X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ted
    • May 2006

Test Disc For Listening To 703 and 804

This may be a basic question, but I don't know the answer so: Is there any noticable sonic advantage to bringing original CD's to listen to and compare the 703 and 804s versus burning a disc and just having the tracks I would like to compare? Not that it is that big of deal to bring multiple discs, but less would be even easier to drag around.

Thanks!
    Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Yes, compression. That is determined by how you copy the CD. If you do a bit-to-bit copy of the CD, then there will be no difference.

I have found it in my experience that compression kills the soundstage. Don't know the technical reason for it, but it's easy to hear the difference.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• dknightd
      • Mar 2006

I like using compilation disks I make myself. It is easier than shuffling CD's.
      Just burn them using uncompressed source material and they will sound exactly the same as the original disks.

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

Use software like EAC (exact audio copy) and everything will be OK

Comment

• Ted
          • May 2006

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I figured that would be the case, but wsn't sure.

Ted
          Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• xixel
            • Dec 2005

I'm a lossless audio freak, my entire collection is digital (hard-drive)

I have a nice thread you can learn everything quikcly how to make secure, and accurate rips if you're interested - http://forum.calonet.org/index.php/topic,127.0.html

Comment

• alpina
              • Nov 2005

what's the best software for mac user for lossless rips?

julie
              My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• xixel
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by alpina

julie
                I would recommend using xACT, seems their site is down right now but I'm sure you can find mirrors via google.

Comment

• dknightd
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by alpina

julie
                  I use iTunes. Seems to work fine.

Comment

• alpina
                    • Nov 2005

been using itunes also but wasnt sure if it was the best way to do it

will check out xACT

cheers,

julie
                    My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dknightd
                      I use iTunes. Seems to work fine.
                      Ditto
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"