X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cotrel
    • Feb 2004

Dish Receivers on A-B Switch

Has anyone tried setting up 2 dish sat receivers on a "A-B Switch?? I just got the 811 HD Receiver and also have the Dish PVR. I want to be able to switch between the two. Am also having trouble finding a good A-B Switch with single input and two outputs and good separation. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has tried this...JC
  • Uncle Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Sometimes finding an A/B switch or even signal amps that can handle sat signals of over 1.6htz can be tricky. If you still have a VCR with line outputs maybe you could use a line input on your TV from your VCR and the other directly in on coax. Then you'd do video switching on your TV with your remote instead of getting up to do that all the time

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
    CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Cotrel
      • Feb 2004

Got the A/B switch, all works great. Can now use PVR when needed, or the HD ..Thanks...JC

Comment

• rhodiel
        • Mar 2004

what is the name of this a/b switch and where can i get one?

thank in advance,

ariel

Comment

• Cotrel
          • Feb 2004

Radio Shack carries an a/b switch that will work fine for 10.00. These switches are bi-directional. Put Sat.into TV and connect your receivers to the other two connections.. I did not know that these were bi-directional when I first posted this issue...Mine works fine...JC

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Are you seeing any degradation of the video signal? It's a little surprising that an A/B switch that'll handle the high-Hz requirements would only cost $10. Surprising, but pretty cool. . . .
            :banana:

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Going OT here:

Hi ya Uncle, glad to see you posting again!!!! :T

Shoot me an e-mail when you have the time. It'd be great to catch up - lots has changed in my life too. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Cotrel
                • Feb 2004

No degradation that I can see...JC

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

JC, just out of curiousity what size display are you viewing this on?

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                    • Jan 2002

Hey Jack... welcome to htguide.

Your 811 has two sets of audio/video inputs... couldn't you simply send the output of your DVR to your 811?

I've never tried it with any of my receivers because I change inputs on our RPTV but it sounds like it would easier to use than an A/B switch and it could all be done via remote.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Cotrel
                      • Feb 2004

Sonnie you really got me thinking with your question. But after thinking it through here is my conclusion. I have one satellite feed at the location of my HT. That feed can only be used for one receiver at a time, so if I wish to use the DVR to record programing it must have the sole feed, thus the A/B switch to dedicate the feed to the appropriate receiver. Now using one of the AV inputs to view what has been recorded seems feasable but I see no way that it can eliminate the need for the A/B switch. If I have missed something here please let me know. Lord knows I fly by the seat of my pants with most of this stuff....Jack

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                        • Jan 2002

lol Jack... I'll join that flight with you.

You are so right... one feed won't work with my solution. You would need a dual LNB with 2 feeds (one to each receiver) in order to eliminate the A/B switch. Or depending on what other receivers you have in the house you might would need a combo of switches, dual or quad LNB's. None the less you'd have to have 2 feeds coming in at the DVR and 811. And if you had 2 feeds you might not need my solution if you have more than 1 input on your TV. So flop that idea huh!

Talk about confusion... I have 4 receivers, 4 TV's, and a PJ with 1 Dish 500 and a Dish 300 (that will soon have a dual LNB), along with an SW44 and 2 SW21 switches and what seems like miles of RG6 strung from one end of my attic to the other. When my 811 arrives I'll have 2 HD receivers and things will change once again. Everytime I go in the attic I have to take about 10 minutes to figure out what goes where. Fortunately I colored coded all the wires last time around. :roll:

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"