X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Fujitsu quits the display business

Sad news. I love my Fujitsu and always thought they produced one of if not the best Plasmas on the market.

I guess with HD material now wide spread people just dont see enough of a differene between poor, average and excellent processing.
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

It's also a question of profit margins. The downward pressure makes it difficult for companies who are less diversified to remain in the game. One can remain a niche producer of other types of gear (usually audio, rather than video) but displays require a major commitment of production resources.

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

I think Pioneer Elite owns that market. Runnco and Fujitsu are 2 of the only displays I feel compare to the Pioneer Elites. Shame as I also like them.

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Dmantis
        I think Pioneer Elite owns that market. Runnco and Fujitsu are 2 of the only displays I feel compare to the Pioneer Elites. Shame as I also like them.
        this is ust my guess, but the reality is the market is owned by something much 'cheaper" then pioneer elite.

Fujitsu didnt close shop because of others in its league outselling/doing them...they closed shop because people dont see the value in high end displays. They are a major commodity and people just arnt spending on things like a 8k plasma regardless of quality. Sad but true.

Comment

• littlesaint
          • Jul 2007

Also consider that the market is changing. Sony just announced they are leaving the RPTV market, and others are expected to follow. Flat panel prices will drop and it will be even harder for high-end manufacturers to distinguish their product and justify the higher cost. New technology may change things again, but the most promising stuff is still in its infancy and R&D isn't cheap.
          Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• tftn
            • Dec 2007

i have never even heard that Fujistu produce display. seems their business wasn't runing well.

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Doesn't Matsushita (Panasonic) make something like 50% of the plasma bags used in the tv market? Was true a couple years ago , but I couldn't swear to it now.
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by tftn
                i have never even heard that Fujistu produce display. seems their business wasn't runing well.
                fujitsu was the ultra hi end in plasma displays. Unless you were in specialty shops you would never see them. They arnt displays you would ever see in Best Buy.

Comment

• mattburk
                  • Feb 2003

they did not market the product well, and they were no better than the pioneers imho.
                  www.mycstone.com
                  www.coverednow.com
                  www.biarenton.com

Comment

• BasiCEvil
                    • Feb 2006

We have a Fujitsu 42" in our conference room. The unit was produced in 1998. Heavy as hell and a little on the bulky side at 5.5" deep.

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

Basic evil doer. you answered your own statement, 10 years ago technology.

We need you to use a first name with your posts, if you are going to keep a name like basic evil. I will not address you personally again by this name.
                      Doug
                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"