X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Desert Fox
    • Dec 2006

Thorens TD 295 mk. IV

I just bought a Thorens TD 295 mk. IV and the stumbled across a scathing review on the table about 2 days later. Does anyone else own this turntable or have anything to offer in the way of review etc? I am totally freaked out ...

The only good thing I have to say is that I got it brand new and for 1/2 price. (it's $1330 in Canada-tax included).
    Alan Snider
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Here are a couple of reviews from the AudioReview owner-review site that may be of interest.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Johnloudb
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2007

This should make you feel better!

Amazon.com Reviews

In AudioXpress magazine Charles Hansen (Ayre Acoustics) gave the table a very good review. The full review is available at AudioXpress.com in their equipment reviews section. Here's the link to the PDF, Thoren's Review by Charles Hansen

That's a review you can trust! IMO
      John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Just because one reviewer doesn't care for it doesn't mean that you can't enjoy it...

Good luck with the new 'table!
        Danish

Comment

• The Desert Fox
          • Dec 2006

Is this too low end of a turntable to consider a phono stage or phono cables? I know so little on the subject. That's why I come here.
          Alan Snider

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

You'll need a phono stage anyway unless your pre-amp/receiver has one built in. Can you list your other equipment? That may help us determine what you need and provide recommendations.

Did your table come with an arm and cartridge, has it been set up (cartridge installed and aligned, etc)?
            Danish

Comment

• The Desert Fox
              • Dec 2006

Here's what I have:

RHB 10
              RC-1070
              RCD-1072
              Paradigm monitor 7 v.4's

all Dared inconnects
              Unity basic link speaker cable

The table comes with an Audio Technica AT-95E cartridge, already set up/installed
              Alan Snider

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

The RC-1070 already has a built in phono stage so you're good to go, at least until you feel like upgrading to a stand-alone unit.

I'm assuming your Thorens is already cabled - should have a pair of cables with RCA connections and one wire with just a metal loop or something on the end for connecting the ground.
                Danish

Comment

• The Desert Fox
                  • Dec 2006

So, do you think at this level of turntable, a standalone phono stage or upgrade on phono cable makes sense?(discernable benefit)
                  Alan Snider

Comment

• dyazdani
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

I would listen and enjoy what you have and when you get a good feel for the character of your system, experiment with changing components.

That's half the fun of tables - you can get a lot of different character by changing arms, cartridges, phono stages, etc.
                    Danish

Comment

• wkhanna
                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Agreed 100%!

Just plug that baby in and start listening & enjoying. Don't let the opinions of others keep you from having fun. Get some LP's in good condition, do some reading on basic cleaning techniques, and just spend a few weeks getting used to the new sound of an analog source in your system. Only then can you make a judgment on whether this is a path you want to spend more time exploring.

IMHO you have a fine TT for starting you journey into the world of analog.
                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• The Desert Fox
                        • Dec 2006

Thanks for all the encouragement guys...

This is actually a journey back to the future, as I have about 1200 albums to take out of storage to listen to again. Many titles have never seen the light of day on CD. The only other turntable I have ever owned was a Pioneer PL-200 that I bought for $110 when I was 14 years old (1979?). I still have that turntable , but wanted to take a leap forward as I have done with the rest of my system in the past 3 years. The HTG forum users have been loads of help any time I need a more expert opinion.
                        Alan Snider

Comment

• Dukerbud
                          • Sep 2014

Hello there!!!
                          I know it's been a number of years since this post BUT do you still own this turntable?? How have you found it's performance?? I am looking into getting one brand new. Any insight you can provide would be most appreciative.
                          Many Thanks
                          Darrin

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"