they are there.

Steve
                Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• Paul H
                  • Feb 2004

Thanks folks, sounds like I should be looking hard at 6 1/2's or 7's at least. The exclusive hds looks good - well actually the silver doesn't look good (imo), but the FR and TS parameters do.

Any comments on the 9500 tweeter?

Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Looks like Solen has the 8's listed for ~$79 USD, and the 7's for $74 USD, plus shipping. Now, this may not mean they actually HAVE them, but they're in the system, a good sign.

I have an inquiry in to Madisound regarding availability there.
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• sfdoddsy
                      • Sep 2000

Thanks folks, sounds like I should be looking hard at 6 1/2's or 7's at least. The exclusive hds looks good - well actually the silver doesn't look good (imo), but the FR and TS parameters do.

Any comments on the 9500 tweeter?

Paul
                      I'm obviously a fan of the Seas Millenium, but if you're looking at saving money and the 7 inch drivers cost more then the Seas 27TDF (I think that's the model) is remarkably close. I used one in my center when I blew up a Millenium and in my surrounds.

Steve
                      Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• Paul H
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by sfdoddsy
                        I'm obviously a fan of the Seas Millenium, but if you're looking at saving money and the 7 inch drivers cost more then the Seas 27TDF (I think that's the model) is remarkably close. I used one in my center when I blew up a Millenium and in my surrounds.

Steve
                        Steve,

The millenium was/is on my short list with the 9500 or 9700. I'm not sure the cheaper seas have the xmax/power handling I'd like.

I'm not looking to save money actually. I was initially drawn to the hds line because of value/quality, but also the fairly gentle response curves and breakup modes make them easy to work with for a relative newb like myself.

Ironically, the fact that I can identify a speaker that's easy to work with shows I've learned something in the past year.

Anyway, money is not a huge issue. I'll need to think about it before I drop an extra $500+ to go from HDS to Scanspeak or Seas higher end drivers - but all advice and suggestions are accepted. I'd hate to end up wishing in a couple of years from now that I'd spent another couple of hundred dollars.

Another idea I had and earlier rejected was to build a 3-way (still dipole) with 2-10" CSX, a 5" hds and tweeter, along with the 2-15" picking up the low end. It could probably put out great sound but might take me two years to design and build the crossovers

Paul

Comment

• Davey
                          • Jan 2003

Paul,

Your basic objective doesn't sound too different from the speakers that I built. The basic design is nice and simple and there's no reason it can't be improved with better drivers and possibly an active crossover between mid/tweet. In fact, this is exactly what the prototypes were until I "cheapened" the design.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• Paul H
                            • Feb 2004

Davey,

I should have included your dipoles in the title of this thread along with 'bob' and 'arvo', as I had certainly noticed them before and thought they looked great.

At what frequencies are you crossing these over?

Paul

Comment

• Paul H
                              • Feb 2004

I went back through my ideas and realized I made two errors in my initial assumptions.

The first is unintentionally ignoring filter rolloffs and imagining them as 'brick walls' - which is where I came up with the 5" mids getting down low enough to tie into 15's.

The second more important mistake is not looking at some higher end drivers. I'll notice spending more money now, but I'm quite certain the extra few hundred dollars won't matter in a few years. As has been noted on this forum before, if you look at the amount of time spent of designing/building speakers from scratch, and assign any value to your time at all ..

That being said, I looked through a few thousand drivers this weekend and came up with the following drivers:

Per side:
                              2 - Stryke AE IB15's (already bought) low bass dipole, or IB :T

2 - Seas L26RFX/P (10'' aluminum) ~ 80 ~ 450 Hz
                              1 - Seas W18EX001 (6 1/2" magnesium) ~ 450 ~ 2000 Hz
                              1 - Scan Speak 9700 tweeter ~2000Hz and up

I realize that the woofer and mid are 'difficult beasts' to design for as both have some pretty big cone resonances - but I've got time (and LSPCad).

Linkwitz's SPL spreadsheet gives me 107 dB at 160Hz for the W18EX at 1/2 of xmax, so I could push the crossover to the 10's lower if I wanted. There's some flexibility for the crossover from mid to tweeter also, up or down.

Once I get the drivers I'll test a few configurations and try a few baffle shapes - I'm mainly interested in getting a basic concept and driver list nailed down right now.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

I think this complement of drivers is MUCH closer to what you're looking for, performance wise... Calculating to only 1/2 of nominal Xmax for dipole crossover point is also a good idea, Paul. Can you get the center's of the tweeter and W18 within 7"? If so, then it will meet my goofy wavelength criteria. The only other point to consider re your HF crossover is radiation pattern- 7's are narrowing a bit by 2 kHz. May not be an issue at all if the dipole focused radiation below that matches in directivity.

Last, something I've found works well, and you might want to experiment with before making your first test baffles, is using BDS or Edge for layout the baffle based on diffraction distribution/boundary suppot. It still seems to have a big impact on behavior; that Danish guy, Troels Gravesen, found that out with his dipole panel experiments, and I found it to be the case with the Arvo Part; a symmetrical layout like Linkwitz used for the Phoenix and Orion doesn't seem to be optimum.

Do you have any distortion meausrement capabilities? I'm going to be running tests on my RS270's in the 40-600 Hz region, and I'd be real curious to see how they stack up against the Seas W26, acknowledged to be one of the best 10's out there, probably the best.

~Jon
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul H
                                  • Feb 2004

Thanks Jon,

The "1/2 of xmax rule" has no technical justification at all versus say 30% or 70% - but some sort of rule of thumb like that is good. I don't want drivers at their limits, because they won't sound their best then.

The mid/tweet drivers can go as close as 5.75" centre to centre - which suggests a max of ~2400Hz to keep the driver spacing less than the wavelength of the crossover frequency. I think I'll likely keep it ~2000Hz.

Good idea on the baffle layout. I've actually used the Edge in the past, to check layout on the dual M8n's - surprise, surprise, came up with your's and Thomas's recommended spacing for that baffle :wink:

I don't have any distortion measurement capability. The extent of my current measurement setup is a behringer mic/preamp with justmls.

However, Mark K has tested the 10" aluminum seas (the L-series, not the W26). Actually I first noticed that driver on his testing web page. He's tested the RS270 in the same group - see here under "10" woofer test group 1" :

The RS270 has a hitch in the impedance curve at about 750Hz, which shows up in a large hump in the frequency response, starting at 700Hz. The price is very nice, but that 'glitch' kind of scared me away from that driver - I'd be interested in your thoughts on that data.

This Seas 10" L26RFX model is $108US versus $250US for the W26. The differences seem to be that the W26 has a magnesium cone and shorting rings. The rings presumably would improve distortion, but how much I don't know. Other than that, the impedance curves, frequency response and all other parameters look identical. Where there are differences between the two on the manufacturers spec sheets they're probably less than production tolerances. I've upgraded my budget, but ya still gotta draw a line somewhere. As I need 4 of these, they're going to be aluminum, not magnesium, unless someone has compelling reasons otherwise.

Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

I'd expect the W26 to be quite a bit better, with the Excel motor and the Faraday rings, especially in the upper range, but I expected that with the Millenium Excel tweeter (which doesn't have Faraday rings, though), and that didn't quite materialize as expected. Also, I don't see the difference in inductive rise for the W26 which I'd expect with Faraday rings- maybe theyr'e just partial rings, like Seas did with their old 13 paper cone woofer.

The RS270 held it's own on the three tone test, but the L26 had a bit lower IM distortion in terms of the lower sidebands. Not sure what that would mean in practice- it's a grueling test, mot of the drivers kept the IM products better than 40 dB down for any one frequency.

My own check's and Monte Kay's tests indicate that 600 Hz is about the upper usable frequency for the RS270, which means you'd really prefer to have levels above that well attenuated.

Another thing I'm pondering is the efficiency discrency- Dayton claims 90 dB, Seas 87, but I've seen myself that the 87.5 dB rated RS180 are about 2 dB lower than the 87.5 dB rated Peerless. It's probably hard to make a valid comparison unless one measures them all by one's self.

~Jon
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• capslock
                                      • Dec 2004

Actually, the W26 is the only current Excel with an Al cone. So you are paying for two rings of copper and the famous gray paint. Distortion of the W26 is definitely not on par with the W22, exept for < 100 Hz.

Comment

• Paul H
                                        • Feb 2004

they're going to be aluminum, not magnesium, unless someone has compelling reasons otherwise.
                                        Paul
                                        Certainly not hearing any compelling reasons yet

Here's a quick sketch of a possible single panel drivers layout - just under 70" tall - should be able to get some additional boundary effect from the ceiling at that height

Paul
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• Dennis H
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2002

I wonder how much those big Stryke drivers will make the panels vibrate? It it's a problem, you could always do a two-piece lowboy design - WWMT and SS.

Comment

• Paul H
                                            • Feb 2004

It's possible that these could vibrate quite a bit, but I really don't know.

Thomas, if you're reading this, do you have an opinion based on real-life experience with the "flexible flyers" from a while back ?

Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by capslock
                                              Actually, the W26 is the only current Excel with an Al cone. So you are paying for two rings of copper and the famous gray paint. Distortion of the W26 is definitely not on par with the W22, exept for < 100 Hz.

That's rather a shame, isn't it?

I like the tests Mark and Monte have done, but I also want to do some sine sweep and harmonic analysis- so I'm going to add that for the RS270, RS225, M8a for early March.

Thanks again for all the scans you sent me- they've been quite interesting. I'm just trying to figure out how to balanced testing and building!

BTW, do you know when the new Peerless Exclusive series will be available in Europe? I'm hearing one to three months from the distributor in the US.

~Jon
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                • Aug 2000

Certainly not hearing any compelling reasons yet

Here's a quick sketch of a possible single panel drivers layout - just under 70" tall - should be able to get some additional boundary effect from the ceiling at that height

Paul

Nice clean layout- reminds me a little of the Whisper Klones - what do you have in mind for the front panel?

This may be one of those things where you'll want to proto a few configurations until you're happy with how everything works. As low as you're crossing over from the 10's, I'd probably even consider a W cabinet with force cancellation for the 15's, as a base for a wingless dipole panel for the other erivers.

~Jon
                                                the AudioWorx
                                                Natalie P
                                                M8ta
                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                Modula MT XE
                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                Isiris
                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                Calliope
                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                Obi-Wan
                                                Modula PWB
                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul H
                                                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                                  Nice clean layout- reminds me a little of the Whisper Klones - what do you have in mind for the front panel?

This may be one of those things where you'll want to proto a few configurations until you're happy with how everything works. As low as you're crossing over from the 10's, I'd probably even consider a W cabinet with force cancellation for the 15's, as a base for a wingless dipole panel for the other erivers.

~Jon
                                                  I'm wayyyy off from thinking about specifics of the front panel panel - slow down!

The W-cabinet is an excellent suggestion if I indeed cross that low (ie 80Hz). I'll need to do some building, listening and testing first. I seem to recall Thomas commenting somewhere here not long ago that a W cabinet shouldn't be used over 100Hz, so if I'm at or over that I'll go with forward facing drivers and a heavily braced panel.

Next step - get some drivers ordered this week.

Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                    • Aug 2000

I meant more like front panel material or thickness. I have mixed feelings about the W configuration, due to the cavity effects, but for larger drivers and lower crossover frequencies it might make a lot of sense... I only briefly considered it for the Arvo, because I really wanted a dipole bass that could cut it up to 150 or a bit more with one driver - not many that will do that, because of VC inductance. But you're got a nicer situation anyway, because you won't have to work the 7's hard at all, and that will keep the upper mids and lower presence region nice and clean- the 10's will carry the weight in the power region. I've been considering various add on's for the very bottom end of the Arvo's, which is what your 15" Stryke's will do- whether I go that way depends on how the TC2+ hold up, and of course, the Saint-Saens, which will really need something like that.

So I'll be looking over your shoulder a little to see how things work out for you with the Stryke 15's.
                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                    Natalie P
                                                    M8ta
                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                    Isiris
                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                    Calliope
                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                    Modula PWB
                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2002

Cavity effects - SL's studies seem to imply that the resonance frequency is higher for a W-frame than for an H-frame with the same D, although the Q is higher for the W-frame. A W-frame may actually work better. Or not....

W-frame, D=19"

Click image for larger version

Name:	20w2.gif
Views:	116
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	929569

H-frame, D=12" (Fres should be 50% higher)

Name:	w-resp1.gif
Views:	118
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	929570
                                                      Last edited by theSven; 11 March 2023, 13:45 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• capslock
                                                        • Dec 2004

That's rather a shame, isn't it?

BTW, do you know when the new Peerless Exclusive series will be available in Europe? I'm hearing one to three months from the distributor in the US.

~Jon
                                                        Well, the problem is we have only one distributor, Intertechnik, who has apparently been granted exclusivity for Germany, the Netherlands and maybe a few other countries. They are slow to take new drivers into their program, and their suggested retail prices are ususally nearly double the Madisound price, even if you consider that 16% sales tax are already included.

All the dealers have to buy through Intertechnik, so the best prices one can find are 20-25% below suggested retail, still expensive. OEMs have to order small quantities also through them, so while I have a few OEMs at hand, when I want something they are not buying regularly, they are not much cheaper.

One thing they do for their money is renaming and repackaging the drivers, and they do it badly. They have a couple of standard sizes for styrofoam boxes, and in some cases, this means the driver is sitting on its surround. Just received a pair of L18s with the spider moved permanently inwards by 3-4 mm. Upside down storage on a radiator didn't solve the problem, but a hairdrier did. Same thing for HDS134 a while ago.

And their technical support is incompentent. While their online catalog was still showing the old L18 H1142,I asked them when they would have the new H1224. It took them two weeks to reply that they never had had and didn't know any H1142 (which happened to have been in a couple of printed and online editions of their catalogue). Two months later, the online catalogue was updated, and at about the same time I learned that they had been shipping the H1224 for at least half a year.

*end of rant*

This is why I often buy from Madisound and carry the stuff home or ask colleages to take it with them.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                                          Cavity effects - SL's studies seem to imply that the resonance frequency is higher for a W-frame than for an H-frame with the same D, although the Q is higher for the W-frame. A W-frame may actually work better. Or not....

W-frame, D=19"

H-frame, D=12" (Fres should be 50% higher)

I don't like the W dipole cabinet based on it's inherent acoustical properties, but it may be a workable, valuable compromise based on compactness, and the force cancellation of the driver motions- one less thing to "rock the boat", so to speak.

Name:	d_woof1.gif
Views:	109
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	929571

The acoustical performance is more of a liability, and I'm wondering to what degree that can be ameliorated by using somewhat larger dimensions internally and a big bigger cavity. Now, we could sure use a simulator for that!

Slightly OT, but does anyone else find Linkwitz's page "Orion by the Sea" rather funny (I almost snorted my latte this morning!), pitching renting his vacation home ("Honeymoon Cottage") so that one can hear the Orion speakers?

Orion By the Sea

Name:	P5140033web.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	929572

Name:	P4070026web.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	929573

Well, I can imagine it's not easy making an extra buck or two here and there when you're retired...
                                                          Last edited by theSven; 11 March 2023, 13:46 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                          Natalie P
                                                          M8ta
                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                          Isiris
                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                          Calliope
                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                          Modula PWB
                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by capslock
                                                            Well, the problem is we have only one distributor, Intertechnik, who has apparently been granted exclusivity for Germany, the Netherlands and maybe a few other countries. They are slow to take new drivers into their program, and their suggested retail prices are ususally nearly double the Madisound price, even if you consider that 16% sales tax are already included.

All the dealers have to buy through Intertechnik, so the best prices one can find are 20-25% below suggested retail, still expensive. OEMs have to order small quantities also through them, so while I have a few OEMs at hand, when I want something they are not buying regularly, they are not much cheaper.

One thing they do for their money is renaming and repackaging the drivers, and they do it badly. They have a couple of standard sizes for styrofoam boxes, and in some cases, this means the driver is sitting on its surround. Just received a pair of L18s with the spider moved permanently inwards by 3-4 mm. Upside down storage on a radiator didn't solve the problem, but a hairdrier did. Same thing for HDS134 a while ago.

And their technical support is incompentent. While their online catalog was still showing the old L18 H1142,I asked them when they would have the new H1224. It took them two weeks to reply that they never had had and didn't know any H1142 (which happened to have been in a couple of printed and online editions of their catalogue). Two months later, the online catalogue was updated, and at about the same time I learned that they had been shipping the H1224 for at least half a year.

*end of rant*

This is why I often buy from Madisound and carry the stuff home or ask colleages to take it with them.

Folks look at me with a blank stare around here when I tell them that Europe is rather retail customer hostile, with complex distribution systems resulting in rather high markup to the end customer. Your "rant" is just another example, along with CD's priced at 20 lb sterling, etc. It's down right weired that you have to go to the USA to buy European drivers at a good price...

Still, you've really raised my interest in this new series- especially if the distortion performance is similar to the PP HDS parts. Almost makes me itchy to order some of the current ones, but I think discretion is the better part of valor, and I'll wait until the new ones turn up. Solen has them listed, but I'm guessing they can't deliver yet- buying through Canada is a hassle, anyway.

Best regards,

Jon
                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                            Natalie P
                                                            M8ta
                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                            Isiris
                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                            Calliope
                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                            Modula PWB
                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2000

Those wanting so share Siegfried's little slice of paradise can buy in to the community....... :wink:

Oceanfront homes $1,085,000.00 to $1,225,000.00
                                                              Oceanfront sites $625,000.00 to $ 950,000.00
                                                              Meadow homes $829,000.00 to $1,125,000.00
                                                              Meadow sites $260,000.00 to $365,000.00
                                                              Eastside Meadow Homes $995,000.00 to $1,195,000.00
                                                              Eastside Meadow Sites $140,000.00 to $140,000.00
                                                              Hillside homes $none to $none
                                                              Hillside sites $ 189.000.00 to $220,000.00
                                                              Forest homes $649,000.00 to $780,000.00
                                                              Forest sites $none to $none

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Davey
                                                                • Jan 2003

Jon,

I don't think that's "his" vacation home. It's just one of many homes available in that vacation "complex" which are owned by someone else. I don't believe there's any financial incentive for SL. I think it operates more like a timeshare setup. I could be wrong.

Yes, the "W" baffles are somewhat complex, but I think the force cancellation is viewed by many folks (at least those that understand it) as a minor advantage to this configuration. I believe it to be a major one. Listeners with excellent room construction or slabs wouldn't really appreciate the difference, but for rooms like mine it really tips the balance.
                                                                I've tried a few "W-enclosures" bigger than the Phoenix setup. It shifts the resonant point somewhat, but not enough to make a considerable difference. The whole idea here is to operate the system below this point. If higher frequency extension is required then it's time to switch to a conventional (maybe 4-way) setup much like the Beethoven series. I think SL is fairly clear on his explanations of the limitations of the "W" frame setup.

Paul,

The xover frequencies are 120Hz and 2000Hz for my system. I'm sure Jon and others will note that the driver spacing, xover frequencies, etc, etc, of the system break many of the conventional rules, but what the hey. If a guy can't break a few rules now and then where's the fun in that.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                  • Aug 2000

Thanks for your comments regarding the W enclosure- including your feedback about larger W enclosures. I was wondering if a slight shift upwards or Q reduction was possible- it sounds like, from what I've seen, it's going to have the same issues as an IB manifold, which means realistically about an 80 Hz crossover when all's said and done. I used to do slot loaded 15" subs in the 70's and early 80's, and they had similar issues affecting the response above 100 Hz.

~Jon
                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                  M8ta
                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                  Isiris
                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                  Calliope
                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Davey
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2003

In my limited experience it's difficult to estimate the response peak based on cabinet dimensions alone. The driver itself figures into the equation also with how it interacts with the enclosure. Some drivers have a pole vent with some space that must be allowed for and some you can pack in a little "tighter" etc, etc. I think it's kind of a build it and try it situation.

A couple years ago I transplanted the Madisound 1252DVC drivers from my Phoenix system into a wider and deeper W enclosure expecting to achieve a little better pre-EQ'd response, but it didn't work as expected. Maybe the angled baffle approach that Monte and SL have used might be a better solution, but I haven't tried that yet. Screwing everything together initially is a good idea.....if you have to tear it down later it's no big deal.

Yeah, I think you're correct. An 80-100Hz crossover is about the limit for a "W" baffle....unless somebody has a magic solution that I'm not aware of.

You have to give these "H" and "W" baffles some credit though. They achieve pretty darn good results with a minimum of space without having to resort to larger and more involved setups like IB's.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Davey

You have to give these "H" and "W" baffles some credit though. They achieve pretty darn good results with a minimum of space without having to resort to larger and more involved setups like IB's.

Cheers,

Davey.

Well, that is my reasoning for the W cabinet- trying to figure out something that will NOT be built in, but trying to keep it compact. Another possibility is a force canelling sealed enclsoure below 75 Hz with lots of power and LT transform- but I think I'm willing to spend extra bucks and go dipole if I can keep the forward size at bay... I'm still thinking in terms of multiple 12s, because it would be easier to move around when needed, too. Maybe modular... stack 'em like PA bass bins, you know?

~Jon
                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                      M8ta
                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                      Isiris
                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                      Calliope
                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2002

Davey, have you tried damping the cavity resonance? Above 200 Hz, where the worst problems seem to be, I'd think a few inches of fiberglass stuffed in the back of the cavity might help.

Comment

• Davey
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2003

No, I didn't, but worth a try. There's a cavity front and back so aesthetically it might not look very neat unless there's some covering.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• Paul H
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Feb 2004
                                                                            • 904

I meant more like front panel material or thickness. I have mixed feelings about the W configuration, due to the cavity effects, but for larger drivers and lower crossover frequencies it might make a lot of sense...
                                                                            The front panel material will likely be thick multi-layer ply/mdf with veneer. I'm envisioning something that is curved backwards at both sides, rather than just rounded off at the corner. Veneer and stain type will just depend on my mood and how the drivers look assembled. Bird's eye maple with a red-wine colored aniline dye to make the grain pop? ... hmmm.

I think I'll stay away from w-cabinets based on comments here so far - I can build a heavy cabinet which will sit on a carpeted concrete slab, so the force cancellation isn't critical, and there are a bunch of potential negatives with sound quality.

...I've been considering various add on's for the very bottom end of the Arvo's, which is what your 15" Stryke's will do- whether I go that way depends on how the TC2+ hold up, and of course, the Saint-Saens, which will really need something like that.

So I'll be looking over your shoulder a little to see how things work out for you with the Stryke 15's.
                                                                            You'll be looking over my shoulder to see my results! :roll: no pressure here ... :lol:

Paul

Comment

• capslock
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2004
                                                                              • 410

#39
                                                                              Folks look at me with a blank stare around here when I tell them that Europe is rather retail customer hostile, with complex distribution systems resulting in rather high markup to the end customer. Your "rant" is just another example, along with CD's priced at 20 lb sterling, etc. It's down right weired that you have to go to the USA to buy European drivers at a good price...

Still, you've really raised my interest in this new series- especially if the distortion performance is similar to the PP HDS parts. Almost makes me itchy to order some of the current ones, but I think discretion is the better part of valor, and I'll wait until the new ones turn up. Solen has them listed, but I'm guessing they can't deliver yet- buying through Canada is a hassle, anyway.

Best regards,

Jon

Well, it really depends on the product or service you're looking at. The problem with Intertechnik compared to say Madisound is that there is one more dealer down the line (you normally buy from a dealer who buys from Intertechnik who buys from d-s-t, and if you buy from Intertechnik directly, they stick to their suggested retail prices in order not to hurt their dealers). Also, they have essentially no competition, because any startup company would have to order about 50 - 100 drivers per model, which is a huge initial investment. And I wonder what's going to happen to Madisound prices now that PE have dropped most d-s-t products and only Solen remains.

If you were to buy drivers in a retail store in the US, there'd be a similar markup.

And a 20 lb CD sounds outrageous. We pay 13-16 Euros for a regular-priced CD, including 16% VAT (which, in spite of our federalized structure, cannot be evaded). So on the long term average Euro/$ exchange rate, this is about equal. And we do get a two year warranty on all goods (which I don't care about in the case of CDs, but which comes in handy with all kinds of equipment).

There are funny retail structurs in the US, too. Wine, no matter whether domestic, European or Chilean, is about twice what it costs here. Cheese can be really weird. I remember looking at a 125 g package of Boursin, a mass produced, definitely non-gourmet soft cheese that sells for about 1 Euro here costing $7.99 in a US supermarket. Domestic cheese is also surprisingly expensive.

Of course, Japan beats that, too, the same cheese costing Yen 1100, and really poor German wine selling for Yen 2000.

Retail structures can be really hard to understand. I used to joke with a Japanese business partner from whom we buy optical glass that we should open a wine distribution joint venture, and that we'll all get rich by paying for the glass in wine.

Comment

• Paul H
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2004
                                                                                • 904

#40
                                                                                Okay, no more feedback on the best drivers for use in my dipole ... because I've ordered all of them now.

Waiting as fast as I can,

Paul

Comment

• capslock
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2004
                                                                                  • 410

#41
                                                                                  Waiting as fast as I can,
                                                                                  :wink:

Comment

• Paul H
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Feb 2004
                                                                                    • 904

#42
                                                                                    Got a box today in the mail marked "Heavy"

It included the tweeter, mid and 10's.

No word on the 15's yet - different supplier.

I'll start cutting scrap and testing hopefully this weekend.

Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 15311

#43
                                                                                      That's what I like- a man who moves quickly! Getting in new parts to try out is half the fun, for sure...

~Jon
                                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                                      M8ta
                                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                                      Isiris
                                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                                      Calliope
                                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Mark K
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2002
                                                                                        • 388

#44
                                                                                        Sea Ranch is a funny place. I've had the pleasure of staying there, though not in the honeymoon cottage. My guess it was the standard second home by the sea onclave/tax write off of the 1970's for the affluent Bay area types. Like everything else by the sea in CA, the prices are ridiculously high. Of course, a starter home in Sac is 400k, so what's 1.2m for an ocean view... :B And Jon, can you buy a detached house in the Bay area for less than 800k?

It's hard to get to, but probably worth taking a couple day vacation there. Personally, I find the architecture not to my liking, but the natural beauty is quite remarkable. Anyway, unlike Jon, I didn't find the ad for the honeymoon cottage all that odd. After all, nobody lives in those homes, well, not really. What do you do with your second home when it's paid off and you can't write it off anymore? Why, you rent it out...
                                                                                        www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 15311

#45
                                                                                          I understand your logic, Mark, but logic wasn't part of my original reaction...

Well, according to the Mercury News last week, prices have risen 20% in the last 12 months, reaching a median for Santa Clara county of $620K. Bay area overall is about $540K median; that includes all the "low buck" areas... heck, an 1800 sq ft detached house in Tracy is in the high 400's these days. Some townhomes just went on the market in Livermore, they're cute looking, but small, and in a terrible location just before an overpass on one of the busiest streets in Livermore (1st St, just East of downtownj area), entry ways RIGHT up on the street, and two bedrooms start in the high 500's. Ludicrous. Especially funny if you read the ad copy, and they way they're trying to talk up the immediate area, you'd think it was Pleasanton instead of Livermore they were talking about. In Livermore, a newish 2000 square ft place is ~750-800K. More further west, of course.
                                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                                          M8ta
                                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                                          Isiris
                                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                                          Calliope
                                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"