X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tibor
    • Oct 2000

DVD Players

I am just looking at my first DVD player and was wondering what kind of pre-outs I need to get great sound . Also i am looking at a Pioneer or a Toshiba DvD player .
    Whats everybody else use for DVD players ?
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

Tibor, I use Pioneer, Toshiba, and Panasonic. Also used first generation Sony. Anyway, I like the Pioneer picture best I think. It's not quite as sharp as the Toshiba picture, butr I recognize it as nice compromise. Very good detail and color, but not heavily pixelated on the edges.

As far as sound, provided you have a receiver with digital input for DD and or DTS sound, I recommend a digital coax output on the DVD player. But most sport both digital coax and toslink connections anyway. The latter is optical.

Lex

Comment

• MRWILLL
      • Aug 2000

I use a Pioneer Elite DV-09, and a Pioneer DVL-919 (DVD/LD/CD) player. The Elite is a REF player that has different memory settings for a tailored picture to your likeing.

STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
      DVD...Hear it from the people who
      mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".
      STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
      DVD...Hear it from the people who
      mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

First I assume you have a 4:3 TV and not a widescreen. Given that that is true I would highly advise you to stay away from Toshiba players. They tend to have the most problems playing DVD's and have the worst downconversion of all players. The downconversion artifacts can be extremly distracting esp on large TV's. I started out with a Tosh and soon sold it for that reason. I then moved onto a Panasonic which has a much better downconversion but still retains the sharp image. Pioneer players IMO offer one of the best images but they consistantly do a poor job on the players ergonomics. By that I mean the little things like scanning speeds, menu's and the like. Sony players have a soft image but totally lack downconversion artifacts. Its a comprise as to how soft an image you want. The Sony players are very good models though as far as features go etc. One thing to note as well is that the Pioneers will play CDR discs while most others will not. All should play CDRW discs though

Comment

• Tibor
          • Oct 2000

I was looking at the Toshiba SD2150 or the PioneerDV333 both aroubd $250 from what I was reading the Toshiba has zoom and more fastforward speeds . I only have a 32 TV so I will see about the Pioneer .

Comment

• gil
            • Dec 2000

Pioneer DV-333 is a great player. I just upgraded from my 2nd generation Tosh 3107 to the Pioneer. Outstanding detail and color, plays cd-r's and not too shabby as a CD player.

An absolute bargain from Amazon for $150 but you need to act today to get the 50 off 200 deal.

See...
            http://www.dealcatcher.com/
            Note that you need to buy something else from the Amazon Electronics store to put you over the $200 since the DV-333 goes for 199. I bought some AA batteries.

Happy new year,
            Gil

Comment

• gil
              • Dec 2000

Darn! I just checked the price on Amazon and it's now $229. So I guess $179 plus shipping is the new price with the promotion.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I'd look at either the Pioneer 333, Sony 360, or Panasonic RV30. Pass on the toshiba.

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Tibor,
                  While I agree with most of what Andrew said, the one thing he didn't cover was, if you have a 32 inch that is capable of doing the "Squeeze Trick" then, the Toshiba quickly becomes the Sharpest picture out there. The artifacts become a non-issue.

I have a Pioneer DVL-700 (LD/DVD) and a Toshiba 1200. On my 32" JVC with the "Squeeze" the Toshiba's picture is nothing less than stunning!

As the other above have said, each of these companies will get you there. It comes down to which type of picture floats your boat.

Good luck!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Tibor
                    • Oct 2000

Well I picked up the Pioneer DV333 for $179 at Soundtrack .
                    I played my first DVD Gone in Sixty Seconds just amazing nice picture and great sound .
                    I have a few CD-R and CD-RW so that was a selling point on the Poineer . Toshiba will not play all the formats .
                    Thanks for all your help .

Comment

• Lexman
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2000

Glad you found one your happy with Tibor. Enjoy

Lex

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

tibor glad we could help the 333 is a great machine

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"