X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Animation museum coming to Winnipeg

WINNIPEG -- The world's first animation art museum is on its way to Winnipeg's downtown, if city hall and other levels of government provide support for the project.

Local art dealer David Loch, who has secured commitments for millions of dollars worth of animation, paintings and other works from throughout cinematic history, is eyeing the long-closed Metropolitan Theatre for the gallery -- an attraction he says would bring the city fame and tourism riches now only dreamed of.

With the concept "now in the talking stages," Loch confirmed yesterday, the museum could be on the verge of coming to life.

"It would be wonderful," Loch told The Sun. "Nothing in the world has been done in this regard. It's unbelievable."

While letting city hall and the Doer government in on the plan, the proprietor of Loch Gallery -- who brought the 'Peg its $285,000 original oil painting of Winnie the Pooh in November 2000 -- has been talking to property owners and developers about renovating a downtown building for the interactive museum, which would house animation cells and paintings of filmdom's most beloved and obscure characters.

The art dealer has lined up two major collections to be donated, including a haul of art from Eastern Canada valued at about $10 million that he said "would blow you away."

A redevelopment of the historic Met, he noted, would be a perfect fit due to plans to show films of animated favourites and exhibit primitive cartoon techniques.

Loch didn't estimate an overall project cost but stressed it would operate as a non-profit trust with money primarily from private donors.

CentreVenture Development Corp. chairwoman Ida Albo refused to confirm the core-renewal agency is discussing the proposal.

"If there is a deal we're doing, we don't comment on it because we don't want to jeopardize it," Albo said. "That's part of our success as well."

'UNIQUE CONCEPT'

Doer couldn't be reached for his take on the concept, which Tourism Winnipeg director Penny McMillan called "a unique concept in our area of the world."

Murray, meanwhile, said he hasn't seen the specific plan but confirmed CentreVenture is studying numerous ideas for the old Donald Street theatre, which has been closed for 15 years.

"That might have been one of the proposals," the mayor said.

The governments would be asked to bring only moderate financing or property support to make the deal happen, Loch said, noting the concept would become an integral component of Murray's plan to market Winnipeg -- and its connection to Pooh -- to families across North America.

McMillan noted the idea could take the city far above the $427 million it made from 2.4 million visitors in '99, the year of the Pan Am Games.

"This sounds like it could be a headliner," she said. "The concept sounds exciting."

Tying in with Winnipeg's coming Pooh museum at Assiniboine Park, the new showcase would feature local tributes to artists such as Oscar-nominated Cordell Barker and even the character Homer Simpson, whose connection to Winnipeg was recently revealed

• Matt Broeska
    • Nov 2000

if this truly happens, and it's at the met, i'd stop there everyday on my way home from work!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

• Eduardo
      Moderator emeritus
      • Jun 2002

I wouldn't mind doing that for a vacation - go to Canada and go to an animation museum. Very cool.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

As long as I don't have to see Pratt, I'd go! LOL. :LOL:

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Doug :

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

ops: 8O Caught!

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"