X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eduardo
    Moderator emeritus
    • Jun 2002

Denon 3803

I'm interested in the Denon 3803. I went by my local Audio NOW but they don't have any in to demo. Their suppose to get some in this week. Has anyone own or auditioned this reciever?

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

What happened to the rotel 1055?

Comment

• Eduardo
      Moderator emeritus
      • Jun 2002

What happened to the rotel 1055?
      The Rotel is still on my list of desired AVR. But budget is limited. My plans in the next 18 months is to upgrade my reciever; upgrade 27" TV to a Big Screen and hopefully build new Set of 6 speakers. All that and a family in the making. :crazy:

Currently there is a deal on a NEW Denon 3803 for $650 shipped from an authorized Denon E-Commerce dealer. I've read good things about the Denon. I plan on calling around today to see if I can find one locally to demo.

This does not eliminate the Rotel especially if I don't like the Denon sonicly.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Eduardo, I have the 3801 which is the same series, but with the 3802 and now the 3803, I'm sure there are added features. Anyhow, the 3801 is a 7 channel receiver with 105 watts per channel. It also has the inputs for DVD-A. Probably the only thing missing is SACD. Not sure. One thing I can say, it replaced a top of the line Yamaha integrated amp in my HT, primarily because the Yammy didn't have a back channel for 6.1 that I wanted to get into. I use the Yammy for music upstairs.

I did feel the Denon was much warmer than the Yamaha, but I have to say I really love the Denon and would upgrade to another Denon if I really get the itch. How much you'd like the Denon over Rotel, though, is something I can't answer. Hopefully you can demo the Denon before you commit.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Eduardo
          Moderator emeritus
          • Jun 2002

Thanks for your input. I definitely will not buy online with out listening first.

Comment

• eelco74
            • Dec 2002

Hi,

I own a 3801 for almost 3 years now. If HT is what you are looking at, than you can't go wrong with the 3803. However Stereo is a different matter. The 3801 is not very good in Stereo, what I heard from the 3803, is not that mutch better.

Rotels 1055 (and its replacement the 1056) has better steering with HT, but the difference is not that great. In Stereo the 3803 is no match for the 1055. Rotel really makes the difference here.

I use my 3801 as a pre-amp now. As soon as the Rotel rsp-1068 is available i will buy it and replace the 3801.

Listen to the Denon first before buying. I don't know what speakers you own. It all depends on them if the 1055 has any advantage over the 3803. Ie the 3803 with Kef cresta will sound way to soft. then you are better off with the Rotel. I you have womething like Quadral, the Denon might compensate the bright quads.

both the 3801/2/3 have a 5.1 analogue input. So for both SACD and DVD-A you will be fine.

Good luck in choosing.

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
            Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
            Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• GregoriusM
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2000

You definitely have to be careful in speaker matching, but I think that is moreso with the Denon and its "warmth".

I own a Denon and have auditoned the 3800 to 3803. The 3803 is the best of the bunch in my opinion.

But, the Rotel, even though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, is much more musically inclined.

I'd say you'd pretty well have to make an educated guess on the sonic qualities of your speakers and then go with the better HT response of the 3803 (and 7.1) or the definitely better musicality of the Rotel.

IMHO!

Greg
              Gregor

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"