X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

stats re movie theater attendance

interesting stats here showing that attendance is actually going up not down due to DVD etc like some have claimed recently.

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Interesting. Are the "stats" just for Canada?

In the US, theaters are closing all over the place. Not specifically due to DVD, but because they overbuild so many miniplexes. There aren't enough people to fill the seats.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lexman
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2000

Thanks Andrew for providing us with the stats.

Additionally Thomas, major investment in "mega-complexes" has hurt local theater giant "Regal Cinimas". Who is Regal you ask? Just the largest theater owner in the world!

They did the buyout thing, and then started building these huge theaters. Unfortunately, demand hasn't seem to have kept up for things like bumper cars at a mall theater. It's a really cool looking place, but it just doesn't seem to draw that many people except maybe fri-sat night. Even then, they seem to come to the theater and leave the rest behind.

Lex

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Great Stats Andrew...

Maybe theater movie attendance is up because of the emmerging home theater market?

I know I certainly have attended more movie theaters since adopting Home entertainment as a hobby.

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I think the stats are for Canada only since its from Stats Canada but figured the trend would include the US as well. I think that although attendance is rising its not going up enough to fill all the new mega plex's that are being built.

Comment

• Lexman
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2000

I think two of the major reasons for the increase is 1. Higher number of quality actors available today. 2. Studios going after the big bucks by not only bringing us more big budget films, but also the marketing thereof.

Just thought I would throw that in there...

Lex

Lex

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"