X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonicworld
    • Aug 2004

Speaker re-edging service recomendations

I need to have the woofers from an old pair of JBL-L110 speakers re-edged and have found many online sites that offer this service. While I understand this can be done with the purchase of a kit I'd prefer to have it professionally done. Anyone have any experience with a online vendor that they feel comfortable recommending?
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Kenneth, welcome to The Guide! :welcome:

You may want to post this in our Mission Possible DIY forum. In fact there's a thread that mentions this and refers to another thread that possibly got lost when we moved to a new server. Anyway, after reading that thread, you could ask Thomas if he remembers any specifics. I hope this helps.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• brucek
      HTG Expert
      • Aug 2000

Hey Kenneth,

JBL L110's were a nice speaker. I own a pair of JBL L36's that I'm still using on my second system. I remember when I bought them, I really wanted the next speaker up in the food chain (L110) but couldn't afford them at the time and settled for the very nice three way L36's.

I bought my L36's in 1974 and they served me well until about 1991 when the foam completely disintegrated on the woofers. I dragged out my original warranty and it said the drivers were guaranteed for life! I found this hard to believe, but went to company that reconed speakers and had them done. JBL paid for the reconed job after all that time.

On my own dime I also had to replace all the capacitors in the crossovers which had deteriorated after that much time, plus I upgraded the tweeters to some nice Vifas I bought and I added binding posts to replace the cheap push pin speaker connects they used to use.

I still really like the sound of these as much as I did back in the 70's.........heheh I'm giving away my age... :roll:

brucek

Comment

• sonicworld
        • Aug 2004

Hey brucek,

Thanks for sharing. Yeah, I couldn't afford the L110's either. I remember getting them mail order and saved BIG (I have the original receipt around somewhere). I still remember the truck driver dropping them off saying what nice speakers they were (funny how certain things stick). I've been using them all this time. Little did I know the "L" series is now considered a classic.

I did check my warranty card and there is nothing about lifetime driver warranty. Five years in my case. I'm going to send them to JBL-speaker.com as they claim to be an authorized service station that uses genuine JBL parts. Can't wait to hear them again. Peace.

Comment

• glangston@socal
          • May 2004

I got a kit and re=foamed my AR10?. I did a good job on one but only passable on the other. Still they sound pretty good. It might help to have 4 hands.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"