X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • selfilm
    • Oct 2016

Best CD Player That Won't Break The Bank

Hello,
    I am replacing a Pioneer Elite Blu-Ray DVD player that functioned as my CD player for quite some time. I have a great sounding system that can definitely hear the difference in a good and bad CD player. I have a pretty basic Cambridge Audio CD player which doesn't come close to the sound quality of the Pioneer Elite unit. Wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what I can get as a CD player that will provide really rich sound but not be over the top expensive.
    Thanks,
    selfilm
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Depends on your budget--"won't break the bank" is a different pressure point for each person.

In the sub-1000$ category, I would look at NAD, Cambridge Audio (other than the one you have--model name and number?), some Yamaha. Or, provided your Cambridge had a digital output (which I guess it should unless it's pre-1995 vintage, in which case it was more hit or miss back then) and it functions well in terms of physical functions (reads all your discs, doesn't over heat, has good ergonomics, etc.), you might want to consider getting an external DAC. That would definitely help keep the budget in check, as there are a number of good options. I'm quite happy with my Schiit Audio Modi 2 Uber (since supplanted by Modi 3) in the low-price range of 100$ (the new one is less expensive than my older one, which was 150$ back in the day). Arcam makes one at around 500-600$, IIRC, if you're interested in a larger outlay of money.

This page lists a variety of DACs at different price points (some are intended to be portable, but most can pull desktop/living room system duty). I'm partial to the Marantz (if need arose/budget allowed, I'd probably spring for it).

Hope this helps. I'm sure some of our other members (who know much more about such things than I do) will pipe in with suggestions as well.

Cheers.

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Is there a reason you're retiring the Pioneer Elite? If it sounds good, why not keep using it? If you're getting a new BD player, see how it sounds before springing for a separate CD player.

As Ovation said, if your player has a digital output, a DAC can improve the sound without having to replace the transport at all, unless it's not working properly.

You could probably find a good quality used player on Audiogon or eBay if you don't mind buying used.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

I have really enjoyed my old trusty Rega Jupiter, it is better than the entry levvel. I guess they make improved ones now, mine is old, but it still kicks it...
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Lex
          I have really enjoyed my old trusty Rega Jupiter, it is better than the entry levvel. I guess they make improved ones now, mine is old, but it still kicks it...
          I still rely on my Marantz DV6400 (2004 vintage) for CD/SACD/DVD-A playback in my 2 channel rig in the living room (and, very occasionally, a rental or borrowed DVD that glitches in other players--this thing has the most robust error correction I've ever seen on a shiny disc player).

Old doesn't mean obsolete in all cases.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

I have a few DVD players around the house I'd let go on the cheap that would make good CD players or transports likely. AT least 2 I think, plus the original DVD player by Sony, known as an excellent redbook transport.
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Pecrobet
              • Oct 2022

Hello Everyone,
              I'm new to this forum, but have been involved in the Hi-Fi Audio Trade for almost a decade. From years of experience and owning multiple CD players over the years, I found that "OPPO" makes some of the finest CD/DVD players on the market in my opinion.
              I currently own an "OPPO BDP-93". I've always heard great things about OPPO CD players. Their sound quality and performance is outstanding. Since buying my OPPO player a few years ago, I can say unequivocally that it has totally changed the way I listen to music.
              I strongly recommend buying an OPPO CD player. At least make sure to place OPPO on your shortlist of CD players. If you do some basic research, you will see OPPO components are highly regarded by audiophiles and credible publications.

Robert
              Pecrobet Audio

Comment

• theSven
                Master of None
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Pecrobet
                Hello Everyone,
                I'm new to this forum, but have been involved in the Hi-Fi Audio Trade for almost a decade. From years of experience and owning multiple CD players over the years, I found that "OPPO" makes some of the finest CD/DVD players on the market in my opinion.
                I currently own an "OPPO BDP-93". I've always heard great things about OPPO CD players. Their sound quality and performance is outstanding. Since buying my OPPO player a few years ago, I can say unequivocally that it has totally changed the way I listen to music.
                I strongly recommend buying an OPPO CD player. At least make sure to place OPPO on your shortlist of CD players. If you do some basic research, you will see OPPO components are highly regarded by audiophiles and credible publications.

Robert
                Pecrobet Audio
                Welcome to the HT Guide forum. I upgraded to a Panasonic BDP and have thought about CD players if they would make a difference vs streaming HD over Roon. Anyone looked to see if someone has done testing like that? Emotiva came with a CD player and that is what got me thinking do I need one? Maybe I may have to look into getting one such as the OPPO...
                Painter in training

Comment

• Steve Manning
                  • Dec 2006

Just as an FYI, if you want a Oppo player it will be used. They stopped making players a few years back.
                  Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• theSven
                    Master of None
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Steve Manning
                    Just as an FYI, if you want a Oppo player it will be used. They stopped making players a few years back.
                    Yes, I have been trolling ebay here and there. One of the reasons I bought a panasonic for bluray. I didn't find any deals I liked for an OPPO.
                    Painter in training

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

That's why I bought one of their last gen UHD BD players before they quite making them. But that was for the 4K HDR blu-ray function with built in audio decoding. And just unboxed it this last week, for use in the special AV room that will be setup... after the construction of the SMJ-40 project, assuming they do get constructed. Otherwise it might be the Kurosowa's. Or I might swap them both in and out... who knows....

Now, the funny thing is, I DO have an Oppo BDP-93- but it was bought specifically so that I could install the Czech made Audio-Praise board for it, which replaces the multichannel analog output board with a multichannel digital output board... so I can RIP SACD'S and the high def audio disc sources.

Now, yes, the Audio-Praise board is legal, because it sets the copy protection bit in the PCM bitstream, but, as you might imagine, I have a couple of RME FireFace 800's that can be used for digital stream capture and set to ignore the copy protection bit. I have a number of SACD rips I made from early Sony SACD only disks at 88.2 kHz PCM. And because Sony took extra trouble with the mastering of those disks compared with CD versions, they do sound very nice, thank you, besides just the high res aspect.

the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                      Obi-Wan
                      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Oh, and regarding the original question, well, the higher end Cambridge players are certainly good value for the dollar, in my experience, but I'm much more inclined to recommend getting a transport, preferably with AES/EBU outputs.

Now, I did buy a Cambridge AXCX35 for my wife to have something simple to operate, and it has good reviews, but I probably missed the point, as she has no prior experience with CD players (never did in Russia). It sounds better than streaming or bluetooth, but I haven't done any exhaustive evaluation. My "budget" disk player is pretty capable but not used often because transport repairs are not possible for this model any more (or my older Sony SACD player); it's venerable SA11S1 Marantz, and yes dears, it most certainly has balanced outputs. And does a pretty passable job on digital, unless you listen to a network server driving an Rendu or similar into Alpha USB into Brainstorm DCD8 with rubidium oscillator re-clocked into a Terminator or TotalDAC, then you'll realize there's a bit missing in the imaging and palpability departments.

It's all relative, and there's a wider range of "relative" than many folks realize... Don't go listen to excellent gear, it's the enemy of good gear and satisfaction with it.
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"