X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Selection of currently available SACD players

super-audiocd.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, super-audiocd.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Just a quick update. David Birch-Jones, Marketing Manager, from Denon Electronics USA, has announced that Denon is now a licensee for SACD

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Audioclyde
      • Aug 2000

Thomas,

The SGHT review of the Pioneer universal player positively discussed its SACD performance, but I've heard from other sources that the Pioneer actually converts the SACD DSD to PCM. Do you know or have you got any insight about the Pioneer's performance? A high-end truly universal player would seem like a real winner.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Hi

Sorry I don't have that info. I sometimes am "behind the curve" as far as new equipment releases are concerned because of my individual boycott of Stereophile, and it's related products

I'll sniff around and see if there are any specifics available, regarding the Pioneer PCM topic

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Ok, that's enough sniffing :B

The answer is yes, and yes.

The Pioneer does downconvert the DSD to PCM. Remember that DSD can be downconverted to almost anything. Why Pioneer does this is beyond me, unless it's simply a cost saving device to get more use from the unit's Burr-Brown DACs.

DSD downconverted to PCM should make the best sounding PCM available, possibly the reason for the good SACD performance in the review. But to me it seems to be an under utilization of the of data available from the DSD process.

IMO, univeral players aren't the best choice if the goal is to maximize sonic performance. But, if the goal is best "bang for the buck", then they are a good choice.

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Audioclyde
            • Aug 2000

Thanks for the info. I would agree that separate units would likely be best, but space and cost considerations make a universal player attractive here. I'm certainly not "up" on the technical side, but I also agree that it seems strange for Pioneer to not take full advantage of SACD's DSD. I wish the SGHT review had been more informative on this and other issues.

What's your source for info. on the Pioneer?

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I'm not up on their technical aspects but, they sure are pretty!

I'm not sure if I could bare the cost any year soon but, I am amazed that when new technology hits the streets, we always judge if it is truly better
              than what is current. What is funny is with few exceptions it always is. I for one am looking forward to being awed!

Also, would cost be the the only reason for Pioneer downconverting the signal? It just doesn't add up to do this.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Randy

What's your source for info. on the Pioneer?
                Let's just say "inside sources", and no one will get mad. :B

John

If a product is being built to a specific "price point" this is logical. If it's a "cost-is-no-object" situation then it's an entirely different matter.

theAudioWorx
                Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

ThomasW,
                  I understand trying to meet the mid-fi market, what I don't understand is this would seem to be contrary to the reason the format was developed.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I have "inside sources" but they aren't in Product Development/Marketing at Pioneer.

Yes, that's why everyone is scratching their heads. IMO this is as about as logical as pulling 6 spark plug wires from a V-10 engine.

theAudioWorx
                    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Phil Rose
                      • Aug 2000

FWIW, I went to the Sony website and noticed that they no longer list the 777ES and instead show the new SCD-C333ES 5-disk SACD changer.

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Phil

The link you posted takes me to the TAN-1 $9000 power amp. With the SCD-1 link on the page as well

The SCD-1, and SCD-777ES are still readily available from places like "Oade Bros", and "J&R Music", but I have a feeling that the supply is definitely limited. Probably no more than 6 months at best. The SCD-1 will most likely be the first to be unavailable, because the demand for it has been taking up the available supply. The initial demand for the 777ES was low, that is why the price was dropped so much. But now demand for it has also picked up.

theAudioWorx
                        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Bing Fung
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2000

Thomas, how is your SACD working out for you? how you found a plethora of material?

Bing
                          Bing

Comment

• Phil Rose
                            • Aug 2000

Thomas,

You are correct sir. The link does take you to the TAN-1 but the two SACD players are on the side.

I had heard that the 777ES was going out of "print" but wasn't sure about the SCD1. I've seen folks mention some pretty good discounts for these players.

Right now I'm working on the back end of my system and need to wait for any really sexy front end components. That means that I'll probably be looking for the next generation of SACD's if and when I take the plunge.

How do you think that the technology is going to progress? I know that there are some amazing (read legendary) components that to this day don't have an equal. Do you think that the SCD1 is such a component or will it be bested in the future?

One other question, does the 777 have balanced outputs like the SCD1?

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Phil

I'm sure they will discontinue the 777ES first.

The differences are SCD-1 has balanced outs, potted power transformers and is "silver".
                              Look here, #6 in the FAQ'shttp://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/service/sacd.shtml

I'm afraid that when these initial models are discontinued, their "replacements" will be of significantly lower quality to target a mass market. And there will be only 1 high-end player available that will be at least as expensive as the SCD-1, so $5000+

The current price for the 777ES from Oade Bros is $1500 excluding shipping. I think J&R's price is $1600(they are an "authorized" Sony retailer). No 2nd generation player, at that price point is going to be of the build quality of the 777ES. Remember these players weigh 50+lbs. That's more than a lot of power amps.

theAudioWorx
                              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Bing

I love it.

I have a dozen SACD's and another 1/2 dozen on backorder. Currently there are more than 200 titles in print. But as of the last 6 weeks demand is outstripping supply. Sony is supposedly ramping up SACD disc production 250%.

Also remember it's also my main regular CD player. And it sounds better than my Sony XA-7ES. It now upgrades the sound in the "family room")

theAudioWorx
                                Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Here is the link on the Sony site to specs on both players.

FWTW, the actual weight is 58lbs

theAudioWorx
                                  Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2000

Looks to be the next must have toy That is unless I turn to new speakers :W

Where are you purchasing the titles from..? Online, Locally? Would you have a listing of current titles?

I can imagine how nice that sounds on your system Thomas.

Bing
                                    Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2000

Say, what's with the sliding top door? And do you actually have to clamp the disk to the spindle?

Bing
                                      Bing

Comment

• ThomasW
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Bing

Here's a site with a good list. There's a much bigger one but I lost the link.

The Sony is design with a fixed laser and a laterally moving disc transport. So there is a "hole" in the top, covered by a soleniod powered door. It slides open and the disc is placed on a spindle and there is a small weight placed on the spindle to press the disc flat. No clamp. This is similar to the mechanism in the XA-7ES

I'm buying from http://www.elusivedisc.com and http://www.hmv.com

From Americans, hmv is the best deal. The total cost delivered is $16.50US!

theAudioWorx
                                        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"