SURVEY: In what ways has this Forum influenced you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

SURVEY: In what ways has this Forum influenced you?

I'm inviting all of you to give some positive feedback on this subject. From room design, purchase decisions to some setup guidelines. How about movies to watch or buy. Tell us how you started where are you today. Just let it all out. :T

Like Doug, I'll post at the end.

Thanks for joining!!

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
    CLIVE

• Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

There are a lot of forums out there with a lot of good information. What sets this forum apart for me is the friendly spirit. At times, other boards get too hostile with people digging in their heels too much on products they own or positions they take regarding audio theory. Here, it is more relaxed and casual with a more consistent bend toward being truly helpful.

As far as influencing me with regard to purchases, it has. Sometimes when I hear the gear being discussed here, my mouth begins to water not so much with envy, but I really, really love sonics. I can just close my eyes listening to music and get completely lost in it. When I hear of the way some equipment improves sound, I get the itch. Thus far though, I've only made one purchase directly as a result of my involvement here, that being Doug's Quantum cables, which I might have never heard about or noticed if not for visiting this site.

I just built my new HT completely in the last 1 1/2 years or so, so most my equipment is relatively new, but that doesn't mean I won't upgrade certain pieces in the relatively near future.

On the software side, I've definitely bought CD's and DVD's based on reviews by posters here.

I initially came here when I bought my Rotel 1066 pre-pro (Club Rotel) and I cannot overstate how much information I've gotten from Andrew and other posters there with regard to set up and fixing problems with the unit. I honestly believe that many of the posters there are much more aware of the current situation with Rotel products than most dealers.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Robbie
      • Aug 2000

Since I haven't changed my gear since I've joined this forum (do I get brownie points)... Oh wait I did buy a new TV... DARN... Ok you guys didn't influence me to much as that was purchased in town and selection is pretty slim at best. I did throw out some questions though and answers were helpfull. Anyways back to the original discussion at hand. I find myself in the software section more and more nowadays. I use the reviews to determine whether to watch/listen/buy or not. I find them more informative than the reviews in the papers as the folks on this forum are really in tune.

Robbie

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Interesting survey. Of course, as an owner, my perspectives may be a little different than some of yours.

I think it's taught me a few things about HT friendships. It's influenced me to care more about the people that I'm involved with on a daily basis, and not just about the gear. Sure, the gear is nice though. I'm sure it's influenced me there some. I've actually never spent as much on gear as I have since I've been at the Guide, lol. I think there's a definite connection.

I think it's influenced me to not care as much about how financially succesful as HTG is, as how much it contributes to others HT experiernces and enriches their lives. Maybe to the extreme at times. I could be a lot more businesslike with this place at times, I'm sure.

I think it's influenced me to be more aware of my cable market, who the people are that buy from me, and to care about their systems/lives, just as I try to care about yours. It's not just about selling cables any more than HTG is about only selling banner ads.

Lastly, though I don't post as much as I'd like to, in the media area, many of you have influenced me with reviews, what's coming lists, and all.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Jariten
          • Jun 2000

8)

Well..let's see...
          it's all Lex's fault !

When I first got myself into HT...
          I had 70cm Sony TV..(32")
          and I started to look into surround stuff....
          my first receiver was the Pioneer AVX-D3S which was the first unit with a DD decoder in it....and I bought the CLD-D704 Laserdisc player...
          then I needed all the speakers...
          and yadda yadda...

then wife and I moved to Japan...
          and at that time I was in another Forum but it degenerated into something weird because of blockheads (litteraly!)
          Then Lex said he wanted to set a Forum up himself...

I was already gathering info on what to buy going separates or not etc etc
          of course I did the mistake to get the Onkyo TX-DS939 which was supposedly THX certified...and I connected my M&K speakers...and notice that the Onkyo product was totally C__P !
          I got that re-imbursed...in full!
          then some members of the other forum moved to this one...and I started to follow this one...
          Where people seem to be more laid back....more family like .

So what has this forum brought to me?
          Humm spending a lot more....
          Enjoying it more too!

I'd say we should give a big hand to Lex and Matts that have set up this forum for all of us !

Let's enjoy it !

T.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I've also been influenced by the guide. Yes, with hardware purchase decisions, like everyone else, thinking about this product or that. I've got a few ideas for theater construction as well from various people saying different things about design or just showing off their own theaters.

But also like others here, I've probably been most influenced by the relationships here, meeting people and just talking about things. There isn't the censorship level here that I've found on other forums in regards to certain companies and products. I enjoy it!

CHRIS
            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Hmm my Denon 1600 purchase was mainly based on talk here (and else where) about DVD-A and the progressive scan features....Erik's glowing review of the Sanyo Z1 led me to choose that one and of course all the cat cables are from doug But as others have mentioned the biggest thing I've taken from this board is the numerous friends I've made arty:

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

Oops, I forgot that I also bought my Denon 1600 directly as a result of Andrew's posting of the sale at ECost.

Keith
                Keith

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                  Former Moderator
                  • Jan 2002

Jariten (Tony) I'm sorry to hear that you had not-so-good experience with the Onkyo. But It was nice to know you got some back-up at the end of the day. Good post!!

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I had to think about this one for a while before posting.

The Guide has influenced me in several ways and in varying degrees of magnitude. The smaller ways are in the physical realm. Thoughts on what hardware works well together, cabling , what makes a good speaker (thanks, DIY poobahs), music 'n movie recommendations and the like.

The larger influence has most definitely been on the soft/fuzzy side of things - the relationships built with the other members of the forums and the friendships that spring up out of those relationships. Those are the things that I take away from here on a daily basis. Sitting out in San Diego last week, I caught myself going "I wonder what Burke, Lex, Clive, Jon, George, John, Andrew, Erik etc. are doing?" That brought a small smile to my face. Conversely, I never catch myself at a conference thinking "I wonder if the Aerials would mate better with a Parasound C-1 pre/pro or a Lexicon" - those thoughts are compartmented until I take them out to play - but not the relationships.

Yeah, the biggest influence has been the friendships. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
                    Our "Theater"
                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

What TEX said... Yeah, baby.

BTW, I have also sat on my back deck on a weekend afternoon wondering what you guys are doing at that particular time. You guys are all so far away, but yet so close...

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

David that nearly made me cry :cry: ...its so true. I love meeting people I've talked to online...sitting having a drink with my online friends is a great feeling and I hope to one day meet a lot more of you. David maybe we'll have to have a drink together at next years ESRI conference as apparently I get to go next year:T

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

You guys are the BEST! (sniff) Can I get a hug?

BTW, David, the answer is the C1.

CHRIS
                          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Andrew, that would be GREAT!! :T It's on my calendar, bud.

Chris, somehow I KNEW you'd say that.

David - HTGuide flunky
                            Our "Theater"
                            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Aeromos
                              • Jun 2003

I haven't yet been influenced in a purchase as I'm in the process of upgrading. One definite thing I can say that I like about this forum however is that everyone is friendly and helpful. I also like the fact that there are guidelines to adhere to in order to be a member here. It creates a more positive atmosphere when you don't have guys bashing other members or brands to create arguments for the sake of having fun (their idea of fun).

My experience here so far has been great. I look forward in being a part of this little havana in the years to come. I hope that I'll soon be telling you guys the new purchases that I've made.

Aeromos
                              Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                              My Collection
                              Aeromos
                              Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                              My Collection

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"