X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Blu-ray makes big profits for Lions Gate

This story is about Lions Gate and the profit it is making of catalogue titles and new releases but I'm sure the situation applies to all studios. I won't expect to see lower priced new releases any time soon. Read the story here:

My Homepage!
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Nice article. I'm assuming when the guy changes his revenue predictions from 400 to 419 million, he's meaning that 19 million is attributed to blu-ray and not the full 419 million?

I'm in the camp (well maybe its just me I don't know) that believes you get what you pay for w/media. You can buy a highly compressed music album off the internet for $8, or you can buy the full blown physical album at the store for $15. Same goes with movies. You can buy the 720x480 DVD for $15, or the 1920x1080 BD for $30. Of course hopefully the prices will come down, but I can't get all bent out of shape over it when I paying for something that's so much higher in quality.
    -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Majority of the movies I see and buy now are about 24.99 I don't think thats bad at all. Although I'd feel much more inclined to buy more movies if they were 19.99

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Since DVD's seemed to naturally settle around $12-15 for a reasonably priced, good movie, I feel that $19.99 is a reasonable price for BD. I do think they're overpriced right now, but from the beginning, both HD-DVD and BD have said that the higher disc prices were because of the smaller, growing market.

Of course, the flip side of that is that prices should drop as the market grows. We'll have to see.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D

Of course, the flip side of that is that prices should drop as the market grows. We'll have to see.
          The market would grow much faster if they lowered the prices. Obviously they have room to lower prices and still make a good profit. And increased production would also lower their per unit cost. Look at what happened to dvd. Whe it first came out it was priced like Blu-ray today. Then they started to price new release dvds at the same price as vhs tapes and the format took off like a rocket. Oh, prices will come down on Blu eventually, but I'd just like to see it happen a little faster. After all I'm just an old codger on a fixed income... :P
          My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

As far as pricing on HD/Blu-Ray goes, I'm enjoying DeepDiscount's website.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Yes, Deep Discount had a pretty good BD sale last Friday.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• CRIMSON PEARL
                • Mar 2008

I still remember when Laser Discs were king for quality. They were priced at $90 and up. look at the quality you get comparing BD to LD. I won't pay more than about $6 for a DVD these days, The first few BD I bought I payed almost $35 ea. Now if it is not on my must have list I won't pay more than about $25. COSTCO's has BD's for about $20 (small selection though). I just bought Clockwork Orange there. Crazy movie. :E

Comment

• brendon
                  • Aug 2004

At least if there is decent margins in it the manufacturers may get some more releases happening so far I find the range available to be dissapointing especially as quite a few of the films released are not films that I would not pay a premium to see in Hi Def ie films that are spectaculars rather than talkies.
                  Brendon

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by brendon
                    At least if there is decent margins in it the manufacturers may get some more releases happening so far I find the range available to be dissapointing especially as quite a few of the films released are not films that I would not pay a premium to see in Hi Def ie films that are spectaculars rather than talkies.
                    Brendon
                    I agree and was very disappointed that at least two new releases I wanted to own on Blu-ray are only releases on standard dvd: they are Lions For Lambs and There Will Be Blood. I just don't get it.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

There Will Be Blood is a Paramount title--so that's why it will take a while for it to come out on Blu-ray.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
                        There Will Be Blood is a Paramount title--so that's why it will take a while for it to come out on Blu-ray.
                        Yeah, but Lions For Lambs is UA/MGM and that is Sony owned. Strange it wasn't on Blu.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"