X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

what if story...

Here's an interesting hypothetical question for you to chew on...what if some rich uncle decided to treat you to what ever HT equipement you wanted...money no option. So you go out and buy the toys you only dreamed about owning...how long do you think you'd be happy with that gear before you started thinking about changing something? The point being what is really the goal of our upgrades? Is it really to reach some state of perfection or is it something else? Honeslty if the above happened to me I think I'd get bored with the gear sooner rather then later. Sure that inital state of awe would likely last much longer then my typical upgrades but I still firmly believe that I'd start looking at other ways to improve something etc...I guess this hobby is more then gear and movies for me its a venue for my maddness

• Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Well, what else could you do, concentrate on power, isolation, cables, accoustics. I mean, if you sold something, you couldn't replace it with anything better. So, your sort of at the end of the upgrade tunnel. All we can do, is go backwards or tweak. Myself? I would choose to tweak.

While we are at it, better work on the list. Uncle, I need 2 systems, one a 2 channel and 1 a home theater. ok?

2 channel
    Sonus faber Amati Hommage
    Hovland pre-amp
    Krell Master monoblocks
    CD player? I need to shop.
    one of those 12K turntables too!
    Cables? Do you have to ask? LOL

Home Theater
    Those Tag Mcclaren mains sure look nice. Maybe 6 of them and center? Or 6 Cremona. Hmm, a center, what to do?
    Levinson monoblocks by 7.
    MC-12 maxed or maybe a blanca II
    6 DVD changers bringing capacity to 1200
    subs? 4 Aerial subs for 2 stacks
    front projection, the best
    with an Elite RPTV for normal viewing

Yeehaa, that was fun!

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
      Well, what else could you do, concentrate on power, isolation, cables, accoustics. I mean, if you sold something, you couldn't replace it with anything better. So, your sort of at the end of the upgrade tunnel. All we can do, is go backwards or tweak. Myself? I would choose to tweak.
      Well, until some newfangled better gadget comes out anyway! After all, you'll want to jump on that new 10.2 surround processor for your HT or a new SDHDQACD (Super Duper Hi Definition Quasi Analog Compact Disc) player for your 2 channel system, when they come out, right?

As for me, I'd be asking Uncle for a nice big house to put the HT toys in first! What's the point of putting a 30K system into a 100K house? 8O

Then as for what I'd get, who the heck knows. I like the way my system sounds now, though some nice separates would be first on my list. Then a front projection setup (assuming Uncle buys me the mansion) And of course some nice interconnects named after my favorite pets.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
      My HT Site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

that's part of my point though if you didn't haven't to worry about the gear you had would you be satisfied with the hobby as a whole?

Comment

• Uncle Clive
          Former Moderator
          • Jan 2002

Just wondering..................when are you guys planning on asking me for all this money and stuff? :boozer:

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
          CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Damn clive you caught on to my master plan

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Andrew, let me list my "dream" system for two-channel:
              1. Rockport Hyperion loadspeakers $91,500
                Rockport System III Sirius turntable/tonearm $73,750
                Accuphase Balanced DP-100 SACD transport & DC-101 digital processor $28,000
                Boulder dedicated 2008 Balanced Phono Pre-amp $29,000
                Boulder 2010 Balanced Pre-amp $36,000
                Boulder 2050 monoblock amplifier $62,000/pair
                Power system TBD $$$ (who knows?)
                Quantum Cable custom designed interconnects/speaker cables $$$ (who knows?)
              Now, after a lineup like that at $320,000 plus power, cabling, stands and tweaks,why on earth would I ever want to upgrade? This would be the pinnacle and I'd know it. No further worries about "what's new or next" - just sit back and enjoy. Yeah, something may supercede these pieces, but I wouldn't care - no kiddin'.

Oh man, let it happen . . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Tex,
                Rockport Hyperion Speakers $91,500.

Is that for one or the pair? I just like to know before I write the cheque whether I am getting one or two... 8)

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

George,

Today is your lucky day! That price is for BOTH! Yep, 1,200 pounds of loudspeakers will be yours for the absolute steal of a deal at $75.84 US per pound.

When can we come over for the demo? :yeah:

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Now that George and I have hi-jacked the thread, I'll get back OT. :B

Thinking about this some more over lunch, I'm convinced that with the system I listed - or one of comparable ability - I would be happy for the rest of my listening days. One more facet that does play into this is hearing: I'm fairly certain that this system would output music at a level of quality/spaciousness/accuracy past that which I could physically discern, and therefore upgrading would be a superficial exercise at best.

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Ok David suppose this did come true and you had that setup at home...would you still participate as much in discussions online about gear or would it switch over to more talk about music...or would you drop of the online scene all together?

HT is like life in that its a journey...but what if you actually reached the destination is the question at hand

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

Quantum Cable custom designed interconnects/speaker cables $$$ (who knows?)
                          Well, as luck would have it, I know. Just give me a blank check and tell me the connections. Total bill should be less than 10K for the best of everything,

Lex
                          Doug

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Andrew
                            would you still participate as much in discussions online about gear or would it switch over to more talk about music...or would you drop of the online scene all together

I'd still participate regarding everything - music is only half of it. I love this hobby and I love sharing with my thoughts, feelings and questions about it with you guys (and gals). With a system like that, some people would become uber-elitists - but not me. Seriously. A system doesn't make me or define me - it simply enhances my life experiences.

On a less serious note, you'd just have to deal with the slightly hysterical giggling going on every so often.

Originally posted by C@man
                            Total bill should be less than 10K for the best of everything

Oh come on Lex, don't be a piker. You know that the cables are supposed to be about 15% of the total cost of the rest of the system. So, if you figure a total of $350,000 after tweaks and stands and accoustic treatments, that'd make your cable fee about $52,500. Get with the program man - it's only my uncle's money! :B

David - HTGuide flunky
                            Our "Theater"
                            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Eduardo
                              Moderator emeritus
                              • Jun 2002

Here's my 2 cents -

I'm a tweaker or even better yet a disector. Even if I could get the perfect system

Originally posted by David Meek

I'd still participate regarding everything - music is only half of it. I love this hobby and I love sharing with my thoughts, feelings and questions about it with you guys (and gals). With a system like that, some people would become uber-elitists - but not me. Seriously. A system doesn't make me or define me - it simply enhances my life experiences.

I agree with David. The best part of this hobby is sharing. Or as my fiance call it "Showing Off".

I heard a saying once - "The day you stop learning is the day you die." And there is always something new to learn.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

Oh come on Lex, don't be a piker. You know that the cables are supposed to be about 15% of the total cost of the rest of the system. So, if you figure a total of $350,000 after tweaks and stands and accoustic treatments, that'd make your cable fee about $52,500. Get with the program man - it's only my uncle's money!
                                LOL, well when you put it that way. 75,000 You know you should spend a little extra on interconnects. hehe.

Lex
                                Doug

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

That's the spirit, Lex!

Andrew, this is a good thread. It's good to have someone throw in a little "bigger picture" influence every so often.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                  Our "Theater"
                                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"