X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Any HTGuide newcomers out there?

Hey, if your new to the Guide and want to get into the nucleur family here, tell us about yourself, your system, hobbies, career?

Where you live? (please, no street address, or Andrew can get a satellite fix on you, lol)

If your wife's good looking or your girlfriend (even if your married), we like to google over the ladies too. 8O bakini pics are nice, you get the idea. :LOL: Well, most of us like to see them anyway. I can't say there's nobody here that doesn't play for the other team.

We want to get to know you, so tell us what you got, what got you into this crazy hobby, but please don't show us anything to personal. :LOL:

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • barona
    • Jan 2003

Well,
    I've been a member for a month or so and have been into HT for a while. I'm a project manager for a commercial glass company in Chicago. Like most everyone I'm working on a budget and have been adding on slowly. I bought a townhouse a year ago so my room configuration changed which is usually a nightmare but I'm still tweeking.
    The system is as follows:
    Sony KP43HT20 HDTV ready
    Rotel RSP-1066
    Panny DVD-RP56 progressive
    Pioneer PD-1005 100 CD Changer
    Philips DSX-5350R Sat. (PIP)
    RCA DS4290RE Sat. w/UltimateTV
    Carver 5-Channel THX 125 watt amp
    Paradigm 1200 powered sub
    Polk 500k/s bipole/dipole surrounds
    Klipsch KG2.5 main
    Klipsch KV2 center

I have a girlfriend and am thinking about marriage but I'm also thinking about finishing my basement which means I see a PJ in my future, probably either the Sony HS10 or Panny L300.

ahhh, decisions decisions.......

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Ahhh, Barona is a FP kinda guy. :T

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

Hey, if your new to the Guide and want to get into the nucleur family here, tell us about yourself, your system, hobbies, career?
        Hmmm...Lex spells it like George Bush says it.

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• awtryau89
          • Dec 2002

Fairly new. I am a former DT'er. I lurked here for about 6 months looking at the Rotel site for info. Then Ricky got me to participate a little more.

Eric Awtry
          War Eagle
          Eric Awtry
          War Eagle

Comment

• awtryau89
            • Dec 2002

Well, I forgot to post my details:
            Married w/3 Kids
            Live in Atlanta, GA (great city)
            Work for Hershey Foods (yes the Chocolate Company and I can get samples for anyone that needs them)
            Hobbies include; Golf, Golf and more Golf, Custom Golf Club Building, Youth Athletics Coaching (I coach my son in Baseball and Football), Auburn University Sports (Season Ticket Holder for B'Ball and Football and yes we will be in the run for a National Championship in 2003)

As for my system, it is a consant state of upgrade. But right now it includes:

Aragon Soundstage Preamp (Anyone want to buy this?)
            Aragon Stage One Preamp (NIB, Anyone want to buy this?)
            Chiro C-500 and C-200 Amps
            Philips SA962 DVD/SACD Player
            Mits HSU-762 S-VHS
            Sony SatHD100 HD DSS
            XBOX
            Panamax Max1000
            Onix Reference 1 (L/R)
            Onix Reference Center (On its Way)
            NHT 6.3 ci Ceiling Speakers x 4 as Rears and Sides
            Earthquake Supernova MKII Subs x 2 (Anyone want to buy these?)
            Cabling from Homegrown Audio, Tara Labs and Monster.
            Toshiba 56h81 HDTV (ISF'd)
            My next step will be to get into a Meridian processor.

Let me know if anything interestes you.

Eric Awtry
            War Eagle
            Eric Awtry
            War Eagle

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Barona, thank God we got to you in time. Run man, run with the wind at the M word! :LOL: Right Sili?

Nice system you've got. Be sure to post details in Spaced Out if you decide to redo that basement!

Eric, you will have to send all samples to me for approval. Then i will ship them out to the guys. (2 for me, 1 for them, 2 for me, 1 for them, oh, what the heck, postage is high, i might as well just keep them all. )

Nice system, sounds like you've been upgrading fervently. :T

Sounds like a good life you got going there in HotLanta.

We're not to far away when me in Knoxville. about 4 hours. Ever up this way, give me a shout. Now about those cables...

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
              Doug

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Work for Hershey Foods (yes the Chocolate Company and I can get samples for anyone that needs them)
                You're my hero! I'm a chochololic. We visited the Hersey factor near ottawa last year

As for me I've been married for 5 years and have our first baby due on april 12th so I imagine things are about to get interesting for me

My gear's listed in my profile but its usualy out of date the day after I post it

Comment

• Snow
                  • Feb 2003

Hello all,

I just joined a month or so ago, and have had an interest in A/V equipment since I was in high school, I have just recently begun to explore the high end products and am looking to make some major upgrades over the next year.

I am not married yet, so I keep telling myself that I need to get all my big ticket items purchased before that happens.
                  I make my living as a nurseryman (growing/selling trees) in Minnesota.

At the moment I have:

27" JVC television
                  JVC RX-509V reciever (about 10 years old)
                  Sony DVP-S530D DVD player
                  JVC HR-VP612U VCR
                  Sony CDP-CX355 300-CD Changer
                  JVC XL-F115 5-CD Carousel
                  Sennheiser HD-600 headphones
                  X-Box
                  Some Crappy Old Speakers (One of my next upgrades)

For upgrades over the next year, I am considering:
                  Rotel 1066 preamp
                  Rotel 1075 amp
                  Paradigm Speakers (although I just saw an ad for an auction in town a couple of weekends from now with some Klipsch on it- If I can get a good deal I might try them out first.)
                  Meta-42 Headphone Amp (ordering this week) I listen to my headphones quite a bit since I live in an apartment.

Later, Snow

DVD Collection
                  DVD Collection

Comment

• Karl Englebright
                    • Jun 2002

Well, let's see...

I've been into this "sickness" since the end of '97 when I saw my first demo of what Dolby Digital could do in the home. It was a Laserdisk of ID 4 and I was blown away! I happened to get a bonus at work around that time so I started to do my research on what I needed to buy to put together a halfway decent HT. I ended up getting a Hitachi Ultravision 50" RPTV, A Sherwood Newcastle R-945 receiver, a full complement of Def Tech speakers, and the venerable Panasonic A-110 DVD player. Funny, I never did buy a LD player. BTW, the demo I saw was at the Bellevue, WA Magnolia Hifi. I'll never forget that!

The only things I've replaced since are my TV set (it is now a Mits 55805) and the DVD player (which still works as our bedroom player) and I added a Dish 6000 HDTV receiver.

I have been itching to go to separates for more than a year now but something always seems to get in the way! Of course, the Rotel 1066 and the 1095 amp are in the running, but I'm considering Outlaw also.

I've been happily married for 16 years (she loves my ht hobby)
                    And have a 9 yo daughter.

As far as work goes, I'm your typical network administrator geek. Always playing with servers, routers and firewalls...

BTW, I live in Vancouver. No, not the one in Canada. The one in the southern portion of Washington State! :LOL:

Comment

• efarstad
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jun 2001

Karl, come about 2 hours or so north and you'll drive right past my house!!!! Let me know when you're swingin' by next...btw, I've spend many an hour in that Mag store in Bellevue!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                      E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                      E-Cinema

Comment

• awtryau89
                        • Dec 2002

Lex,
                        I had no idea you are in Knoxville. I lived in Johnson City for 2 years in 98-00. I am very familiar with the area and flirted heavily with a district manager's job in Knoxville over the past few months but decided to stay in Atlanta. I am in Knoxville every few months as I have to check up on my Kroger stores up there. I am a National Account Manager for Kroger with Hershey so be sure and shop at Kroger and buy lots of Hershey product so I can keep my job and keep buying audio equipment and keep posting on these forums and....well its all a vicious cycle!!! Where do you shop up there? I purchased some Acurus gear from Statement AV but most of my dealings were with Mr. Toad's in JC. That is where I first heard a Lexicon Processor in 1998 with Rotel amps. I was in heaven and that was what my system was up until 2 months ago. Anyway its a small world.

Eric Awtry
                        War Eagle
                        Eric Awtry
                        War Eagle

Comment

• Karl Englebright
                          • Jun 2002

Hey Erik!

Oh, I know Puyallup!. I used to live in Bonney Lake. Been to many a State Fair!

BTW, isn't there a Magnolia HF by the Tacoma Mall?

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Why yes, yes there is one by the Tacoma mall. (greetings from a fellow Puyallupian)

I think it's key to get your significant other interested in home movies as well. Who DOESN'T enjoy a good movie when the experience is right? It brings out the kid in all of us. Getting her interest makes it easier to get approval for projects and toys.

CHRIS
                            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Eduardo
                              Moderator emeritus
                              • Jun 2002

Hello everyone. I've been a member here little over six month and found this site to be the best. A newbie to the hobby, so I tend to read more than post. Just married, 4 months and bought a house in Raleigh, NC; so my life is very exciting.

My system is not as refined as some but its always growing.

Zenith 27"
                              Sony STR-DE835
                              Sony CDP-CX400
                              Sony DVP-650D
                              Sony SLV-799
                              Sony RM-AV2100
                              Klipsh SB-1 (mains)
                              Klipsh SC-1 (Center)
                              JBL satellites (Surrounds)
                              147 L Shiva Sonosub tuned to 18 htz (PE250 Amp)
                              XBOX

The next project is to build a set of front speakers. Should be starting that in the next 6 months.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

Cool Eric, well, we will have to get together sometime. Well, I shop at Kroger sometimes, but also Food City. Oh, you meant Audio video, lol.

Well, suffice it to say, I've shopped everywhere over time. I've driven as far as Virginia for Proceed gear, when we didn't have a local Proceed dealer. I've bought Sonus faber, Lovan, and an Elite DVD changer from statement, and ops: AQ cables at one time, in the past. My RPTV, TiVo, another DVD changer and 2 subs, bedroom speakers came from NOW A/V. I've also bought over the net several pieces and will buy a few more that way as well.

This is a nice thread, glad I thought of it. People finding others in their back yard almost. :LOL: I see one of you in my backyard, your gonna get your ;s@ shot full of buckshot. :LOL:

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                Doug

Comment

• Kevin_McC
                                  • Jan 2003

Another new member to the guide.

The system consists of:
                                  Lexicon MC-1
                                  Sony TAP-9000es
                                  Rotel RB970BX Phono preamp
                                  Panasonic RP-91
                                  Sony SCD-CE775 CD/SACD player
                                  Pioneer PL12D Turntable(soon to be replaced)
                                  Harman Kardon Signature 2.1 amps (X2)
                                  SoundStream M2 Monoblock amps for subs
                                  Klipsch RF-5 Mains
                                  Klipsch RC-7 Center
                                  Klipsch RS-3 sides
                                  Klipsch RF-3 rears
                                  12" PE DVC DIY subs (X2)
                                  Mitsubishi 65857 RPTV

Marital staus is divorced. I have a six year old son and a girlfriend. Currently I'm unemployed and live in Manassas Virginia.

My main hobby is messing with home theater, reading the forums, tinkering with tube gear and this summer I hope to get back into stargazing with the telescope.

Comment

• cfox
                                    • Jan 2003

Lex:

I recently joined HT Guide due to Ricky's email at DT Forum where I'd been a member and really enjoyed it. I like most people was sad to see it go into to the dumper. I missed the interaction with everyone, learned a lot and really enjoyed Harv when he would go into his very long/detailed, easy to understand epistles about electronics.

I've been an audio nut since college (early 70's). My first "real" system was a Pioneer 636 Receiver (a whopping 35 wpc) with a nice set of Advent speakers and turntable (forgot the brand). That system was with me until the early 90's when it was replaced with a new Pioneer receiver and Cambridge Soundworks speakers. About six years ago I made a major upgrade to B&W 805's (Matrix) across the front, Velodyne HGS 12 Sub, Marantz 65SE CD player, and Paradigm Micro speakers for surrounds with Kimber 4VS speaker cables. A Yamaha 2092 is driving this set-up currently.

I'm a California native but grew up in S.W. Washington State. I currently live in San Diego and work for San Diego Gas and Electric. I've been with them 20 years and have held a variety of postitions in engineering, customer service, regulatory and now marketing.

My other hobbies are classic cars (I currently have a 1965 Ford Falcon Convertible) and road cycling. I have two road bikes hanging in my garage that are worth more than my 92 Toyota Camry.

I've been married for the last five years to Vicki (my gorgeous redhead.) She doesn't share my interest in home theatre but loves to listen music and enjoys the movies. We have two kids (one in college/one almost in college), two dogs and three cats.

I really like the site Lex and the way its laid out. I've been over at club Rotel a lot lately getting more info on the Rotel 1066!

Chip

Comment

• Lex
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Apr 2001

Kevin, bummer on the unemp and divorce. Goodluck getting a new job soon.

What part of VA is your town near? Glad you made it to the Guide!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                      Doug

Comment

• Kevin_McC
                                        • Jan 2003

Hi Lex,

I'm in the D.C. suburbs of Northern Va., approx. 15 miles away from Dulles airport. Go west on 66 from D.C. and exit on 28 south it'll take you straight into Manassas.

I got a question for you. Did you build 3.0 Cu. ft or so box subs with dual 6 inch ports a while ago and had the build instructions on a website?

Comment

• Lex
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Apr 2001

Ahh, ok, your a good ways away form me then. You know VA comes within about 125 miles of my home, but at the Bristol line, Abingdon, etc...

Sure, the instructions are a bit elementary, and I know I had photos of the internal bracing somewhere, I'll look for those soon...

Go to my personal web site, then click on the subs in the left frame.

These subs do a pretty awesome job with a mere 200 watts X 2, or around 320 X 2 @ 4 ohms.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                          Doug

Comment

• Kevin_McC
                                            • Jan 2003

Yeh, it's a good distance away.

I remember looking at your site a while back (2 years?) when I was considering the idea of building subs. I think your site was one of the motivating factors that drove me to do it and I'm glad I did. I used the 3cu.ft boxes on Adire's site with a 4" port. Thanks for the motivation.

Comment

• David Meek
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Shoot First Lex
                                              This is a nice thread, glad I thought of it. People finding others in their back yard almost. :LOL: I see one of you in my backyard, your gonna get your ;s@ shot full of buckshot. :LOL:

Well, it's good to see that famed Southern hospitality at work. . . .
                                              :a>'>

David - HTGuide flunky
                                              Our "Theater"
                                              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Apr 2001

glad to be of assistance Kevin!

lol David. :LOL:

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                                Doug

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                  • Jan 2002

Originally posted by That War Eagle fella
                                                  Hobbies include; Golf, Golf and more Golf, Custom Golf Club Building
                                                  So I suppose you'd love to have the pretty Masters Tickets lying on my desk here? lol

Of course these are "Roll Tide" Masters Tix anyway so they wouldn't work for you.

Welcome to htguide, (even if you are an Awbarn fan).

Welcome to barona, Karl, Kevin, and Chip as well.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Chuck G
                                                    • Feb 2003

I am old timer from the DT forum days as well. I recognized a few handles as well.

My system.....
                                                    Sony TA-E9000es (yes still have it)
                                                    Sony TA-P9000es (why I still have above )
                                                    Sherbourn 5/1500 amp
                                                    B&K St1400 amp
                                                    NHT VT2 mains
                                                    NHT VT1.2 rear
                                                    NHT VS2 center
                                                    Technics Bd22 turntable
                                                    Creek OBH-8 phono stage
                                                    Onkyo DV-SP800 DVD player
                                                    Pioneer 504d LD player
                                                    JVC S-vhs VCR
                                                    RCA DSS receiver

Chuck
                                                    Chuck

Comment

• Lex
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Apr 2001

Somebody say Masters tix? 8O 8O 8O

I haven't been since 91, :cry:

Chuck, nice system, and welcome!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                                      Doug

Comment

• Citizen Kane
                                                        • Jan 2003

Hi, Kane here. I registered here after seeing Ricky’s letter over at DTF. Like others I am sad to see DTF go and gained a tremendous amount of knowledge there. However, I reckon we have a worthy successor to DTF right here.
                                                        I live at the southern tip of Africa. Basically that means I get to look on in envy at some of the gear only available to you guys in the “1st World”. My equipment is listed in my profile and like all of you it is on the constant upgrade path. Next up has to be a decent pre amp for my two channel requirements. The projector is a rental and I am keen to get my own, possibly the Infocus X1, unless of course you guys know of a better buy in the same price bracket.
                                                        I am married and have a two year old son who equates the tactile parts of a B&W 7NT speaker with pain and suffering. Job wise I wear two hats, I am the Admin Manager at a law firm and on the side I have a small company that custom builds PC’s, mostly for the Lan Party crowd. Who has time for hobbies? This is serious. :W

Habe ad alius ad ait immoderatio
                                                        Habe ad alius ad ait immoderatio

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by On his firstess postest Chuck G
                                                          My system.....
                                                          Sony TA-E9000es (yes still have it)
                                                          I still have mine too Chuck G. I just can't seem to part with it, although I know I would probably enjoy one of those Rotel's.

Looks like we are beginning to get several former DT members. Welcome Chuck G and Citizen Kane (I like that name!).

Originally posted by This former DTF member
                                                          I reckon we have a worthy successor to DTF right here.
                                                          No doubt there are some quality guys here with no problems.... I don't know about DT but this is by far the friendliest HT forum I've found. (Friendliest forum period for that matter!)

Alrighty Kane, do we have ourselves a legal advisor on board???

These are just practice rounds Lex. No badges. I don't ever go but I understand it is always fun.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Lex
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Apr 2001

I guess my Friday round from 92 will go down in the books as the only regulation round attended, unless something drastic happens to change that. You can rest assured that I made the absolute most of it. Standing at Greenside on 18 when Jack Niclaus came walking to the green made it all worthwhile. There were other nice moments, like following the winner that year from tee to green on 18 step for step from the tee to the green. Standing greenside at 14 when Mark Brooks ball vered to the right, and came to rest right in front of my feet. Officials pushed the crowd back, and I was standing directly in front of Brooks. I could hear every blade of grass swish, I had the birds eye seat. Pretty cool!

Welcome guys, we appreciate you all coming over to join us!

lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                                            Doug

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"