X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pez
    • May 2004

Switch to digital TV question

When TV goes to digital I get the fact that people who use an antenna as thier only source will be affected but what about these situations:

1) You get your signal from the cable company but and its an older TV and DO NOT use a set top box, what happens then? What if you TV is a digital TV?

2) Same as above but you do have a box?

3) Same as 2 but you have digital cable?

I guess what I am trying to figure out is who excatly needs to get the converter box that they are giving rebates for? And will you need this converter box in addition to the cable company's set top box?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

If you have an old analog TV with no built in digital tuner you WILL need a digital set top box of some sort. If you already have a STB/digital cable you should be fine. If you have a digital TV with built in digital tuner you'll be fine. (Though you may not be able to use all of the extra functions your cable provider has like VOD/PPV)
    Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

1) depends on what the cable co. decides to do. TV going digital only affects OTA and the stations. The cable companies can still choose to carry analog signals over cable, though I expect most would switch entirely over to digital to free up bandwidth for more shopping channels.

2/3) If you have a digital box, you will be all set. If you have an analog box, and the cable co. stops carrying analog signals, you'll have to replace it with a digital box.

The rebates are for OTA converter boxes. So it's for those who use rabbit ears or roof antennas with analog TVs.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"