• Show
Clear All
  • Eton
    • Jun 2006

Most Expensive Speakers

• impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

You know what's interesting about that, I'd bet anything that if you asked #3 on the list, they'd tell you #2 & #1 are overpriced :rofl:
    -Chuck

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by impala454
      You know what's interesting about that, I'd bet anything that if you asked #3 on the list, they'd tell you #2 & #1 are overpriced :rofl:
      When you are a billionaire anything goes!!! Think about the size of the rooms to listen to stuff like that!
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RenoReno2
        • Jan 2005

Funny Story

Was in a stereo shop in Downtown Chicago ordering a cable and I decided to browse around and I see this room that says do not enter without assistance. Of course, what do I do... Go in. I see the Goldmund Epilogues they are as cool as they look btw. Anyways, I'm checking them out admiring the speaker wire <at least 4 inches in diameter and the 4 amps they had powering each speaker. LMAO the sales man comes running in yelling "YOU CAN'T BE IN HERE ALONE" Of course my reply is oh sorry I didn't know. So after he calms down I proceed to ask him the costs of all this.. Each amp was like 75k, speaker wire is like 10k, speakers 130k a piece, preamp was like 250k. So of course my next question is can you play them? Lmao, salesman looked at me and said they don't turn on unless they see some cash.

All I have to say though is for the amount of money all this gear is it better do more than just play music!!! :W

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by RenoReno2
          Funny Story Was in a stereo shop in Downtown Chicago ordering a cable and I decided to browse around and I see this room that says do not enter without assistance. Of course, what do I do... Go in. I see the Goldmund Epilogues they are as cool as they look btw. Anyways, I'm checking them out admiring the speaker wire <at least 4 inches in diameter and the 4 amps they had powering each speaker. LMAO the sales man comes running in yelling "YOU CAN'T BE IN HERE ALONE" Of course my reply is oh sorry I didn't know. So after he calms down I proceed to ask him the costs of all this.. Each amp was like 75k, speaker wire is like 10k, speakers 130k a piece, preamp was like 250k. So of course my next question is can you play them? Lmao, salesman looked at me and said they don't turn on unless they see some cash.
          This dealer is pathetic as he doesn't even now that some people are loaded and pretend to just kick the tires

All I have to say though is for the amoun of money all this gear is it better do more than just play music!!! :W
          As I said when you have so much money that you don't know what to do with you just buy any thing, 747, $25M houses, boats, lamborginis and so on ......
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RenoReno2
            • Jan 2005

Well I did order a pair of $250 dollar xlr's and was contemplating on buying a projector they had marked down to 5k I guess that was a sign I wasn't gonna buy em. Even still I did make a purchase, you would have thought he would have played them to appease me

Comment

• impala454
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by wettou
              This dealer is pathetic as he doesn't even now that some people are loaded and pretend to just kick the tires
              Exactly. I know one day when I go to buy my 'vette or something else expensive, I'm going in some ragedy old shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops :T
              -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by impala454
                Exactly. I know one day when I go to buy my 'vette or something else expensive, I'm going in some ragedy old shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops :T
                I've heard the AvantGarde Trio Classico w/Basshorns and I have to say I was more impressed by several other sets of speakers at the A/V show--at 36,000$, 5000$ and 3500$ respectively (the 36,000$ pair--far more than I would ever spend unless I was in the MULTI-million dollar/year category--were the best sounding speakers I've ever heard).

As for your 'vette plans--true story. Years ago, I sold cars to pay tuition for grad school and one day, my manager told me a story about his early days (in the 80s) selling at a GM dealership. A guy came in at 3pm (in Montreal) on a hot summer day wearing an open button-down short-sleeve shirt, a Speedo bathing suit, Brill Creamed hair, with a wallet in hand and flip-flop beach sandals. NO ONE wanted to talk to this guy as he examined the Caddys. My manager, a rookie, decided to talk to him on a lark. One hour later, he'd sold the most expensive Caddy on the lot (a fully loaded Allende convertible) for sticker price. Still, to this day, his single biggest commission (and I've seen the polaroid taken with the guy next to his car in the showroom).

Comment

• impala454
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2007

Awesome... I think I might skip the speedo though :rofl:
                  -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

It t'weren't pretty. :E

Comment

• H.Donald
                      • Aug 2004

I can't imagine a salesman not turning on a system,based on what?...your appearance???

Even in my everyday disheveled look,I had a guy light up some 40,000 dollar Grand Dali's for me....and I am sure he knew I wasn't going to buy them,as I had just purchased some Rotel equipment.

Comment

• GregLett
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by H.Donald
                        I can't imagine a salesman not turning on a system,based on what?...your appearance???

Even in my everyday disheveled look,I had a guy light up some 40,000 dollar Grand Dali's for me....and I am sure he knew I wasn't going to buy them,as I had just purchased some Rotel equipment.
                        Most folks who have not experienced it, thinks it can't happen. I had a salesman
                        refuse to turn on a system with the Paradigm S8 I wanted to hear.
                        It surprised me, because I had never experienced it before.
                        I was going to walk out, but instead I insisted that he turned it on, and he finally did.
                        Greg

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by GregLett
                          Most folks who have not experienced it, thinks it can't happen. I had a salesman
                          refuse to turn on a system with the Paradigm S8 I wanted to hear.
                          It surprised me, because I had never experienced it before.
                          I was going to walk out, but instead I insisted that he turned it on, and he finally did.
                          I would have walked out and I would not hesitate to write a letter to his boss explaining that I planned to become a source of bad PR for them unless I was invited back and allowed to audition the system in a manner consistent with their auditions for anyone they deemed likely to purchase such a system.

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

In AZ that really never happened to me but here in PA its like everytime I go to a store I rarely get help.

Comment

• GregLett
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by Ovation
                              I would have walked out and I would not hesitate to write a letter to his boss explaining that I planned to become a source of bad PR for them unless I was invited back and allowed to audition the system in a manner consistent with their auditions for anyone they deemed likely to purchase such a system.
                              I made him turn it on, listened to one track, then walked out. I called Paradigm who didn't seem too concerned.
                              Greg

Comment

• GregLett
                                • May 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                In AZ that really never happened to me but here in PA its like everytime I go to a store I rarely get help.
                                That seems to be the trend in the NY area. They are very few accommodating dealers. Even the ones you have purchased from before.
                                Greg

Comment

• RenoReno2
                                  • Jan 2005

So anyone seen any other speakers on that list?

Comment

• whoaru99
                                    • Jul 2004

Funny Story

Was in a stereo shop in Downtown Chicago ordering a cable and I decided to browse around and I see this room that says do not enter without assistance. Of course, what do I do... Go in. I see the Goldmund Epilogues they are as cool as they look btw. Anyways, I'm checking them out admiring the speaker wire <at least 4 inches in diameter and the 4 amps they had powering each speaker. LMAO the sales man comes running in yelling "YOU CAN'T BE IN HERE ALONE" Of course my reply is oh sorry I didn't know. So after he calms down I proceed to ask him the costs of all this.. Each amp was like 75k, speaker wire is like 10k, speakers 130k a piece, preamp was like 250k. So of course my next question is can you play them? Lmao, salesman looked at me and said they don't turn on unless they see some cash.

All I have to say though is for the amount of money all this gear is it better do more than just play music!!! :W
                                    I'd have probably given him a line... "Oh well, I'm sure someone else sells this stuff...and I've got plenty of time to find out who.", and then walked out.
                                    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"