X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Sony CD Megachanger questions

I picked up a Sony CDP-M555ES 400 disc megachanger on Ebay, and didn't get a manual for it. So basically I need a "Sony Megachangers for Dummies" overview of some of the features, such as:

The difference between "All discs continue" and "1 disc continue", shuffle, etc. I assume on shuffle 1 disc means shuffle the tracks on 1 disc, whereas all discs shuffle shuffles tracks on all discs. One question is, is there a way to shuffle discs without shuffling tracks; e.g. pick a disc at random but then play it straight through, then pick another disc at random?

How do I set up groups?

What does the "hit list" button do?

What is "Artist mode"?

Is there a place where I can download a copy of the owner's manual? I couldn't find it on the Sony site.

Thanks guys... KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The difference between "All discs continue" and "1 disc continue", shuffle, etc. I assume on shuffle 1 disc means shuffle the tracks on 1 disc, whereas all discs shuffle shuffles tracks on all discs

That's correct for the most part Remember that you can also shuffle within a goup or the whole changer if you desire.

One question is, is there a way to shuffle discs without shuffling tracks; e.g. pick a disc at random but then play it straight through, then pick another disc at random?

Not that I'm aware off...at least it isn't possible on mine.

How do I set up groups?

Simply select the disc that you want to add to a group and press any of the group buttons. You'll see it then light up as belonging to group 1 for example.

What does the "hit list" button do?

I believe it makes a list of songs you really like allowing you to play them back from any track you'd like...either mine doesn't have this or I've never used it but that makes sense to me.

What is "Artist mode"?

beats me

Is there a place where I can download a copy of the owner's manual? I couldn't find it on the Sony site.

hmm let me see what I can find.

Comment

• PMazz
      • May 2001

To set a CD to a certain group on mine I have to hit the group file button and then whatever group# I want to set it to. If it's set to a certain group# for shuffle, it'll just randomise those in the group. To get it to play an entire CD and then another, you can set it to a program. Mine has 3 programs of 32 items, either an entire CD or just a track.

Artist mode lets you shuffle thru all entrys by artist, although you have to manually enter the info.

Hit list is basically another program mode. You press the hit list button while a track is playing to add it and to play the hit list you press hit list first and then play. 32 tracks can be entered.

Pete
      Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

oops forgot to mention you needed to press group first ops:

Comment

• SiliGoose
          • Aug 2000

You're not missing much with the manual. The interface is OK once you've learned it but MY GOD the people who designed it must be idiots. There is very little intuitive about using Sony Megachangers. I'm so glad Andrew was able to help me set up my Pronto to run SuperNudeList or I might have gone nuts!

-Sili
          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Does anyone here have a megachanger with the 2-way remote (RM-DX450 or similar)? It's pretty non-intuitive as well, typical Sony. I noticed that sometimes the track list on CD-Text discs will download into the remote and other times they don't, and I don't know what to press to make that happen.

Even a non-intuitive manual is better than no manual. Most every other company has downloadable manuals on their web site. Not Sony apparently...

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Eduardo
              Moderator emeritus
              • Jun 2002

Kevin,

I have the Sony CDX-400. It should have the same interface as yours. Send me an e-mail and I will drop it in the mail tomorrow.

Eduardo

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

Does the CDX-400 have the 2 way remote? Is it possible to scan or copy the manual, so you don't sacrifice your only copy?

Maybe I'll jump on Sonystyle.com and see if I can order a replacement manual.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Eduardo
                  Moderator emeritus
                  • Jun 2002

I can scan the manual in tomorrow and send it via e-mail. I don't have the 2 way remote either. Sony's usually have a seperate manual for the specialty remotes.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

Eduardo, thanks for scanning and emailing the manual. It's a big help, even if it doesn't cover the 2 way remote. I've figured out some tricks.

To do a "disc shuffle" (without shuffling tracks as well), I just reach down and spin the jog dial. This way I'm "randomly" picking a disc to play. If a disc is already playing, spinning the dial selects the next disc to play.

I discovered I can get the track list to download into the remote by pressing the "Track" button on the remote. If I press the Back button (from the blank screen) it'll show the current disc & track.

I haven't set up any groups yet. I'll wait until I have most of my discs copied and loaded before I do that. I am burning the discs with CD Text so I know what I'm listening to, or to make it easier to find discs.

In any case, it's a fun toy.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"