X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PSUfan
    • May 2004

Wait for the Panny BD50?

I have been reading many different threads on blu-ray players and audio connections. I consider myself an avid fan of HT, with slightly better than novice understanding of the numerous options for connections, trouble shooting, etc. However, this audio connection is somewhat confusing.

I have a rotel1068. From what I understand the Panny bd50 will be able to decode the new audio formats. That would mean that I would hook up the player through the 5.1 outputs and into the rotel 1068 5.1 inputs. Making my rotel 1068 just a unit to adjust the volume with? Is this the correct thought process and would this provide me with the best possible sound quality.

I currently have the Panny bd30 hooked up via the coaxial cable for audio and hdmi for video. I'm just purchased stereo connects to hook it up via the 5.1. My thoughts are that I would just eliminate the coaxial cable at that time because from what I understand, the Panny will decode the DD and DTS and transmit through the 5.1 connections.

I guess that my problem is I have no interest in upgrading the 1068 to the 1069 at this time. I just bought the panny bd30, yesterday, and I'm very impressed with the picture quality and audio improvements. But from my readings, the bd50 will be released possibly at the end of July and will be an improvement over the bd30. I just would like to understand how I would hook it up and if there will be better sound quality via the 5.1 connections.

Somewhat confused,
    Shan
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Yes in your case you'd just use the analog 5.1 outputs on the BD 50 -> 1068. As far as which sounds better, pre-pro decoding or BD50 decoding, I can't help you there, but have seen the arguments from both sides and it seems like a wash.
    -Chuck

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

The DMP-BD50 would be a better choice with the RSP-1069 (I know you said you didn't want to upgrade the preamp. I'm just including that as a reference.). It would probably be the better choice with the RSP-1068 as well. The only thing that remains to be seen with the DMP-BD50 is whether or not it has any bass management, speaker delay, and channel level with the internal decoder. The only player I've seen that does that correctly is the Denon DVD-3800BDCI at $2000.00US. I hope that helps.

Go Spartans!!!

Eric

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
        The DMP-BD50 would be a better choice with the RSP-1069 (I know you said you didn't want to upgrade the preamp. I'm just including that as a reference.). It would probably be the better choice with the RSP-1068 as well. The only thing that remains to be seen with the DMP-BD50 is whether or not it has any bass management, speaker delay, and channel level with the internal decoder. The only player I've seen that does that correctly is the Denon DVD-3800BDCI at $2000.00US. I hope that helps. Eric
        The other option is Sony BDP-550 Blu-Ray Player

Move over, PS3, Sony BDP-550 Blu-Ray Player ($500; Fall 2008) The slim, blue-faced player offers

- support for Blu-Ray 2.0 spec,
        - Bonus View PiP
        - BD-Live
        - features a 1GB storage device
        - 1080/60p and 24p True Cinema output,
        - 7.1 channel Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, dts-HD High Resolution Audio, and dts-HD Master Audio decoding and bit-stream output,
        - 7.1 channel analog audio output
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"