X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • btf1980
    • Aug 2007

The $6000 Marantz Universal Player

From the AK Fest coverage by Positive Feedback.

Looks like a beast, but I'll pocket $5500 and stick with my Oppo.
    A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Wow...the price of snake oil must have taken a jump.

Comment

• btf1980
      • Aug 2007

The thing about this player is that despite the fact it is even more expensive than the Denon, it does not offer DVD-A playback.

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by btf1980
        The thing about this player is that despite the fact it is even more expensive than the Denon, it does not offer DVD-A playback.

All i can say is that until the general public understands and catches on to what differences can come from BD players a lot of brands will take advantage of the lack of knowladge.

Since the ultimate we are after in a source player is the ability to stream 1080p 24 and lossless audio and those are native on the disc all we need is a transport. Yes there is value in a strong analog section but you have to ask yourself how much its worth and if the money could be better spent somewhere else. i.e. processor or display.

IMO all we need is a transport like the Oppo. The only reason I would consider paying more is if the unit itself looked better.

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
          • May 2008

Makes you wonder why some company doesn't buy the oppo innards and put a nice Aluminum skin on it and charge double...
          Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• littlesaint
            • Jul 2007

If I had an older, reference class pre/pro that lacked HDMI, I could see spending more for a reference analog section in my player. That said, I'd go for the Pioneer 09FD over the Marantz at less than 1/3 the cost.
            Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Originally posted by btf1980
              ... well, then it's not really a "universal" player, now, is it?
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• littlesaint
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Chris D
                ... well, then it's not really a "universal" player, now, is it?
                I don't think Marantz is calling it a "universal" player. Have they ever included DVD-A in one of their players?
                Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

It's a beast!

Nigel.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• btf1980
                    • Aug 2007

I was wrong, it does do DVD-A according to the press release.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

This player is based mechanically and electronically on the technologies developed for the SA-7, which is one of the better SACD and CD players out there. That is a good platform from which to start a high performance universal player.

For those using HT style equipment with conventional Pre-Pro's, enjoying this player or a player like the SA-7 fully will be impaired by the limitations of the electronics. For those who are usually two channel purists, this player may be of some interest, as it would avoid needing to have additional source inputs and expense. And at the quoted price, it would seem they're trying to be agressive, as it is lower than the SACD/CD only SA-7.

I've owned a couple of Oppos, and while they offer great value for the money, the SACD performance is disappointing compared with even the lower end units like the SA-15 in this series, much less the SA-11 or SA-7.
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                      Obi-Wan
                      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Glen B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jul 2004

Amen.

Comment

• Alloroc
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by littlesaint
                          Have they ever included DVD-A in one of their players?
                          My old Marantz DV8400 is a UDP and plays DVD-A. It's a bloody good one too. It's still my primary DVD-A player while SACD playback is now performed by an Esoteric.

This is what Positive Feedback made of it back then.

High end Marantz is quality and I am a big fan - certainly in my early days of hifi their KI series packed a huge punch. Ken Ishiwata is one of the world's great hifi geniuses and a sound guy too. I had the pleasure to meet him a number of years back in Eindhoven - when Marantz was still part of Philips (I did a lot of work for Philips). So, this being a KI product I don't need any convincing that it will be special. Certainly not 'snake oil'.

However, while I'm not in the market for this player, their new UD-9004 has my ears pricked. This could be the BD player I've been waiting to buy.
                          Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Blindamood
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by littlesaint
                            I don't think Marantz is calling it a "universal" player. Have they ever included DVD-A in one of their players?
                            One of the better universal players ever made was the Marantz DV9600 (based on the reviews I've read...no first-hand experience).
                            Brad

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"