X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

January Issue of The Perfect Vision is the last

I was a long time subscriber to this once great magazine. Back in its hey day under the publishing ownership of Harry Pearson, it was one of the best in its field. It not only dealt with the beginnings of home theater, the laserdisc and widescreen , but liked to look at the technical side of things, and even delved into cinema in all its glory. One issue in 1994 was devoted to the birth of Cinemascope. Well over the years, after Harry sold out, the magazine began its transition to just another home theater magazine, but still offering some excellent writing. Then in recent months, Editor Robert Harley handed over the reigns to an editor from Sound And Vision and after that it became a consumer electronics magazine, heavily leaning toward computer technology and all the things associated with it. Occasionally you'd see some HT related stuff, but for me it just became a worthless read . My sub still has a few issues and I'm told I will receive the Absolute Sound for the balance. Oh, well, it doesn't matter. I've recently subscribed to Sound And Vision, which has a new editor, a new look and more geared toward the home theater folk.

Farewell to what was once a helluva magazine.
    My Homepage!
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
    Farewell to what was once a helluva magazine.
    Yep for quite a while it was the 'go-to' magazine for high-end video information...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• deke
      • Dec 2005

I was a big fan also. However, I didn't care for the switch in the last year from a magazine dedicated to Home Theater to one covering "everything electronic" (e.g. cameras). That probably alienated some folks.

The other thing that turned me off was is that now the Buyers Guide has a recommended receiver from every single brand name (as opposed to picking a few top ones from the multitude). These are just my gripes, but in my belief they are samples of what contributed to its end.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Bummer. Always sad to see the demise of another A/V magazine. (I've been in the employ of one myself)
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• deke
          • Dec 2005

Does this mean the online version is also shutting down?

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Not necessarily (unless they announce on the site that it is being shut down). Ultimate A/V ceased publication a while back, but they still send out a newsletter and have an active web presence.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by deke
              Does this mean the online version is also shutting down?
              Actually, the AVguide website says that The Perfect Vision will be merging with PLAYBACK, their new on-line magazine devoted to music lovers. What Perfect Vision has to do with the ears is beyone me. :P
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

Puts a whole new spin on the phrase "now see hear". :>) (Yes, it is supposed to be "here" instead of "hear".)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• 8thDwarf
                  • Feb 2005

Yes, I got notification the second issue of an 8 dollar subscription, little disappointed until I read subscribers would recieve the balance of PV sub in Absolute Sound if you have a current sub of that mag :T

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"