X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KS
    • Jun 2002

Ultimate Video Tweak-Better Than ISF

I just discovered the best Video Tweak ever. It can offer a huge difference in the quality of your video system.

I had my Hitachi 65xwx20b calibrated by Gregg Lowen who did a great job. The colors were great, the brightness much improved. The picture however just wasn't what I wanted and I've been thinking about it for some time.

Last week a light bulb went off in my mind and I went to my local optometrist. Sorry for the intrigue but I couldn't resist. Yesterday I picked up my new glasses and WOW, what a nice world. I can read street signs from more than six feet away and my Hitachi looks spectacular.

I'll probably be dead in the next few days as I have progressive bifocals and the world is a fish bowl. But when I find the correct spot to look through it really is nice.

I guess bad eyesight and age are similar in that they sneak up on you gradually. Can't say I like either one but being able to see really is nice.

Hope I brought a smile to your Sunday!

Ken
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Good lenses make a big difference! I take out my contacts and wear my glasses optimized for distance viewing when I go to a large commercial movie theater, since the image with the contacts would invariably be "softer". (They are optimized for computer use, with adequate but not "perfect" distance vision.)

You've hit on something that is fundamentally imnportant to our enjoyment of HT and music listening -- keeping our own "equipment" in top operating condition. The right optical prescrtiption can makea HUGE difference in our visual perception. Keeping our ears clean (no wax build up) and safe from prolonged overly-loud noises helps a lot with our aural perception. And in general, healthful eating and sufficient rest add to our ability to enjoy this hobby to its fullest. (Hard to concentrate on a movie or the music if wracked with indigestion, or about to nod off from being too tired.) :>)

Thanks for sharing your glasses story!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I had a similar experience, Ken. It involved a cataract that wasn't quite ripe for surgery so I had to have glasses with the lens stronger on one than the other for distance. The good news is after I have surgery later this year I will be able to throw the glasses away. In the meantime it was sure great to be able to see things the way they should be seen. But now as the time for surgery nears, I am finding that the glasses no longer work their magic as well as they did a few months back.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Uncle Clive
        Former Moderator
        • Jan 2002

:rf :rf

Just too much!

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
        CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• KS
          • Jun 2002

Good luck with the surgery George! I could say it's routine but when it's your eyes (or any other part of your body) it's anything but routine.

The optometrist said I had two cataracts starting but they were far from large enough to even think about, easy for her to say.

This aging thing sucks!

I'm serious about this fish bowl thing from the progressive bifocals, when does it go away?

Ken

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Hi, Ken,
            My glasses didn't have a fishbowl thing, but one eye saw images smaller than the other and that took a little getting used to. Good luck with the glasses. Yeah, aging does suck.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Great tweak, any simular suggestion for the audio portion?

Ear de-waxing candles..., Q-tips, sound blocking head phones for a week?

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Ear de-waxing definitely helps, Bing.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"