X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveF
    • Nov 2000

John Lennon fans come together

Hi Guys, I know this isn't the proper place to post this, but it's the first place I come to when I log on here. Upcoming next year will be John Lennon's 65th birthday, and to celebrate such an incredibly great person, a group of people have put together a petition to mark his b-day as a celebrated national holiday!!!!!!! I think it's a great idea !!! A LOT of signatures are needed to get this to be reality, there is a site to go to where you can give your vote/signature on the petition. This is very important I think, and it would be such a wonderful thing to happen. The site is
    www.Lovearth.com (capital L)
    Go to it and help this to happen. Peace SteveF

SteveF
    SteveF
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

Interesting concept. Lennon, no doubt gave a lot to us. His echos for Peace WORLDWIDE gave the world something to consider, and it did seem to make a noticable difference in attitudes.

Of course, the Beatles, what can you say about them that hasn't been said 10,000 times over. They created a generation, changed a generation, and the generation morned their breakup as something totally catastrophic. Each album it seemed, reflected a period in their life, like no other band in history. In fact, the Beatles are history. They molded and influenced performers more than perhaps any other musical influence in history. Even today, occasionally, I hear a particular lick on guitar, or a particular vocal that sets me in mind of the Beatles.

Not sure this will ever happen on the holiday. But probably true enough, that not many individuals political or otherwise, have had much more influence on people worldwide, than John Lennon and the Beatles did.

Of coures, by some, it wasn't considered a positive influence. But the timeless classic songs they did, should rank right up there with the best artists ever. Hey Jude, and Yesterday come immediately to mind, as well as Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance".

Lex

Comment

• DanB
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2000

Well- I know this won't go over well with some, but to have Lennons birthday christened a national holiday is absurd. Sure he was a great singer, songwriter, and was part of a group that helped define and change a generation...but a national holiday? The Monkees actually sold more records than the Beatles...do we give Davie a national holiday?
      I'd have a hard time justifying it, simply because you exclude many other great musicians and people who have accomplished milestones in their careers.

Comment

• Lexman
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2000

Dan, I actually had some similar thoughts about this, but didn't echo them here. I tried to keep a positive spin on this. If you notice, I didn't really say whether I thought it should be done or not. If you have one day of this type, next will be Jimmie Hendrix and Janice Joplin day. Then Lynard Skinard day. (another tragic story), The Allman Bros. That's why you really can't go down this road, Let Alone it be, "The Long and Winding Road".

But the Monkeys more LPs than the Beatles? That I find hard to believe.

Lex

Comment

• DanB
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2000

Lex-
          Well, believe it. I just watched a documentary on the Monkees a couple of weeks ago.
          I found it hard to believe, too.

Comment

• SteveF
            • Nov 2000

Heh Lexman, That was very nice to say. I agree 100% with you. And hopefully everyone will watch the two specials on the tube tonight, one on Lennon and a special on McCartney, Live from the Cavern Club. The Beatles will always be the best. I'm not a mad crazed fan, I use to be and my cousin had her own fan club. She was John another girl was Paul,etc. They even use to call each other John, Paul,etc. She got to see them SIX times. I could have gone every time, but my mother doesn't like my cousin and wouldn't let me go. I still remind her of this quite often, and still remind her that I'm still pissed about it !!
            She I guess thought she was keeping me away from bad things, but my cousin had nothing to do with the bad things!! She was quite the angel compared to me !! How's the shopping going?? I've got everything I want !!!! I just got a new sub !! And I love it. It's a Velodyne VA8100X. It's a small 8 incher with a 10" passive down firing radiator, which makes it very efficient. And let me tell you, this speaker is one amazing little sub. It's only 100 watts rms, but you sure could have fooled me. I've got the sub set at about half volume and on the receiver it's at about the same, depending of course on what I'm listening to. I get a kick out of these people who ask questions like, "How loud should I have my sub??"
            Give me a break, are these people stupid or deaf??
            I was in RS one day getting my SPL meter and they had the sub so loud it was rediculous. I told the salesman about it and he just shrugged his shoulders !!
            Jeesh, I sure did get off the subject didn't I !! Sorry about that. I get so carried away sometimes, I can go on and on and on and......!!
            Happy Holidays. Peace SteveF

SteveF
            SteveF

Comment

• Huskerduck
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2000

A little info just for you Lennon fans
              "In His Life: The John Lennon Story" will be broadcast in HDTV, this Sunday night, on NBC.

Mark

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
              Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"