X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aeromos
    • Jun 2003

HSU vs SVS

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some of your thoughts on these 2 sub manufacturers. I'm hoping some of you have had experience with both and have decided on one. What did you like more with the one you chose that made you pick it over the other? How are they for both HT and music? Please also list the pros and cons of both subs.

Aeromos
    Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
    My Collection
    Aeromos
    My Collection
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Are you sold on just these two or can I make another suggestion?

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

If I coulda got my wife to agree to an SVS I would have no doubt chosen one of their subs. She just couldn't live with the big tube ornament in the corner. Small square box, okay with her. She just didn't want something sticking up like a sore thumb. Picky, picky, picky. I can't see where it would have made much of a difference, but hey, gotta please the wife.

At the time (a little over a year ago) I did a lot of research on SVS and HSU. I can tell you, as you may have already learned, there are a lot of happy people with SVS subs. I don't know of a more talked about sub on the market. In all the sub test I've read the SVS ranks at or near the top.

We have a few SVS'ers here so maybe they'll chime in and give you some info.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Both offer great products for the money. SVS has a couple of "box" models now. I'd also give a looksee at Adires and ACI's, as these two internet companies also have a good rep.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• spiffnme
          • Apr 2003

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

It's rare to find anyone who has heard both, because generally once someone orders either a Hsu or SVS, their subwoofer shopping is over, and they're pleased as heck with their purchase. I've only once heard of someone buying one, and returning it for the other. A fellow Axiom Audio board member bought an SVS and traded it in for a Hsu VTF-2.

The general thought is the Hsu is tighter, and SVS is louder. But only slightly in either case.

I'd go with Hsu if for no other reason than he now offers free shipping. On a big heavy sub, that can save you some bucks.

Good luck - let us know what you end up with.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
          All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Given you're in canada I know first hand how expensive duty and shipping can be when ordering from the US so my suggestion is something you might not have given much thought to and that's to build your own sub. You might feel you don't have the skills or tools to do a decent job but that's where CreativeSound comes in with their EZ kits. If you scroll down the page a bit you"ll see a write up I did on their EZSub14 kit that uses a shiva and 150 watt amp. I'd suggest you go with their kit that uses the tempest and DT300 amp. You can ask them about finished boxes if you like but its also very easy to veneer if you use the iron on stuff or just paint it. Trust me this will easily keep up with the SVS's and HSU's and should be quite a bit cheaper ($700 for the one I'd pick shipped w/ tax incl)

Comment

• Scott S
              • Aug 2003

Another sub company you might think about is Acoustic Visions.
              I just bought a "Denali" with the Adire 15" Tumult driver - quite a sub.
              Kyle Richardson (owner) will create a design to fit your taste at a great price.

Scott Simmons
              Scott Simmons

Comment

• Aeromos
                • Jun 2003

Thanks for the input so far guys. But how are either one musically? Or do you guys mainly use them for HT? Obviously I have to consider this side as well as I'd like a great performer for concert DVD's.

Aeromos
                My Collection
                Aeromos
                My Collection

Comment

• efarstad
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jun 2001

I have dual SVS's and they mate with my Martin Logan SL3's wonderfully for music...and then of course rock for movies! 8) I spent hours tweaking the subs to go with my ML's and did comparisons back and forth between having them on and then off...let's just say that I finally got them so tuned in that you can't even tell the subs are on...but when the music deeps REALLY low (past 30hz...where the ML's cut off) the SVS's take over...and the results are great! Not too many CD's do that...but I found some fun one's!

But you have some excellent choices from the folks responses...I don't think you can go wrong any route you take...it probably comes down to good old resources $$$!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                  E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                  E-Cinema

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"