X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

RIAA settles with Mother of 12 yr old for $2000

Methinks if this continues....it will start blowing up in RIAA's face (if it hasn't already).

From InternetWeek http://www.internetweek.com/security...cleID=14700550

Mother Of 12-Year-Old Settles With RIAA For $2,000

By TechWeb News

Just a day after suing 261 alleged file swappers, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) settled its first lawsuit Tuesday when a mother of a New York City 12-year-old agreed to pay $2,000 in exchange for the group dropping its case.

According to reports in the New York Post and other established area news organizations, including several television stations, the mother of Brianna LaHara, a pre-teen who lives in a New York City Housing Authority apartment, settled with the RIAA after being served with the suit.

"We understand now that file sharing the music was illegal," said Sylvia Torres, Brianna's mother, in a statement distributed by the RIAA. "You can be sure Brianna won't be doing it anymore."

Critics of the RIAA's tactics were quick to respond. During a Senate Judiciary hearing Tuesday, Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) asked RIAA President Cary Sherman, "Are you headed to junior high schools to round up the usual suspects?"

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If they continue to go after inner-city 12-year-olds, I hope it does more than just blow up in their faces.
    :321:
    :k>'> xx)

The spineless bastards won't go after the real media pirates in the far East.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

David,

Your post summed up my feelings on the matter exactly. There are a lot bigger fish to go after. Their greed seems insatiable.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Boy, they should feel REALLY good about themselves looking in the mirror in the mornings! Did they take her lunch money too?

If it weren't for hurting the artists, most of which I doubt support this tyranny, I'd swear off buying music altogether, and just enjoy what I already own or buy used.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

An exec at Grokster is trying to arrange to pay the fine for them.

BB

Comment

• Neal_C
            • Feb 2003

I have never purchased a music cd in my life and now I see why. Don't take that the wrong way, I don't use file sharing to get music either, I'm just content with listening to the radio in the car or other people's cd's if they have them. I don't have much time to listen to music at home.

I agree that piracy is a problem, but fining 12 year olds is not the answer. And no matter what the RIAA does, file sharing will live on.

I hope the RIAA can prove these people are the downloaders before they go off slapping lawsuits around....cause lets ponder this.

My neighbor has a wireless connection that he doesn't encrypt and is currently open. What is stopping real pirates from going around finding open wireless connections and using those people's IP addresses to download music?

Sure, the RIAA can see what IP address the traffic is flowing to but what they don't see is the person out in their car who is tied into that persons connection and doing the illegal activity.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"